Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ripper

No Ripper yet again? Criminal...

So I'm concepting one up, and I'll either model it myself, or hopefully someone better than me will like the concept and model it so it can be put in game.

Since this isn't really a mod or a real model WIP (yet) I'm posting this here for scrutiny rather than in the mod sections. I wanted some community feedback on the design, since you're the guys who will be hopefully enjoying this thing with me when it gets made and put in game. Be gentle.

A few variants. Keep in mind that all of these are works in progress.

First one. Decided I wanted to go with a sort of cross between the big heavy industrial feel of the Flak Cannon mixed with the smooth sexy look of the Link Gun. The blade sits on a magnetic rail or something, and shoots out. The arm slides in along the rail, deposits the new blade, slides back, bends down and picks up a new blade and then the cycle repeats.

The second iteration. The rail has been covered with a housing, and the top of the gun has been opened up a bit to give it more depth.

Third iteration. The blade now loads from the big ammo drum on the right side, and the mandible thing on the left is... Not sure yet, I was just messing with forms and trying to get it to look cool. I think it could play a role in secondary fire if anything.

Gimme your comments. I plan to do a lot more work on this and do more sketches in different styles, so tell me what you like, don't like, what you'd like to see, etc. And cross your fingers that this works and we get a real nice classic back the way it should be.

looking good. get a 3rd person model done as well mate. darker texture however. give it a more grungy look like the old ripper

Comment

Beautiful weapon there man.

I'm not sure if the "sleek" style would fit that well with the ripper. The link and the shock pull off a very good sleek style, but the flak and the ripper seemed more industrial and grimy.

However, your combination of the flak and link styles seems to have worked out very well.

Comment

That design looks awesome.

Maybe consider putting the razor drum underneath the weapon like UT99's Ripper? That way it can be loaded like a conventional weapon. The idea about a magnetic rail is good, the blades can sorta float within the weapon like before, and can be shot out ala electric charge, like a deadly maglev lol.

Comment

Tbh while the design does look very nice, IMO sexy linkgun style just does not suit a gun that shoots out big fat razor blades. The ut99 one had spikes, looked mean and just fitted its name perfectly.

It would be really cool if it was a necris weapon though.

Comment

Dude if you made a ripper, I would love you.

Comment

I like the design, although it could use some spikes or razor edges. Possibly a thinner, taller profile, rather than the short, wide one it has.

Comment

The third one is awesome.

I hated the Ripper in UT99 because it was the dumbest looking gun, but if they used your third drawing, I'd be using it night and day!

Comment

Nice, great to see people love the Ripper. Sometimes when I listen to my UT fanatic friend trash the Ripper I start to lose hope.

New version with just a few edits. Last for tonight. The left side arm now goes into the gun and aids with loading, and the whole gun has been slimmed down since it was too fat.

And just for kicks an in game:

Originally posted by Reise View Post
                  Maybe consider putting the razor drum underneath the weapon like UT99's Ripper?
                  I'll play around with the drum placement a bit for sure. I'm mostly looking for the first person view to be interesting, so in that respect putting the drum on the bottom might not be as interesting.

Originally posted by Cthulhu View Post
                  I'm not sure if the "sleek" style would fit that well with the ripper. The link and the shock pull off a very good sleek style, but the flak and the ripper seemed more industrial and grimy.
                  Yeah, that's the biggest crit so far. I might do another version that's more grimy. Keep in mind that this would look considerably more industrial with a grunge texture though. This is just simple form blockouts to get a good shape down.

Originally posted by Aurora|XT View Post
                  The ut99 one had spikes, looked mean and just fitted its name perfectly.

It would be really cool if it was a necris weapon though.
                  I think that would fit, but... I don't like the necris. -_- I can try a spiky concept though. Would definitely fit the UT3 vibe.

Originally posted by Wail of Suicide View Post
                  Possibly a thinner, taller profile, rather than the short, wide one it has.
                  Good call on the thinner profile. Thinned it down and it looks much better imo. Not sure I want to make it taller, but I can see how it look tomorrow.

Thanks for the comments guys, keep them coming. Ideas for loading mechanisms and interesting concepts are more than welcome!

Comment

Love the new, thinner version. Throw on some spikes and maybe a cool looking decal or two and and chipped coating of paint and I think we have a winner. I always missed the ripper and so do all of my friends. Actually I'm surprised to hear that people didn't like it. As far as the drum placement is concerned I actually really like the side loading version you have going there. Keep up the good work

~FalseEmperor aka False

Comment

Reminds me of a spinfusor somehow

Looking good

Comment

I love it but it needs to be darker and more industrial.

Comment

Wasn't there an official concept model some time in the past? Maybe I was just hallucinating or confusing it with the translocator.

Comment

I just wish it was stock

Comment

What if they include one in the bonus pack?

Comment

Working...
                              X