Defence vs. Camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I think that no one is getting the concept of ctf. Its a combination of caturing the flag + defending your own.

To much players are only busy killing or capturing or defending the flag carrier.
    Given that it should be fun to play for everyone but if you want to have frags, go play DM or some other gametype.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If I notice a flag carrier running the same route over and over I will try and position myself so I can blast him on a blind corner or something.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Captain Sarcastic View Post
    Well technically a lot of people don't know what camping is because they use the term incorrectly.
    I call it camping, but I don't consider the word necessarily derogatory.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    camping should be avoided in Death Match games
    as for the other game modes like CTF and WF, defense is all part of tactics
    and sitting still for hours is sometimes needed for a successful campaign

as for spawn camping, thats just lame, tho it can be a successful tactic.

note: all is fair in love and war

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hehe, I was there - the first round a teammate parked the tank in the prime - the second time I did the same - but the other side did succeed in blowing up my tank by a combination of rockets through the side door and a manta. Then they took the tank node, and their tank then went on defence -which was effectively taken out by a demmer.

So the moral of the story is - there is a counter to this tactic.
    -Defending your core is never an effective tactic.

But it's defence. For this map, defence is crucial. It isn't camping.
    What is unacceptable is attacking locked spawnpoints with mines or tanks.

The bollard in downtown should stop the tank from going up the stairs in the primary buildingthough. They don't. It perhaps would be better if they did.

As for unwritten rules - the writers of the rules are Epic. A simple score tweak would help strengthen the unwritten rul

Any footsoldier frags within spawnareas should not give the fragger any points if the node or core of that spawnzone is locked.

Anybody in a vulnerable node is fair game. Anybody in a vehichle is fair game. But if you are at a locked core or locked nodes, it is a reasonable tactic even sometimes to attack that area to disrupt the attack and stablise your nodes.
    But

You should get no points for doing it. If you do it you do it for a tactical reason and not to get easy kills, fine.

Lastly, us good players should always protect the weaker players in our team, and if we do have somebody who baserapes, I always make sure I give him an extra hard time whenever I see him.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by JUNGLIST MOVEMENT View Post
    Where did you find this??
    This is the third time I have seen this appear on a forum

as for def vs camping..
    There is no fairness in war.

wheres me sammich?
    I don't remember how I came accross it originally. But it changed the way I play UT. A must read for anyone interested in gaming ethics.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by bclagge View Post
    Don't know what a scrub is? Learn how to play to win:
    http://www.sirlin.net/Features/featu...ToWinPart1.htm

If you're playing to win, then sometimes a "cheap" tactic is the best one you can employ. It just depends on the situation. Spawn vehicle killing constantly isn't going to benefit you much. Doing it to prevent a tail when you're running with the flag will be extremely beneficial. Every tactic has a counter, especially if someone is predictably using the same tactic over and over.
    Where did you find this??
    This is the third time I have seen this appear on a forum

as for def vs camping..
    There is no fairness in war.

UT3's game pace is too fast compared to the onslaught of 2k4
    you cant camp unless you can do it well
    wheres me sammich?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Reise View Post
    Defense or not, putting spider mines in the enemy base spawn is downright low and noobish. Nothing justifies that. I can understand enemy nodes, or common pathways, but right in the spawn? It's just bad sportsmanship.
    i agree...kinda spam kind of game...not very funny i say...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Reise View Post
    Defense or not, putting spider mines in the enemy base spawn is downright low and noobish. Nothing justifies that. I can understand enemy nodes, or common pathways, but right in the spawn? It's just bad sportsmanship.
    Then you kill the *******. And do the same to his base. It's no worse than someone carpet bombing you with the SPMA. You can either chose to rise above it and stick to your own idea of sportsmanship, or you can play dirty just like they are. The player I saw who consistently did nothing but spam spiders into the opposing base (a) was the worst player, so couldn't actually kill anyone except by spamming spiders (b) wasn't helping their team, as the base was locked and everyone was out winning nodes elsewhere, and (c) was taking a player slot from someone who could have been helping, thus effectively putting their team a man down. Their team rarely won, and certainly not from anything this particular player was helping with.

If Epic didn't think it was a legitimate tactic, they would stop it. When they found out that turrets could take down ONS nodes, they simply changed the game so turrets couldn't harm nodes. When people started riding mantas (circumventing the "no flag in a manta" rule) they left it in as emergent gameplay.

When it comes right down to it, there is simply no point complaining about how anyone else plays the game within the rules set out by Epic. My best advice is "don't get mad, get even". You'll enjoy giving them a taste of their own medicine, and at the end of the day, winning the game is the sweetest revenge.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by EffeKt View Post
    How would you define defense and camping? If they are along the same lines of 'protecting' something, that requires to be in one spot or spots for a majority of the time.
    Well technically a lot of people don't know what camping is because they use the term incorrectly.

Originally camping was when you set up fairly statically around some particularly attractive spot (such as a superhealth or double damage), and just killed people who came to that spot looking for the powerup/health/whatever. It's primarily something that comes from deathmatch/PVP style of games, when all you had to do was kill other players.

Now we have team games with objectives (such as VCTF/CTF/WAR), and people use the term "camping" for anyone that stays in one spot. It's absurd to call someone a camper when they are defending a game critical objective when one of the key parts of that game is to defend those same objectives. You can't "camp your own flag" when you are stopping the other team from taking it and scoring. You might as well berate the opposing team for entering your base in the first place.

Does a goalie camp his goal when saving shots in soccer? Does a race driver camp his line when he blocks someone from passing? Does a security guard camp his bank when he protects the vault? Of course not, they are doing what they are supposed to be doing!

I can see how you could still call someone a camper if they setup somewhere in the same style as I described above for a deathmatch game, but in team/objective based games, that would actually disadvantage your team. While a player is camping somewhere on the map, they are not helping their team either capture or defend the game objectives.

That's the real difference between camping and defending. If you're helping your team by completing or defending objectives, then you are not camping. If you are disrupting or suppressing the enemy, then you are not camping. If you are sniping/bombing or otherwise abusing the enemy to the point where they are incandescent with rage, constantly chasing you, having to run around to pick up weapons instead of blocking or chasing your flag runners, you are not camping. If your enemies prefer to spend time whining about your actions instead of playing or getting their flag back, then you are not camping. If you are making the opposing team waste time running across the map for you to kill them time and time again in your flag room, while you can be killed and respawn fast enough to take them down whilst still at your flag, you are not camping.

You are merely choosing an effective style of play that the opposing team is not able to deal with in any meaningful way, except by whining and *****ing about "camping" like crying little girls.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by EffeKt View Post
    How would you define defense and camping? If they are along the same lines of 'protecting' something, that requires to be in one spot or spots for a majority of the time.
    Agreed! It's Called Capture The Flag... Not .... Give The Flag!

I camp on the flag sometimes! Dont Like it? .... Tough S!!! deal with it! Like I said Earlier.... I play defense and defence only! and I will use any and all options available to me to make sure people cant snag the flag from my team!!

Muhahahahahaha

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Stone-Scissor-Paper, there is a Counter for every Tactic.
    But usually, there are Lame tactics too, for example V-CTF-Suspense: There are two Respawnpoints, one in the Big House near the Flag, and the Second in the smaller House, besides the Tank and the Raptor. You can not entry the big House with Vehicles, so it is quite a save Place. But the small House is not Protected, so an Opponent Manta can kill everyone who`s just got Respawned. That really sucks. And the only way to get rid of this ******* is a lucky hit with the Tank or a Avril.
    Thanks to the Rooftop, the Ultimate Weapon against a Manta, the Reaper, can not help this Time...

Leave a comment:

• replied

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Leo View Post
    anti-camp mutator ^^

if someone in note,flag-area whit a vehicle like a quater range 20*20 feets a counter will start und after 5 sec no leaving the zone..bääm

some camping is nice but parking the tank on a flag is a bit lame
    Sounds like you're a manta-run *****. They don't like anything sitting on the flag blocking them, and they always want to be in and out of the flag zone very quickly. You'd like a mutator to keep the flag clear for your and your manta-running chums wouldn't you?

Sticking a vehicle on a flag is a valid tactic to slow down fast flag attacks. If you were any good at anything except sitting on the manta wing, you'd get in there and steal the vehicle, driving it back to your base before putting it on your own flag. That's what I call style.

As a defender, I love those guys who drive vehicles into the flag area. When they get out, I steal their hellbenders and kill them with their own ride. They are most surprised when they grab my flag and find they can't get back into their vehicle and someone is shooting at them from inside.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X