No announcement yet.

Why has the sniper a limited range ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No not EVERYONE hated the lightning gun. Where's your source for that info..did you survey everyone who has ever played UT2004/3? I thought it was a great gun.

On the subject of the post...I think the shock rifle combo even exceeds the distance of the sniper rifle. I tried shooting a shock ball and let it fly for a good minute and was still able to combo it when it was a tiny speck on the screen.

Comment

To whom this may concern: Okay!!! No one cares whether or not you like the Lightning Gun! That was then; this is now!

Originally posted by Curiosity View Post
      I went ahead and checked the unrealscript code of the weapons, and it seems indeed that no specific distance cap is specified for the sniper rifle. It therefore uses the default weapon range from the generic weapon class, which is hard coded at 16384. I have no idea of the unit scale used by the game, though.

I also checked the shock rifle and it doesn't set its own range either so it probably have the same value.
      If I recall correctly, most ONS maps from UT2004 (havent checked the maps in UT3, but they might've gotten bigger) were in a box with 32768 uu side lengths. So ideally, like many people have noticed, your sniper rifle would stop short about halfway across the map (like from home base to the deemer tower in Torlan, for example)

However, most of these maps did not have large, unobstructed views across the map. Torlan had fog ... eventually. Crossfire had towers, Arctic Stonghold was foggy and mountainous, etc. etc. etc. So it may be a map flaw, and not a weapon flaw.

If all this is true, than I think that the range should be increased slightly, because I will probably come across this problem and recall this thread .

For your random viewing pleasure:

16384uu / 16uu-per-ft = 1024ft range for sniper and shock. Thats less than a quarter-mile...

Comment

so you guys are telling me that the sniper rifle can only fire as far as the enforcer and you guys are OK with that?
        and stop going "oh the .... in 2k4 did ... nobody cares. READ THE TITLE OF THIS FORUM.
        its not impossible to have more range on the weapons, in unreal 1 the sniper rifle had unlimited range, let me repeat UNLIMITED, and i thought ut3 was supposed to be more advanced? am i wrong? hmm must be.

Comment

its like that for every weapon, if i see shock balls comming my way they will eventually disappear if they go too far, same with rockets, turrets, sniper, etc. its kinda funny to see someone shoot you with the sniper from far across the map and seeing the bullet stop right in front of your face, i remember i was building some big ut99 maps and sniping from base to base was useless because it didnt reach that far

lightning gun ftw

Comment

lighting gun was horrible. but i do agree that the sniper rifle should have a bit longer range, but it can't be unlimited cause that would **** ppl off too much anyway, being shot by someone you can't even hope to see...

Comment

Rockets are self propelled and possibly accelerates during it's flight path, so as long as there is firey stuff coming out of the *** end it will travel, how it avoids gravity I do not know. A bullet on the other hand is always falling as soon as it comes out the barrel and I imagine would be decelerating as soon as it left the barrel because of air resistance and not being self propelled. Also It doesn't matter how fast or slow the bullet has left the barrel the bullet will fall to the ground at the same acceleration as a bullet dropped out of your hand. So to calculate how long it will take the fired bullet to hit the ground, you need only calculate the time for a bullet to fall to the ground from the same height as the rifle barrel. (maybe throw a weapon?)
              So if UT3 uses true projectile physics simply find a partner who is willing to be shot at. Move out to just before bullet range stops. Now as you back up raise the trajectory by deliberately aiming above their head. after a while you will be able to that on the fly.

(thats if UT3 is using true trajectory path physics)

Comment

Originally posted by Gerkin View Post
                that would **** ppl off too much anyway, being shot by someone you can't even hope to see...
                ahem SNIPER rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by Curiosity View Post
                  it seems indeed that no specific distance cap is specified for the sniper rifle. It therefore uses the default weapon range from the generic weapon class, which is hard coded at 16384. I have no idea of the unit scale used by the game, though.
                  It's just a little under the maximum visibility in most maps, sadly. A default of 25000 would have fixed this issue with no noticeable performance loss.

Originally posted by RaidenWolf View Post
                  if UT3 uses true projectile physics
                  Nope, sorry. What UT3 does when you fire the sniper/stinger/shock/enforcer is simply check along a straight line, starting at the barrel, for the specified distance (of 16384 unreal units), for the first thing it hits. That's it. There is no bullet drop in UT3, and only the flak shards deal less damage at larger distances (but it's not as if they slow down).

Comment

Why has the sniper a limited range ?

because i like to see you cry my little kiddy

Comment

I think the sniper rifle has great range. Are you all holding down the alt fire (aim) button to let it zoom all the way in?

Comment

Originally posted by Shatter66 View Post
                        I think the sniper rifle has great range. Are you all holding down the alt fire (aim) button to let it zoom all the way in?
                        lulz
                        "Are you sure your computer is plugged in?"

Comment

A Bug in UT3? Impossible!

Maybe this is used to avoid that Snipers would shoot you from across the Map, unreachable with other Weapons than a Sniper-Rifle.
                          Remember: there is a litte Chance to hit this this small, shooting Pixel with your Shock-Rifle, like Paper, Scissors, Stone or so.

Or, if the Range-limit of the Sniper and the Shock-Rifle are the same, this could possible be an issue of the Game-internal Colission-Check-Routine, maybe they can not (or do not want) check Colissions over that Range.

A Rocket is an Entity by his own, it is traveling trough the map like a Player, with own Colission-Checks. The Rocket flys across the Map until something is in the Way.

I Would prefer the first Option, it's limitet cause the Gameplay.

Comment

Working...
                          X