Why has the sniper a limited range ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why has the sniper a limited range ?

I was aiming from one side of the map (Torlan) to the other side, and player was standing still, I tried 2 times ... but it seemed like the bullet didn't arrive Why would they do this? What is this ****? :/

What map was it?

Comment

Originally posted by Taboen View Post
      What map was it?
      Read the post, there's a clue in there.

I haven't tried it myself in UT3 but the sniper rifle was limited in 2k4 as well. I remember on big sniping maps you could fire at someone all you wanted and you couldn't hit him beyond a certain distance.

Comment

Originally posted by Sidesh0w View Post
        Why would they do this? What is this ****? :/
        Why? Maybe because projectile weapons usually have a limited range? o_O Well, I know that it isn't exactly a projectile ingame, but still it's a sniper rifle -> realism, I guess.

Comment

Strange, because today while playing online I saw some rockets fly waaaayy high in a WAR map, dunno which one but one with those large Necris tentacles coming down. So I zoomed in at those rockets with my sniper rifle and saw those rockets hit the tentacle really high, I could barely see them due to the fog growing thicker. It was almost as if those rockets didn't have a limit, so that makes it strange to see that the sniper rifle bullets do have a limit to them...

Comment

Rox definitely have a limit, but I doubt that the link gun's primary fire has - you can hit nodes and stuff from all across the map usually.

Comment

Originally posted by LêøÑ¡dås View Post
              Why? Maybe because projectile weapons usually have a limited range? o_O Well, I know that it isn't exactly a projectile ingame, but still it's a sniper rifle -> realism, I guess.
              Well considering that just inside the range, the bullet will hit instantly... doesn't really make sense both ways lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Destini View Post
                Well considering that just inside the range, the bullet will hit instantly... doesn't really make sense both ways lol.
                I know, so either it's an attempt to have some poor realism or it's simply a balancing decision, so that you can't hit people from across the map.

Comment

Yeah, the sniper's limited range is pretty ghey in my books. WTH!?

Comment

Sniper rifle has always had a limited range. I guess that now that the maps are bigger in the later games than in let's just say UT1 it's more noticable.

Comment

Does it have greater range when you play low-grav? :P

Comment

Hitscan weapons always have a range cap. As was stated before, in previous games, most maps were entirely covered by this range, and now they aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by LêøÑ¡dås View Post
                          Well, I know that it isn't exactly a projectile ingame, but still it's a sniper rifle -> realism, I guess.
                          It's a bug, not realism ............

Comment

Originally posted by DeathmooN View Post
                            It's a bug, not realism ............
                            As I said, it's maybe just a poor attempt to create some realism.......... still I think that the limited range is intended ......................... Or tell us why it's a bug.

Comment

I haven't looked at unreal script but it may well be that the API to cast collision rays takes a vector (so with a finite length) to test collisions against and they just put some "big enough" value as the length that happens not to be large enough to cover the entire map.

Comment

Working...
                              X