Nightshadedistortion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nightshadedistortion?

With Distortion = True in utengine.ini you can see the distortion pattern of a nightshade, much as you saw UT2004 characters with the ghost adrenaline combo.

But doing this turns on the distracting distortion when hit by rockets and so on. But I need to see the nightshade, so distortion stays.

Is there any way to tone down personal distortion effects e.g. when hit by rockets that throw your aim, whilst keeping distortion effects for things like the nightshade?

More importantly people who run the game on high settings gain a slight advantage where the nighshade is concerned. They can see the distortion, but people who play on low settings cannot because it is disabled, thus rendering the nightshade COMPLETELY invisible rather than almost invisible like it was intended.

It would be nice if the nightshade distortion was left on when the settings are reduced. Or maybe an alternative effect could be used for low settings.

Comment

+1 for more options.

Comment

This has always been a problem with invisible things in UT, very lame if you have higher graphics you can see invis things better. Same story with the invis adrenaline combo in 2k4. And I think also for the invisibility pickup. The solution is simple, dont make the game render invisiblity different with different UT settings. Epic, do you hear me!?

Comment

i noticed that if a nightshade takes damage and starts to smoke while cloaking, the smoke trail will just follow it

Comment

Yep, I would need a single setting too - Nightshades are completely invisible with my graphics settings. If I turn the settings up, I lose too many fps to keep the game playable. Kinda annoying to be smashed on Floodgate over and over again because I can't see the Nightshade; and it's not always possible to scan the room I just entered with the AVRiL. :/

Comment

So try Distortion = True and see if your card will cope.

And my shade never smokes for long.

And since we're discussing the shade, yep the main beam does build nodes.

Comment

Tbh I prefer an invisible nightshade over a more visible nightshade on lower settings. Else the 'pr0s' start 'using' that 'feature'.

Comment

The smoke it makes while hovering should never go away, invisible nightshade or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Jrubzjeknf View Post
                    Tbh I prefer an invisible nightshade over a more visible nightshade on lower settings. Else the 'pr0s' start 'using' that 'feature'.
                    The whole point is that is should be equally visible on all settings. No one said make it more visible on low settings than on high.

Comment

be on the lookout for players grappled onto nothingness

Comment

Can someone confirm if the same applies for players using the invisibility powerup?

I run the game on low settings, and to the best of my recollection, there was no distortion effect for invisible players (or any kind of shimmer as seen in previous UTs).

I haven't seen many people use invis, though (no pun intended).

Comment

Originally posted by Rhykker View Post
                          Can someone confirm if the same applies for players using the invisibility powerup?

I run the game on low settings, and to the best of my recollection, there was no distortion effect for invisible players (or any kind of shimmer as seen in previous UTs).
                          I guess that's true... Since I don't play much DM I'm not 100% sure, but today I had a quick Heatray match and it was really hard to see that guy who got the invis pickup, I got literally shot out of nowhere. :/

Comment

1) People on low settings have NO BLUR, NO FOG, AND NO SHADOWS (people 'hiding' in shadows are easily visible on low settings). It gives them a huge advantage, not being able to see invisible things is not going to suddenly make people with high settings have an advantage.
                            2) Even with distortion, you can't really see invisible things unless you up close to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Frustian View Post
                              1) People on low settings have NO BLUR, NO FOG, AND NO SHADOWS (people 'hiding' in shadows are easily visible on low settings). It gives them a huge advantage, not being able to see invisible things is not going to suddenly make people with high settings have an advantage.
                              2) Even with distortion, you can't really see invisible things unless you up close to them.
                              1) While people with high settings are free to set it to whatever they want (e.g. when they feel that their current settings effect the gameplay negatively), we (people with low spec machines) can NOT set our settings higher to get rid of that annoying invisibility issue. It's your own fault anyway when you play with high World Detail.

2) That's not entirely true and I guess you aren't aware of the difference... things are really and literally invisible at low settings. I tried different World Detail settings today and the difference is just huge.

Comment

Working...
                              X