• Show
Clear All

How to overclock a pentium 4 3.0ghz ?

How to overclock a Pentium 4 3.0ghz ?

first go www.cpuid.com
    and download cpu-z
    and check if its a presscot
    if so dont bother.
    unless you can afford phase change cooling tbh as presscot is a hothead.
    tbh instead off buying phaschange cooling better off buying a intel core duo 2 ;>

Comment

Overclocking is one of those things were you really need to know what you're doing, in most cases that means if you have to ask you're not supposed to know. And yes as zer0 said P4's especially Prescotts but all of them to some degree run really really hot, without some serious custom cooling you're not clocking a P4 to any degree.

Comment

I wouldn't overclock ur CPU unless you want a reason to buy a new processor.
        It's very risky and the chances are high You'll destroy ur CPU

Comment

Very carefully

Comment

PeterS_01: next to no risk if you know what you're doing and do it carefully, I got a Q6600 stock 2.4 @ 3.2 stable and running cool.

Comment

It mainly depends on how much extra volts you put through it. The lifespan drain starts happening the second you start pumping up the vcore.

Comment

My advice to you is that if you need to ask, then you really shouldn't.
                3GHz is pretty high as it is, and the heat on any processor clocked over that goes up severely.

Is it worth the risk for a couple hundred more megahertz?
                I also don't see why a 3GHz processor would have any trouble with UT3. I could run it relatively smoothly on my old 2GHz AMD. if you're hitting performance trouble, you should instead take a look at your graphics card, sound card, or your ingame settings.

Comment

Sif you really know what you need to be doing....

Its just a matter of upping the fsb or multiplier until you cant boot or run things stable, then lowering it a bit. Maybe a voltage change if you want to go higher and watch those temps.

There is actually very little damage you can do and frying a cpu is not really going to happen unless something really wrong happens, usually a cpu that is overclocked too high wont boot into windows or run stable and at worse you wont post which just means a cmos clear.

Comment

Wooo, i have the same processor and the main problem is the graphics card as this cpu is more than capable of running ut3 but is on an agp mobo(and quite possible so is yours), the fastest graphics card i can find for the agp slot is a 7800 GS OC but it's alot of money for an old card system.
                    it would be more sensible to change the cpu but if you are on the agp system then it would make upgrade path sense to change the lot and go pci-e, which is hopefully where i will be going in the new year.

Comment

I do plan on buying a new cpu, I just wanna overclock for now

Comment

Originally posted by MikeHunt View Post
                        Wooo, i have the same processor and the main problem is the graphics card as this cpu is more than capable of running ut3 but is on an agp mobo(and quite possible so is yours), the fastest graphics card i can find for the agp slot is a 7800 GS OC but it's alot of money for an old card system.
                        it would be more sensible to change the cpu but if you are on the agp system then it would make upgrade path sense to change the lot and go pci-e, which is hopefully where i will be going in the new year.
                        I am on pci-e and I have an ati x2900 pro

Comment

oh ok, i figured with the old cpu it would be on an old board, just get a core 2 then and you're sweet, no point splashing out on cooling systems when you can get a sweet cpu for the same or less money.
                          wish i was an pci-e, sob.

Comment

overclocking isn't that dangerous, it's not dangerous if you overclock a step at a time, test your cpu and watch temperatures. also some motherboards have a safe overclock feature, in which the mobo will reset it's settings is the PC fails POST, it helped me a lot of times
                            also sometimes when overclocking you don't even need to increase your vcore voltage

I got a Celeron D 3,33 Ghz, running at 4,17 Ghz, rock stable, 23% overclock, running at default vcore voltage of 1.225 Volt m and what about heat production? 100% stressed (playing UT3 over a coupleof hours) only 56 degrees celsius

It really depends on which type of processor you have and your memory,
                            If you increase the FSB you automaticly raise the memory speed to, sometimes when you pc gets unstable it is not due to the cpu but due to the memory, unable to cope with the speeds

Ifyou have a relativly new Graphics card, ATI for example, you can safely overclock that one to with ATI overdrive included in the ATI control center, it automaticly searches for a safe overclock of GPU and memory
                            Got my ATI X1950 PRo AGP running from 575 mhz in the core to 621 mhz
                            memory went from 600 to 798 mhz, and still heat production is around 48 degrees
                            (could overclock further if i could adjust the GPU core voltage which is impossible on thsi card unfortunatly)

Comment

pci-e is the one =]

Comment

Working...
                              X