Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with incresing FPS

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Help with incresing FPS

    Hey guys,
    Basically i've been having pretty mediocre FPS, and its surprising to me beause I have a pretty decent machine. I played the demo at full settings, no real problems. But now i'm playing the full game at 3 settings at 1280 X 1024, and am getting an average of 35 FPS. Anyone know any techniques to give me a smoother framerate? Much appreciated, thanks .

    My system specs:
    NVIDIA 8600 GT
    1 GB RAM
    2.1ghz dual core processor

    #2
    -More RAM
    -Overclock your Video Card
    -Replace CPU with faster or at least OC the one you have.

    UT3 needs a high-end system to run at max settings. A 2 Ghz chip with 1G Ram and a single 8600 is not enough horsepower.

    Overclock at your own risk

    Comment


      #3
      Seems like you might be able to do better than that. I've got an AMD 4200+, 2GB RAM, MSI 8600GT overclock edition. It gets 40's mostly, some 30's at 1280x1024 with 4/4 world/texture.

      Additional RAM is not supposed to make a difference in terms of FPS. I'm running XP; you can see from that page I linked to that Vista can cut into your FPS.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by cel4145 View Post
        Seems like you might be able to do better than that. I've got an AMD 4200+, 2GB RAM, MSI 8600GT overclock edition. It gets 40's mostly, some 30's at 1280x1024 with 4/4 world/texture.

        Additional RAM is not supposed to make a difference in terms of FPS. I'm running XP; you can see from that page I linked to that Vista can cut into your FPS.
        Take out 1G of your Ram and see what happens May not directly affect FPS that much but overall performance I would think most new games today need 2G to run smooth. I cant imagine only having 1G again

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Lacunaa View Post
          Take out 1G of your Ram and see what happens May not directly affect FPS that much but overall performance I would think most new games today need 2G to run smooth. I cant imagine only having 1G again
          I'd get a performance hit because I'd lose dual channel memory mode with only a single chip

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Lacunaa View Post
            -More RAM
            -Overclock your Video Card
            -Replace CPU with faster or at least OC the one you have.

            UT3 needs a high-end system to run at max settings. A 2 Ghz chip with 1G Ram and a single 8600 is not enough horsepower.

            Overclock at your own risk
            bleh.fgfdgfdgfdg

            overclocking from 2.4 ghz to 2.8 does nothing athlon 64 single core 3800+ socket 939.

            overclocking video card eventually lead to artifacts and increase fps 1-2 fps? .

            Comment


              #7
              epicgames need's to optimize the maps alittle better so it runs better in general, im sure they can make some maps run better with a patch go through and try to find memory leaks etc or stuff that causes low fps.

              Comment


                #8
                FPS Issues

                I am having issues as well frame rates are terrible & game play is glitchy no matter what I have the video settings at, runs just as bad at min settings as at max if that makes any sense.
                I have installed the Beta patch & it has not helped one bit it seems. Can only get 9-20 fps for the most part.
                I know my vid card & system seems to run fine as I can play Bioshock maxed out with no issues.
                Would think my system could handle it, I know its not any where near the best, but its not a total pos either, least I don't think.
                Anyone else using ATI? Maybe it hates the drivers?

                Any idea's?


                AM2 FX-62 running 3ghz (Dual Core)
                ATI 2900xt 800mhz gpu 2ghz gddr3
                CORSAIR Dominator 1066mhz 4 gigs
                DFI CFX3200 Infinity ATI Crossfire MB
                Windows Vista 32

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by unreal300 View Post
                  bleh.fgfdgfdgfdg

                  overclocking from 2.4 ghz to 2.8 does nothing athlon 64 single core 3800+ socket 939.

                  overclocking video card eventually lead to artifacts and increase fps 1-2 fps? .
                  Im sorry for your loss

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by unreal300 View Post
                    epicgames need's to optimize the maps alittle better so it runs better in general, im sure they can make some maps run better with a patch go through and try to find memory leaks etc or stuff that causes low fps.
                    WarTourist has already said that some systems are "cpu bound." 'Course this is a way of getting out of offering to better optimize their code and maps in terms of CPU usage. Maybe we'll get lucky and there are some hidden code optimizations in the patch coming out, although they haven't been listed in the release notes so far.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by unreal300 View Post
                      bleh.fgfdgfdgfdg

                      overclocking from 2.4 ghz to 2.8 does nothing athlon 64 single core 3800+ socket 939.

                      overclocking video card eventually lead to artifacts and increase fps 1-2 fps? .
                      You could get a dual core 939 cpu VERY inexpensively these days in case you didn't already know this (And you probably already did)
                      Of course your Bios may need flashing to get it to see both cores. Mine did when I upgraded last year.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        CPUs are really cheap now

                        I think an AMD 6200 3.2GHz is like less than $200

                        Comment


                          #13
                          overclocking an AMD Opteron 185 from 2.6 to 3.1 GHz doesn't yield any fps increase either.

                          gg with the "CPU-bound" excuse

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Buy 2 8800 Ultras and run them SLI

                            Problem solved.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by cel4145 View Post
                              Additional RAM is not supposed to make a difference in terms of FPS. I'm running XP; you can see from that page I linked to that Vista can cut into your FPS.
                              Hizuko, are you running Vista? According to the above link, that would cut a small (but fairly decent) chunk out of your performance with 1 gb RAM... and even MORE if you're running stuff in the system-tray or background. Gamespot's test systems, naturally, don't have anything running on them.

                              My first bet would be the RAM, considering that when I tried Vista with 1 gb RAM, it couldn't even open Internet Explorer without severe choking... and that was with just about nothing running: just the OS. I couldn't even fathom trying to run a game on top of that.

                              You can try opening Task Manager while UT3 is running, and see how much free RAM you have. If it's under 100 mb, then I would say it's most definitely the cause.

                              Also, take notice if your harddrive is constantly buzzing while you play. That would be another tell-tale sign that it's the ram.

                              I wouldn't listen to the people who say upgrade your video/CPU, because I have a 8800 GTS (slightly weaker card than yours) and 3800+ Dual-Core, and run smoothly at 60 fps (which is the max UT3 will allow over here) on most maps (settings are all maxed, @ 1280x1024). Of course, it slows down to about 30 in heavy outdoor maps with lots going on.

                              My money is on the RAM. Your other hardware is absolutely fine.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X