Best sound card for under $150?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best sound card for under $150?

I am looking to get a sound card for my pc to replace my onboard realtek sound which is horrible. Just wondering what the best would be for a good price, I'd rather not spend more than 100 but if its really good id spend up to 150. Thanks for your opinion.

X-Fi Xtreme Gamer (or XtremeMusic).

Comment

You should check out terratecs products. Make darn good soundcards =]

Comment

whats the difference between the x-fi xtreme ($80) and the x-fi xtreme fatal1ty pro ($135)??? is the fatal1ty much better than the regular?

Comment

"Fatality" stands for the Edition with some separate Memory on the Sound-Card, it can be an Performance-Improvement by not ore than 5%, but in most Games, there will be no difference, cause they dont use this Memory.

@MysTikal:
          Why no Music-Edition? In the Control-Center, there is a "Game Mode", too, and it worked fine in all my Games.

Comment

Originally posted by Scheibenwischer View Post
            "Fatality" stands for the Edition with some separate Memory on the Sound-Card, it can be an Performance-Improvement by not ore than 5%, but in most Games, there will be no difference, cause they dont use this Memory.

@MysTikal:
            Why no Music-Edition? In the Control-Center, there is a "Game Mode", too, and it worked fine in all my Games.
            Awesome, thanks, I'll skip the fatality version and go for the vanilla xfi which should still sound great.

Comment

Originally posted by MysTikal View Post
              X-Fi Xtreme Gamer (or XtremeMusic).
              I use this. The sound quality is quite excellent, game performance is good, and it's cheap!

Comment

After buying an X-fi and having no XP driver updates for 18 months, I'll try my very best to find a different manufacturer next time.

Comment

Just so you know, Creative refuses to make Linux drivers for X-Fi cards. I read there was an open X-Fi driver project for Linux at some point, but I don't know if that ever materialized. Ofcourse if you run Windows, disregard.

Comment

I saw a Creative X-fi PCI-e card, looked like it had less components on the board and was quite cheap, dunno if it's rubbish or not.

Comment

Ok now that i have decided on a sound card I need a good gaming headset. There are so many choices on newegg I dont know where to begin. I want the best headset for under 100 bucks. Anyone have some good suggestions? The most important thing is good surround sound so I can hear what directions different noises are coming from.

Thanks again for all your help everyone I really appreciate it

Comment

Ultrasone HFI-700 are excellent in combination with X-Fi. The soundstage is enormous with CMSS-3D, which is great for gaming because you get a great directional sense out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by stoneybud View Post
                          Ok now that i have decided on a sound card I need a good gaming headset.
                          No you really don't need a gaming headset they're marked up and usually rubbish, get a proper pair of audiophile headphones and get a seperate mic, some like once on a boom sitting on your desk but I prefer cord clip on ones, so they're near your face.

Comment

That's some sound advice (pun intended).

Comment

Originally posted by Arnout View Post
                              Just so you know, Creative refuses to make Linux drivers for X-Fi cards. I read there was an open X-Fi driver project for Linux at some point, but I don't know if that ever materialized. Ofcourse if you run Windows, disregard.
                              I don't think that's true. It's just not a priority to Creative and they are being made at a very slow pace and it's still unclear when will they be released. But apparenly, there is a beta driver for x64 linux available.

Of course though, it's needless to say that X-Fi is not a good option for linux users.

Comment

Working...
                              X