Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best sound card for under $150?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Best sound card for under $150?

    I am looking to get a sound card for my pc to replace my onboard realtek sound which is horrible. Just wondering what the best would be for a good price, I'd rather not spend more than 100 but if its really good id spend up to 150. Thanks for your opinion.

    #2
    X-Fi Xtreme Gamer (or XtremeMusic).

    Comment


      #3
      You should check out terratecs products. Make darn good soundcards =]

      Comment


        #4
        whats the difference between the x-fi xtreme ($80) and the x-fi xtreme fatal1ty pro ($135)??? is the fatal1ty much better than the regular?

        Comment


          #5
          "Fatality" stands for the Edition with some separate Memory on the Sound-Card, it can be an Performance-Improvement by not ore than 5%, but in most Games, there will be no difference, cause they dont use this Memory.

          @MysTikal:
          Why no Music-Edition? In the Control-Center, there is a "Game Mode", too, and it worked fine in all my Games.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Scheibenwischer View Post
            "Fatality" stands for the Edition with some separate Memory on the Sound-Card, it can be an Performance-Improvement by not ore than 5%, but in most Games, there will be no difference, cause they dont use this Memory.

            @MysTikal:
            Why no Music-Edition? In the Control-Center, there is a "Game Mode", too, and it worked fine in all my Games.
            Awesome, thanks, I'll skip the fatality version and go for the vanilla xfi which should still sound great.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by MysTikal View Post
              X-Fi Xtreme Gamer (or XtremeMusic).
              I use this. The sound quality is quite excellent, game performance is good, and it's cheap!

              Comment


                #8
                After buying an X-fi and having no XP driver updates for 18 months, I'll try my very best to find a different manufacturer next time.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Just so you know, Creative refuses to make Linux drivers for X-Fi cards. I read there was an open X-Fi driver project for Linux at some point, but I don't know if that ever materialized. Ofcourse if you run Windows, disregard.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I saw a Creative X-fi PCI-e card, looked like it had less components on the board and was quite cheap, dunno if it's rubbish or not.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Ok now that i have decided on a sound card I need a good gaming headset. There are so many choices on newegg I dont know where to begin. I want the best headset for under 100 bucks. Anyone have some good suggestions? The most important thing is good surround sound so I can hear what directions different noises are coming from.

                      Thanks again for all your help everyone I really appreciate it

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Ultrasone HFI-700 are excellent in combination with X-Fi. The soundstage is enormous with CMSS-3D, which is great for gaming because you get a great directional sense out of it.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by stoneybud View Post
                          Ok now that i have decided on a sound card I need a good gaming headset.
                          No you really don't need a gaming headset they're marked up and usually rubbish, get a proper pair of audiophile headphones and get a seperate mic, some like once on a boom sitting on your desk but I prefer cord clip on ones, so they're near your face.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            That's some sound advice (pun intended).

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Arnout View Post
                              Just so you know, Creative refuses to make Linux drivers for X-Fi cards. I read there was an open X-Fi driver project for Linux at some point, but I don't know if that ever materialized. Ofcourse if you run Windows, disregard.
                              I don't think that's true. It's just not a priority to Creative and they are being made at a very slow pace and it's still unclear when will they be released. But apparenly, there is a beta driver for x64 linux available.

                              Of course though, it's needless to say that X-Fi is not a good option for linux users.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X