Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

game tech problem

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    game tech problem

    My friend recently about an AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual core processor, with 2gb of ram, and a geforce 8400 gs 256 ddr2 mb. The VC is 64-bit.
    Its a big upgrade from his old setup, but he continues to get bad fps. 20-35. Even on the lowest settings he won't go above 40

    I have a amd athlon 64 939 socket, 2gb of ram, and a geforce 7950gt. I on the other hand get35-50. I rarely dip below 29 when both sliders on 4.

    My question is, why does my friend continue to get **** fps despite his pc being better than mine? I tried getting the newest nvidia drivers and dual core optimizer. But it doesn't seem to make a difference. Thanks

    *Edit* Res: 1024X

    #2
    maybe it's his vidcard?

    i've got the 939 3800+ chip o/c'ed to 2375, 3gig matched (dual) ddr400, and an X1950 Pro 512mb PCI-e, and i rarely get anything but "green" on the stat display - 40's, maybe?

    CD

    Comment


      #3
      the 8400 is weaker than the 7950... in fact for DX9 games... the 7950 is a close competitor to the 8800s... only lacking dx10 compliance (among a few other things).

      blade6800, you didn't mention what model cpu you actually have... it is likely that your CPU isn't that much slower and that the GPU is enough not only to make up for the difference, but to push it further than your friend.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Goobers View Post
        the 8400 is weaker than the 7950... in fact for DX9 games... the 7950 is a close competitor to the 8800s... only lacking dx10 compliance (among a few other things).

        blade6800, you didn't mention what model cpu you actually have... it is likely that your CPU isn't that much slower and that the GPU is enough not only to make up for the difference, but to push it further than your friend.
        x1950xtx > 7950, but i understand where your going. the video card is really horrible, atleast get a 8600, but i recommend an 8800 gt.

        Comment


          #5
          HD3850/3870's are also excellent performers..

          Comment


            #6
            the 8400 is only good for like...playing movies.
            an 8600 would be a better choice.
            alot of video cards nowadays use DDR3 or DDR4

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Goobers View Post
              the 8400 is weaker than the 7950... in fact for DX9 games... the 7950 is a close competitor to the 8800s... only lacking dx10 compliance (among a few other things).

              blade6800, you didn't mention what model cpu you actually have... it is likely that your CPU isn't that much slower and that the GPU is enough not only to make up for the difference, but to push it further than your friend.
              lol sorry. sorry, AMD Athlon 64 3800+ clocked at 2.4ghz. his is clocked at 2.4 as well but dual core. so basically his VC is ****?

              Comment


                #8
                Based on this review of the 8400GS, it performs worse than the 8500GT, which has been shown not to do very well with UT3. As the other reviewer mentioned, the 8600 series is a much better budget choice. I've got a second machine at home which averages in the 40's with the 8600GT and an AMD 4200+, 1280x1024, 4/4 texture and world settings.

                In the meantime, have your friend use Ultron's UT3 Tweaks to implement Ultron's performance settings. They might help to squeeze out a little more FPS.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by cel4145 View Post
                  Based on this review of the 8400GS, it performs worse than the 8500GT, which has been shown not to do very well with UT3. As the other reviewer mentioned, the 8600 series is a much better budget choice. I've got a second machine at home which averages in the 40's with the 8600GT and an AMD 4200+, 1280x1024, 4/4 texture and world settings.

                  In the meantime, have your friend use Ultron's UT3 Tweaks to implement Ultron's performance settings. They might help to squeeze out a little more FPS.
                  I have got to disagree here with everbodies opinion of the 8400GS, it must be the OP's mate's computer because my spec is as follows and it plays fine, at 1024*768 with both texture and world sliders at 3.

                  Pentium 4 3.0ghz hyperthreading enabled
                  1Gb Ram
                  XpertVision 8400GS with 256mb of ram (can use 512 with 256mb system ram but I don't)
                  160gb WD Sata drive

                  The game works fine, crashes on and off but the graphics are fantastic and it runs smoothly.

                  Opinions please ??

                  Comment


                    #10
                    The 8400GS is rubbish, it's low low spec, or as we in the biz like to call it: word processor optimized.

                    I bought a 8500GT just to power 2 additional screens, that's the budget card I picked for that task, a 8400GS is even poorer.

                    The 7950gt is leaps and bounds better than the 8400GS.

                    http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphi...=710&chart=275

                    In that benchmark 7950gt gets 71.8 FPS, the 8400GS gets 15.6, that's about 4.5x better frames on the 7950gt.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by KriLL3.8™ View Post
                      The 8400GS is rubbish, it's low low spec, or as we in the biz like to call it: word processor optimized.

                      I bought a 8500GT just to power 2 additional screens, that's the budget card I picked for that task, a 8400GS is even poorer.

                      The 7950gt is leaps and bounds better than the 8400GS.

                      http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphi...=710&chart=275

                      In that benchmark 7950gt gets 71.8 FPS, the 8400GS gets 15.6, that's about 4.5x better frames on the 7950gt.

                      Yea nice it's all about FPS ?? The game plays fine on my 8400GS as stated above, and I seem to be experiencing less problems than those with high end cards. I have also played the game on a 6200LE and it also worked. So yea OK...

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Yes it is all about the FPS since that's the best measure of raw power, if you don't want more FPS you can increase the graphics settings and add anti-aliasing etc, buying a donkey, strapping it to your broken car using some rope for the same cost as fixing your engine saying it's not all about speed isn't exactly going to help you.

                        You can buy new and used 7x & 6x cards for the same or less as the 8400GS and they will run the game better.

                        The 8400GS is the kind of card an OEM puts into a PC that doesn't have onboard video, the kind of PC that's used for spreadsheets.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by KriLL3.8™ View Post
                          Yes it is all about the FPS since that's the best measure of raw power, if you don't want more FPS you can increase the graphics settings and add anti-aliasing etc, buying a donkey, strapping it to your broken car using some rope for the same cost as fixing your engine saying it's not all about speed isn't exactly going to help you.

                          You can buy new and used 7x & 6x cards for the same or less as the 8400GS and they will run the game better.

                          The 8400GS is the kind of card an OEM puts into a PC that doesn't have onboard video, the kind of PC that's used for spreadsheets.
                          That's my point m8, I dont need help the game is running fine for me, i was on about the OP's m8. It seems my extra Mhz in my processor makes up for the 8400gs.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Actually it can't since it's bottle necking the whole thing, and a 3.0Ghz P4 can't be compared to a dual core chip Mhz to Mhz.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X