Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Massive

Regarding CTF/DM/TDM play:

UT2k4 had larger maps, a wider range of movements, less damage/second, faster (and piped) weapon switching, and overall a more realistic pacing for servers with higher population caps.

UT3 has small, corridor-shooter style maps, a tighter range of movements coupled with more gravity, slower weapon switching (currently without piped switching), more damage/second and an overall faster pacing.

I fail to understand the rationale for having a max population of more than 10 for any of the above mentioned game types. 5v5 CTF or TDM is perfect for any of the stock maps and maybe too much for some of the smaller ones. 10 man DM is also perfect for most of the stock DM maps minus, perhaps a couple of the smaller ones like Rising Sun.

In general I've found DM gameplay to be much more enjoyable with less people. There is more opportunity to use multiple weapon strategies, you are less apt to get ganked by a passing spammer while your concentration is on fighting a different opponent, controlling power-ups is less random, and you can use more of the features built into the game that allow for strategy such as sound for tracking opponents, and stealth.

Currently it seems that the more popular servers are the ones that allow for 16-24 players. IMO this number of players generally degrades the gameplay experience in several ways:

1) Spam is just about the only strat where weapons are concerned.

2) PING is higher with more people

3) FPS are lower with more people, especially for those with less than high-end rigs

4) Stealth is hardly an option unless you plan on hiding in a corner and not doing any killing

5) Gank multi-kills are an art form, nuff said

6) You are much more likely to spawn into a face full of rockets with 20 other people running around...even on the largest of the DM maps

Now I've certainly had a lot of fun on DM servers where there are >10 players. The chaotic, free-for-all atmosphere can be exciting in its own right but it seems to me that the game was designed with smaller populations in mind for CTF/DM/TDM.

Laters,

HoLo

Tell me how this can be achieved by just spamming;
    Click for screenshot
    There were 12 people on that server. Which is >10.

I haven't really noticed a ping difference with that many people in the server ( 32 ping)

6) You are much more likely to spawn into a face full of rockets with 20 other people running around...even on the largest of the DM maps
    Look at the screenshot, I find it exaggerated.

4) Stealth is hardly an option unless you plan on hiding in a corner and not doing any killing
    Stealth? This is unreal tournament 3 we're talking about.. not Call of duty 4.

Comment

HoLoPo1nT, agreed. The 10+ FFA wasn't a very good option in UT99, neither it's here. Myself I prefer 4-5 players at FFA or just duels.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBypasser View Post
        HoLoPo1nT, agreed. The 10+ FFA wasn't a very good option in UT99, neither it's here. Myself I prefer 4-5 players at FFA or just duels.
        Give me one good reason why not?
        The screenshot i showed showed me obtaining 40 frags 1 death.. If 10+ is so 'spamful' how come i survived through all of that spam every single time but once? it was on DM-Deck by the way, not a too big map.

10+ FFA requires more insight and better reflexes than <10 FFA imo.

Comment

90% of the "players" showing up in UT2004 servers are nothing more than bots.

Comment

Originally posted by kaluro View Post
            The screenshot i showed showed me obtaining 40 frags 1 death.. If 10+ is so 'spamful' how come i survived through all of that spam every single time but once? it was on DM-Deck by the way, not a too big map.

10+ FFA requires more insight and better reflexes than <10 FFA imo.
            Hmm..with 32 PING I'm not surprised you raped...do you do this every game?

I'm not gonna get into the specifics of CSMA/CD and all that networking hoodoo but suffice it to say that more people=more information sent from server to your transceiver through a variable number of devices in "the cloud".

Thats a good score, good for you!

Laters,

HoLo

Comment

Hell, that's what I mean! In those matches it's just a total mess, so you can hide and kill them with well-placed shots from a side, without actual fight. I prefer normal 1v1, which is way harder if both opponents are of the same skill. 4-5 player ffa usually forms up with numerous 1v1 collisions, while 10+ is just spam where those who fire from a side live the longest. Also 4-5 FFA with no weaponstay is very tactical as you have to control the weapon spawn points, which is impossible in 10+.

ps I wonder why most people don't like duels nowdays.. degradation?

Comment

Originally posted by TheBypasser View Post
                Hell, that's what I mean! In those matches it's just a total mess, so you can hide and kill them with well-placed shots from a side, without actual fight. I prefer normal 1v1, which is way harder if both opponents are of the same skill. 4-5 player ffa usually forms up with numerous 1v1 collisions, while 10+ is just spam where those who fire from a side live the longest. Also 4-5 FFA with no weaponstay is very tactical as you have to control the weapon spawn points, which is impossible in 10+.

ps I wonder why most people don't like duels nowdays.. degradation?
                You're telling me that I've been firing from the side 40 frags long? I don't think so.. + There are ammo problems then as well.

I have been timing the power ups and health pick ups when needed, and been fragging people in the meanwhile, be it with rockets, flak or shock combo's.
                Hell i even made a few headshots..

Id have recorded a demo for you but well.. you know the drill, no client side demos.

Comment

I don't understand why people use piped weapon switch anyway, much more efficient using one button per weapon then you always know what weapon you end up with if you press it.

Comment

Well its all what you like to play and in what mood you are. My favourite count is 12 players for all mods except 16 for Warfare. And sometimes on DM 12 is too much when I would like to play a more skillfull game, maybe 8 or something.

Comment

Tell me how this can be achieved by just spamming;
                      Click for screenshot
                      There were 12 people on that server. Which is >10.
                      Your screenshot proved two things to me:

1) You play on servers way below your skill level
                      2) You like to brag about it, too.

The OP's points are valid on servers with a reasonably equal skill level across the board.

Comment

Originally posted by Lert View Post
                        Your screenshot proved two things to me:

1) You play on servers way below your skill level
                        That might've been the case in that deathmatch, but that's solely because all of the public servers are filled with average people, where else to go? Duel servers to wait 20 minutes before I can join in for a match? Really, the only populated click and start fragging servers around are filled with those people so It's not really my fault.

The OP's points are valid on servers with a reasonably equal skill level across the board.
                        Yes and no.

If you play on public Deathmatch servers with 10+ skilled players you won't see any spam but well co-ordinated fights, and map control.

If you play on a public deathmatch server with average players you wíll see non stop spam. So if you're average and you fall in the 'equal skill' level of average players yes you will see spam and yes you will be killed by spam often.

But if you don't, if you fall into the better category, and play vs 10+ skilled players, it's véry unlikely that you'll see spam.

2) You like to brag about it, too.
                        Edit: And that screenshot wasn't for bragging purposes but for disagreeing with the op, to show him wrong. 40-1 is nothing special, anyone can do it.. it all depends on the situation but that's a different story.

I posted the screenshot to prove him wrong on those 3 points, you can't get 40-1 by spamming.
                        It's unlikely to get 40-1 with a high ping.
                        And I died once and I didn't spawn or walk into a rocket spam even once, well just once.. hence the death! but the likeliness of that happening is really slim.

Comment

I agree with Holopo1int most servers are way too big, but it will sadly stay this way till we get the linux dedicated server and clans start to create their own servers. All those advertising servers aren't about good matches just about slots. Who wants to play CTF on a 32 slot server, or with more than 10 people on most DM maps.

I don't understand why people use piped weapon switch anyway, much more efficient using one button per weapon then you always know what weapon you end up with if you press it.
                          Because many people cannot press 10 keys as comfortable, as only 5 keys around their movement keys.

Comment

I got all weapons bound to buttons on my mouse.

Comment

Cheater

Comment

Working...
                              X