dont tell me all you use keyboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wait a minute i know why none of you complain about the default keys
    im using a laptop and its awkward having the mouse and wasd keys like 2 inches away from each other

Comment

Originally posted by ONT View Post
      Lets press Microsoft for ... cross platform PC-X360.
      No thanks.

The immature twits can stay on xbox live.

Comment

I so hope you're not trying to use the laptop touchpad or one of those IBM **** mouse things. I'm using a laptop and don't see anything wrong with the default keys, though I prefer the arrow keys with weapons mapped to the numpad (I have a full-size keyboard on my laptop).

Comment

I use the Nostomo n52 from belkin. with a mouse. with the right setup it retains the feel of using a keyboard while allowing me to quickly access all my weapons and special keys "chat keys and stuff" while keeping my left hand on the main ASDF keys. I highly recommend to anyone for any game willing to put some trail and error into their setup.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonBlood View Post
            I so hope you're not trying to use the laptop touchpad or one of those IBM **** mouse things. I'm using a laptop and don't see anything wrong with the default keys, though I prefer the arrow keys with weapons mapped to the numpad (I have a full-size keyboard on my laptop).
            What he said... If you're trying to use the touchpad to control your movement you need to stop trying right now, it aint gonna work. Get a cheap USB mouse instead if you want to have a chance. As for posting our configs, I don't think it'd help you much. You need to find out what's comfortable for YOU by experimenting. I have a setup that makes most people cringe but it's comfortable for ME and works for ME. It's a personal thing.

Comment

thanks for the replys i have been using the touchpad so far and i will switch over to a mouse

Comment

i have a laptop too, but I use a wireless mouse and my xbox 360 controller (some keyboard too)

Comment

I haven't played UT3 yet (waiting to build a PC capable of handling it!), but the key mapping I've used in UT99 and UT2004 have done me VERY well.

The keypad.

It's not wasd, I know, but 2=forward, 4=left, 5=backward, 6=right, the surrounding keys for weapons, enter for jump, 0 for crouch, and the directionl buttons/pgup-pgdn-del group for taunts and whatever else. Also, the Logitech trackman trackball mouse is incredibly effective, but then again I haven't played with a regular mouse in a long time!

Comment

Originally posted by PsyKhiqZero View Post
                    I use the Nostomo n52 from belkin. with a mouse. with the right setup it retains the feel of using a keyboard while allowing me to quickly access all my weapons and special keys "chat keys and stuff" while keeping my left hand on the main ASDF keys. I highly recommend to anyone for any game willing to put some trail and error into their setup.
                    wow, and I thought I was the only one who bought that piece of ****. The keys are hard, and the red thumb button is like a pile of bricks to push. But it would be ok if the keys were not so hard. The only thing useful is like for anti-idle, or something lazy. Sorry to flame this thing guy, hope you had better luck than I in breaking it in. Must have taken forever

Comment

Originally posted by xpsdabest View Post
                      if you do can you upload your keyboard settings
                      im having trouble with the default ones
                      also does anyone use a controller of any sort?
                      Controller ??? I hope you mean a Nostromo or something, otherwise ... HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Go console please in that case, and never come back again !

Comment

After using a mouse for a while, you won't want to play shooters with a gamepad anymore (all gamepad players will moan and complain about this and disagree, but I've yet to find one disagreemement with anyone who's made the switch, inluding my pig-headed Halo-loving son who played UT3 for about 2 hours with a Keyboard/Mouse before finally admitting it)

I HIGHLY recommend the Nostromo N52 mentioned above as a replacement for the keyboard movement keys. It's basically just a mini-keyboard for your left hand to allow easier access and a more ergonomic feel than using the bulky keyboard.

There are other options as well. Z-Board makes a device similar to the N52 that's cheaper by about $10.00 that serves the same purpose but has a little different "feel" than the N52. It's buttons are less like a standard keyboard. You can also spend more money and get the full Z-Board with is a full size keyboard with the Z-Board left hand side for gaming.

Either of these devices allow you to have a little more comfortable go at it than a full size keyboard without any drawbacks against precise mouse players...

Start the arguments now if you wish, but even the average mouse/keyboard players will pretty much wipe up against any gamepad holdovers online.

To UejYi above, there are a couple of tricks to getting used the Nostromo. The keys at first are stiffer than a standard keyboard, and the thumb button (agreed) is worthless as jump because of it's stiffness (i usually use it in games as toss weapon or scoreboard, something I don't need quick). Virtually every one I know that uses a Nostromo uses the D-Pad left as jump. Once you get used to that, it's a thousand times more comfortable and flexible than a keyboard.

The other N52 trick I can't recommend (but I did with success) was to GENTLY pry all the keys off of it and coat the interior of the keys themselves with vaseline. The way the buttons attach, the vaseline won't interfere or touch any of the electronic or sensor components to the device, it simply lubricates the keys where the plastic is rubbing against plastic. However, the N52 DOES loosen up on it's own and you get used to it even with out greasing it up.

The Z-device has very smooth buttons, but doesn't have a logical key in a comfortable position for jump for me and the additional keys for weapons switching and the likes are just a little bit further away from the movement keys and not quite as convenient, but still more so than a full keyboard.

Both of the devices can often be found on floor displays at places like CompUsa and larger Best Buys and the likes. Lay your hands on them before you buy one.

Comment

Originally posted by nthexwn View Post
                          Fire = Mouse Button One
                          Alternate Fire = Mouse Button Two
                          Forward = W
                          Backward = S
                          Left = A
                          Right = D
                          Jump = Space
                          Crouch = Left Control
                          Walk (Not Yet Implemented) = Left Shift
                          Impact Hammer = 1
                          Enforcer(s) = 2
                          Bio Rifle = 3
                          Shock Rifle = 4
                          Link Gun = Mousewheel Down
                          Minigun = Mousewheel Up
                          Flak Cannon = Q
                          Rocket Launcher = R
                          Sniper Rifle = F
                          Avril/Redeemer = G
                          Translocator = Left Alt
                          Select Best Weapon = E
                          Previous Weapon = Z
                          Next Weapon = C
                          Feign Death = X
                          Use = Mouse Button 5
                          Voice Menu = V
                          Push-to-Talk = T
                          Ventrilo/TS Push-to-Talk = Mouse Button 4
                          Chat = U
                          Team Chat = I
                          Console = `

Spent about a decade before I finally settled on this
                          Dude those are some serious settings
                          Nice.... and you're right, it'd take anyone a decade to come up with something like that and get used to it .

Comment

Originally posted by RedruM-X View Post
                            Go console please in that case, and never come back again !
                            Ya, cuz God knows we certainly don't want ANY MORE players joining the UT3 PC community

Comment

I map weapons around the WSAD buttons.
                              Flak= Shift
                              Rocket Launcher= R
                              Shock= ctrl
                              Link=3
                              Sniper=Caps Lock
                              avril/deemer/hammer and enforcers are located a little further away.

Comment

The only change I made to the default keyboard config was to map 'next weapon' and 'previous weapon' to the back and forward buttons on my mouse (it's a 5 button Logitech one) I don't like taking my fingers off the WASD keys to switch weapons.

Comment

Working...
                                X