Windows Noob Machine Tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    To wrap up this thread for the archives... "liveUpdateEngine" was a part of the Symantic tools... did a search for "live update" and found the settings.. unchecked "automatic etc.." and now my HD is less noisy!

HTH,
    Donovan

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by LordDemitri View Post
    So superfetch kills hard disks? Is this feature only on Vista?
    Errr... thrash, not trash.

np: Cobblestone Jazz - Lime In Da Coconut (Live At Mondo)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well, I had the "Reliability and performance" tool open so that I can monitor the CPU, Harddrive etc.. while the machine was idoling. The HD light started freaking out again and these were at the top (no pun intended) of the list.

LiveUpdateEngine Com Module
    LucalBackProxy Module
    Symantec Service Framework

(in that order). It appears liveUpdate is still on somewhere??

Da

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by DHJudas View Post
    first off..

make sure you go into the bios and disable AMD cool'n'quiet..... next disable Virtualization in the bios as well...[snip]
    Hmmm, couldn't find that option: Phoenix - AwardBIOS CMOS Setup Utility..

Da

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by KriLL3.8™ View Post
    DHJudas: I like it also but for some it thrashes their HDDs near death.
    So superfetch kills hard disks? Is this feature only on Vista?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    DHJudas: I like it also but for some it thrashes their HDDs near death.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i highly recommend leaving superfetch on.... it's not impacting performance when playing UT3.... vista is very intelligent when it comes to doing background tasks efficiently and at proper more reasonable times.

example is degramentation that is based weekly, it had wait for me to finish doing some pretty cpu/video intensive tasks.. soon as i quit doing it, it started, even though it was scheduled nearly 15 minutes prevously.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    first off..

make sure you go into the bios and disable AMD cool'n'quiet..... next disable Virtualization in the bios as well...

This should improve a few things as it essentially drops backward capabilities for running various other OSes within other OSes (99% of people never have a need for this).....
    and also disables CPU throttling and cranks up the cpu fan speed (benefits all around, cooler machine is a more stable machine, and last longer)

go into START~>RUN

type in MSCONFIG

then go to services and then down near the bottom is a "HIDE MICROSOFT SERVICES".. the list should then shrink .... out of the list, pay close attention to what is in thier, and uncheck anything you think is completely unnessary... you may have to trial and error...

Go over to the STARTUP tab and check out what's there, quite often all you need in thier is windows defender and that's about it... but depending on any security apps your using.... you may have to leave those enabled.... once again trial and error...

Lastly, quite often running 3gb of ram will disable dual channel mode... so make sure you've got 2x1gb + 2x512mb =3gb instead of 3x1gb as having an oddball amount will disable dual channel modes. (sevearly impacting performance)

aside from that, your basically completely limited to your videocard.... And potentially limited by running windows vista 32bit..... You should be able to get a 64bit version of vista for 19bucks.... microsoft should provide you with a cdkey as well at no additional cost.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It's a HD light, turn off superfetch, Indexing in Vista to start if you'd like to spare your drives.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Windows Noob Machine Tuning

Windows Noob Machine Tuning

Hello again!,

I'm finding you guys are a wealth of knowledge for my noobness as far as Windows / PC's are concerned. I have been trying to optimize performance for gaming on my new machine:

HP: AMD Athalon, 64X2 6000+ 3 Ghz
    3MB Ram
    Crappy vid card (for now)
    VISTA 32bit

Minus vid card tuning, is there basics I should know about tuning the machine? The most concerning question I have is that sometimes the computer will be sitting there idaling, then all the suddon the processor light (It's either the processor or HD light) will get pegged for a while. I have gone through all the "auto updates" etc.. that I can find and have turned them off.

I have shortcutt'ed the "task scheduler", "Reliability and performance" utilities to the desktop which seems to give some info. In the task scheduler, I see a couple lines that I'm not sure of:

Consolidator and
    ehDRMnit and
    QueueReporting

seem to all be re-occuring tasks. Are things like this important?

Any advice I can get to get my computer optimized for gaming would be much appreciated. (I can do this in Macs, but I've been working with Macs for 10 years... this is my first (new) PC since 1988!)

TIA,
    Donovan
Working...
X