Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else is not happy with the game's netcode?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else is not happy with the game's netcode?

I just played about 3-4 games online and i've noticed that altough i get 24 ping which was ideal for me in UT2K4, i just coulden't hit anything with sniper and shock which was the main problem but flak is insanely hard to hit too, and it seems like you can never get a full link/minigun damage no matter how good you track your opponent.

It really hurts my experience because so far iv'e been playing duels when im hosting a server and never had any trouble hitting with every weapon and yes there is always a difference between 0 ping to 20-24 but god **** it feels like im playing on a 100 ping server, not 24.

I'm simply disappointed, seems like the only "trustable" weapons online right now are rocket, stinger and shock ( only because of the combo ), sniper became literally useless. more then half of the shots i hit online with sniper ( considering that red crosshair indicates a hit ) are not registering. :\

Ping display is quite wrong at the moment. Type "stat net" in console to see your real ping. It might have been something in 80-100 range. UT3 plays really, really well with good ping.

Comment

This isnt the netcode, its smaller hit box's... and the addition of view accleration that latents aim.

try taking a look in "http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=586697" for additional information on how to disable this.

Trust me, its not the code, im able to headshot and instagib with no problems on even high ping servers.

Give it a try and let me know.

Comment

It's actually fixed after the second beta patch, and since im playing on a server that placed in my own freaking country with people that are from my country i dont think that i should get 80-100 ping.

F6 showed 24 too just to be certain about it. and if it plays so well why the heck half of my shots are "red" for no good? i believe that "red" indicates client-side hit and if the hit dosent register so often in the server with 24 ping then something is really wrong about the netcode in this game.

In UT2K4 i could really see almost no difference between 16-24 ping to hosting on my own server with ping 0, atleast not as big as it is in UT3.

Havokchaos -

I have no problem with aiming nor hitting with any weapon, if i had, the crosshair wouldent turn red so much time both online and offline. the difference is that when playing offline it hits and online it dosent for more then half of the times.

viewacceleration? Iv'e got this removed since the beta demo already, believe me that there is much more in it then just turning ViewAcceleration to false, Iv'e opened a thread about it not so long a go that describes how to completely remove it and i advice you to check it up.

And just to clear something up, i am able to land alot of headshots and hits but the thing is its not good enough, what really annoys me is the fact that you cant trust sniper and insta anymore while playing online, you can never know whether its gonna hit or not, and while it would maybe acceptable when playing with 40-50 ping it's defenitly ain't when i'm playing on a server which is located about 40km from my house.

Comment

I'm really doubting the red cross hair means hit. When i play instigib i get it all the time when i don't even shoot at anyone. I'm just hovering over them waiting til i think i can get the shot.

Comment

The red crosshair is seriously broken. I get it every time I almost hit someone in instagib / shock rifle / sniper, but it almost never indicates a hit.

Comment

No dedicated Linux server yet. Thats a major issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn14316 View Post
                I'm really doubting the red cross hair means hit. When i play instigib i get it all the time when i don't even shoot at anyone. I'm just hovering over them waiting til i think i can get the shot.
                It's supposed to be red when you hit within that last 0.3 seconds, according to the source code. If it doesn't work like that then it must be a bug.

Comment

I often 'feel' lag even so the ping and packetloss indicator are fine. I hope this will improve with further patches or newer server releases.

Comment

Something surely is wrong. Try refreshing the serverbrowser and watch the pings vary from 32 to 512 on a single server I never know what the real value is before I connect but have to guess that if it can do 32 then it must be ok...

Comment

As far as I can tell, the Red crosshair means your on target with someone. Meaning your aiming right at them, but won't nessesarily guarantee a hit.

Comment

It certainly seems to work that way. A tip that may help: use the shock rifle and pay attention to the beam itself instead of the color of the crosshair. As was with UT2004 you have to lead your shot by a little depending on your lag. I know it's silly to have to lead a hitscan weapon, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

The only hits I have trouble with registering are rockets. Sometimes I get blasted in the face and knocked back, but I don't get hurt.

Comment

I can guarantee that people from other games are trying out UT3 and quitting because of the netcode. In fact, when I used to get people to try out UT2004 they'd often quit for the same reason.

For whatever reason this community and EPIC refuse to add ping compensation to the game and people are forced to lead targets based on their ping. For people coming from games that actually let you aim at your opponent this can be a game-breaking issue.

It's obvious at this point that the game has failed to attract players from the larger gaming community, and I can't help but think that the lack of ping compensation is playing a large role in that failure.

As for the crosshair:
                          It's clientside. If you play offline versus bots then it will be 100% accurate when informing you of hits. If you play online then it's still detecting your hits immediately after you fire. The problem is that the server doesn't compensate for your ping, so it actually delays your shots based on your ping and won't check back to the point where you actually fired to confirm if it was a hit or not then. This means that you have to predict where people are going to be positioned by the time your packets reach the server. Unless they're running in straight lines this mostly boils down to luck instead of aim.

Comment

yeah the red xhair is a useless indicator. It was well-intended but is full of false positives because it doesn't compensate for the ping. I ignore it. Would have been a cool visual indicator if it worked tho.

Comment

I ping in the 50's to my DFW server. In quake 4 and other servers I've rented, I always pinged in the 20's with DFW servers. O_o

Comment

Working...
                              X