NVIDIA cards and Windows Device Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NVIDIA cards and Windows Device Manager

this may be common knowledge, I dunno, but I thought I'd note to the list that the windows device manager doesn't seem to actually find all the latest drivers.

I have had to wait to afford a nicer card and have had to put up with a GeForce 6150SE. The rez sucks so I have went to the device manager on occasion and told it to update to the latest driver... well, this last time I decided to go straight to NVIDIA and dl the forceware software.

The res in my game is absolutely better now.. FPS has gone up... though still low. But I'm actually able to play the game at this point! :-)

..didn't know if everyone knew about this so cheers.

Da

Originally posted by =Uff-da= View Post
    this may be common knowledge, I dunno, but I thought I'd note to the list that the windows device manager doesn't seem to actually find all the latest drivers.

I have had to wait to afford a nicer card and have had to put up with a GeForce 6150SE. The rez sucks so I have went to the device manager on occasion and told it to update to the latest driver... well, this last time I decided to go straight to NVIDIA and dl the forceware software.

The res in my game is absolutely better now.. FPS has gone up... though still low. But I'm actually able to play the game at this point! :-)

..didn't know if everyone knew about this so cheers.

Da
    yeah you def dont want to trust Windows to manage something like your video card drivers.

hell, you really shouldnt trust Windows to manage anything as a matter of fact.

Comment

Assuming you're talking about XP, I've never gotten the "Update driver" button to find me a driver for any device. I recommend you always get drivers directly from the manufacturer's website. And in this case Nvidia has a beta drive you should try. Forceware 169.09

Comment

Originally posted by bclagge View Post
        And in this case Nvidia has a beta drive you should try. Forceware 169.09
        i really doubt the 169.09 driver was made for a 6150se.

you want to make sure you get the driver that best fits what your card can handle da.

Comment

The same nvidia driver works for every nvidia Geforce card. People with 8 series cards are using the same drivers as people with 6 series. So if you upgrade to a new card, you do not have to change the drivers.

I just checked, the 6150 is a geforce series. Therefore the 169.09 driver is what you want.

Comment

NEVER use windows update or allow windows to find the latest available driver.... they are 99% of the time made only for failsafe capable modes..

AKA, zero support for advanced settings.. gives you simplistic and basic direct3D capabilities and usually little to no opengl support... on top of that all, the performance is usually ungodly horrible...

Only devices you let windows search for driver is the following:

Monitors/Keyboard/Mice/Network Adapters/Digital Cameras/USB Devices overall.....

And sometimes
            Scanners/Printers

Comment

Originally posted by bclagge View Post
              Assuming you're talking about XP, I've never gotten the "Update driver" button to find me a driver for any device. I recommend you always get drivers directly from the manufacturer's website. And in this case Nvidia has a beta drive you should try. Forceware 169.09
              Hey thanks bclagge,

that helped even more... I'm getting 20fps or so now when in fighting action... where it used to be closer to 10!

Donovan

EDIT: Had to go back to the stable version... me system was crashing. :-(

Comment

Working...
              X