1080i/p support for the PS3 Please!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1080i/p support for the PS3 Please!!!

The PS3 can't upscale PS3 games. The game may have a native resolution of 720p but hopefully the game (not the PS3) will upscale to 1080i for those of us with 480p/1080i HDTVs. That's what R&C and Uncharted are able to do thanks to developers listening to the customers. These games look gorgeous on my 64" HDTV! This is still a huge problem for many people as the PS3 doesn't scale up to 1080i, instead it downscales to 480p on our sets that don't support 720p. I'm not looking to hear people complain about one resolution looking better compared to another, but instead recognize we want the option to play in HD on our HDTVs. Flamers simply have to choose the native resolution on their system if this doesn't affect them. Please allow the game to support 1080i/p! If not there will be many of us waiting for the 3Fixme version to come out as it upscales games beutifully.
    ToonRN

Sony needs to fix this but until then it is up to developers to give gamer the choice to play all games in HD!

the problem is that 1080 takes up more ressources than 720. you want to have the best visuals at the best performance with UT3, and seeing the visuals, I don't think the PS3 can make those at 1080 (at a stable framerate).

Comment

It might not be ideal in the eyes of the developers, but I guarantee that 720p upscaled to 1080i looks 100% better compared to it being downscaled to 480p by the PS3. Actually other games still look pretty darn good in 1080i/p that have a native resolution of 720p. That's why the other system has great looking games even if some of them are being upscaled for my HDTV. The 720p might run smoother in some cases but it isn't always that noticeable. We just want the choice of playing in HD.

Comment

Well 720p _is_ HD.

I do think that in time we'll see a patch that enables 1080i and possibly 1080p but not initially. Most PS3 games don't play at 1080 with the exception of many sports games. Also, many games that upscale to 1080i and 1080p are still rendered at lower resolution, so you don't get quite as good a picture as if they were natively rendered at 1080p. My guess is that once UT3 is natively rendered at 1080 it's going to push the PS3 too much. It's a good console but it only has so much RAM.

Comment

I doubt the PS3 can run UT3 at 1080p smoothly, 1080i I dunno, interlaced stuff isn't that common.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultron View Post
            Well 720p _is_ HD.

I do think that in time we'll see a patch that enables 1080i and possibly 1080p but not initially. Most PS3 games don't play at 1080 with the exception of many sports games.

We all know that 720p is HD, but for those of us with 480p/1080i sets that isn't an option. Most games don't is correct, but some such as COD4, R&C and Uncharted are just a few that do beutifully. The developers can create games that are native 720p but include the scaler provided by Sony so it plays in 1080i instead of 480p when needed. Every one of the other systems games does this perfectly without framerate issues. This includes Epic's own game...Gears of War! FYI most sport games aren't being produced for the PS3 in 1080i/p unfortunately. If you look at any review of the latest Madden you will see the other system can display in 1080 with a much smoother framerate than the PS3 version. It is up to the developers to make the games better as Sony has yet to take responsibility for this problem since recognizing it almost 1 year ago!

Comment

Originally posted by Ultron View Post
              Well 720p _is_ HD.
              Most PS3 games don't play at 1080 with the exception of many sports games. Also, many games that upscale to 1080i and 1080p are still rendered at lower resolution, so you don't get quite as good a picture as if they were natively rendered at 1080p.
              There are around 30 ps3 games that run in 1080p aren't there? And even if it's not native 1080i its still a whole lot better than 480p. I don't think it would use that much power to run it with upscaling, only if we wanted it natively in 1080.

Comment

Originally posted by Skill View Post
                There are around 30 ps3 games that run in 1080p aren't there? And even if it's not native 1080i its still a whole lot better than 480p. I don't think it would use that much power to run it with upscaling, only if we wanted it natively in 1080.
                Exactly! Thanks for getting it I'm not sure if it's at 30 or not, but this is a long ongoing topic at the Playstation forums. Here is the link if anyone is interested:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...ead.id=1543693

Comment

I realize it's too late to do anything about this issue since the game has gone gold, but why isn't anything being stated on if it supports 1080i/p? What the heck EPIC?? Are you ignorant to this problem or did you include the scaler? I guess I'm stuck waiting to find out if I need to wait for the 360 version or not until the 10th!

Comment

Working...
                  X