• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will This Work

hi all, im looking to upgrade my pc so heres what i came up with

Asus Striker Extreme Motherboard
    2.4ghz quad core
    2Gb Ballistix Ram

i already have a geforce 8600gt graphics card will all this make my ut3 run alot better???

Originally posted by TeL2K7 View Post
    hi all, im looking to upgrade my pc so heres what i came up with

Asus Striker Extreme Motherboard
    2.4ghz quad core
    2Gb Ballistix Ram

i already have a geforce 8600gt graphics card will all this make my ut3 run alot better???
    Probably better than mine, although I don't know how an 8600 compares against a 7900. If you had an 8800GT then you should be happy as Larry (I don't know who this Larry is but many people seem to know him).

Comment

Without knowing anything about your current system, I can atest to how well the Striker Extreme mobo is built and performs, and the ballistix ram is also great stuff. Tho if you're going with all that, i'd go with a stronger video card to really give you the ability to crank those graphic's settings.

Comment

What are your current specs?
        to make the game run better you should focus on the graphics card as mentioned.
        best price/performance comes from the 8800GT and the 3870 from £150+

Comment

the graphics card i got is sli so after i save up again im going to get another 1 wud that help

thanks for replies

Comment

The 8600gt is not a very strong card. Getting two of them would still be nowhere near as good as a 8800gt. Yeah I guess they would 'run' it, but you'd be a lot happier with 1 better card.

Considering how cheap the 8800gt is, you could ebay the 8600gt, combine that money with what you were gonna pay for another one and come darn close to the price of an 8800gt.

Comment

I would buy a cheaper mobo and processor and spend the money on better RAM and Video Card.

The Striker Extreme doesn't like **** RAM (Corsair). Crucial is good stuff though not that great performance wise, you should be fine with it tho.

I would get a 8800GT over a second 8600GT. Maybe try to Ebay the 8600GT you have.

Comment

I tends to make sense to upgrade the system in two sets like you're doing - mobo/cpu/RAM in one go and the graphics card later. That way you're going to be limited by one of the two sets but it tends to be much cheaper if your 3d card will suffice for now as you can then buy something really kick *** in a year to a year and a half. Games tend to be limited by the 3D card more so than the CPU so the system works pretty well if you don't have that much cash.

The parts you mention are good but you don't say what you're currently running (other than the 8600GT). I agree with the above though - you're better off with a 8800 rather than a SLi rig.

Comment

Originally posted by TDA NESS View Post
                  The Striker Extreme doesn't like **** RAM (Corsair). Crucial is good stuff though not that great performance wise, you should be fine with it tho.
                  +1. I bought an Asus SLI board recently and bought some RAM to go with it and it wouldn't even boot, I had to take the RAM back and swop it for some that was on ASUS's 'qualified vendor list' (which you can find if you download the mobo manual from their site) there is actually a sticker on the front that says they will only guarantee it to work with RAM that is on the QVL.

Comment

curently my pc is **** have 3.00ghz 1.50 ram 8600gt and a rubbish mobo that just bout takes duel core lol,

so i shud get a 8800gt even tho i dnt have my ut settings for best graphics all i want is nice fps and smooth gameplay

Comment

You can buy a new motherboard, cpu and ram without buying the most ridiculous motherboard.

You can get a evga 680i motherboard for bout $170

2gb of ddr2 800 ram for $60 to $70

Core 2 duo 6750 for $190

8800gt for $270

Total: less than $700

Even less if you sell your old parts.

That'll play the game great.

Comment

CPU has a *big* effect on framerate in this game, as you can see from these benchmarks, even with a high end graphics card and 2 GB's of RAM:

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/?menu=...&show=original

Comment

im not worried bout the money all i want is ut3 to work well, can someone tell me if 2gb of ballistix ram would work with asus striker extreme please

Comment

You're not worried about money but you're futzing around with an 8600gt?

Comment

Originally posted by TeL2K7 View Post
                              im not worried bout the money all i want is ut3 to work well, can someone tell me if 2gb of ballistix ram would work with asus striker extreme please
                              It should work without any issues. I'm using the Crucial Ballistix Tracer's which is the same thing you are talking about except they have light's mounted to them, but otherwise are exaclty the same and I have not had a problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X