My desktop PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    It wont run on your computer. Just by posting a thread like this your already on "The list". Anyone who doesn't read the minium specs and asks the good people of the forums is instantly posted on "the list". UT3 knows whos on the list, and will never let you play. next time try not being lazy

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i have poor performance on most maps on a 2500+, you will not manage to play any warfare, and alot of deathmatch maps.
    other specs are x1600 pro agp
    1.5gb ram
    80gb hdd

if you cant upgrade the processor, dont bother, you cant get a system that will run the game on ANY graphical setting

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by TPSFan View Post
    You had to buy a new video card because the 9600 doesn't support Shader Model 3.0 which is mandatory for UE3 and most modern games.
    Which, of course, doesn't explain why the 9600 is actually listed as the minimum system requirement on the box... so no, SM30 *isn't* actually required, it just doesn't look as good without it though.

np: Axel Bartsch - Galaxy (Speicher CD3)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Jingle Bells View Post
    My PC was a step up in every department from yours. I have an AMD XP 3000+, 1.25gb RAM, 120gig HDD, Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600 AGP 256mb. My computer wouldn't run UT3 at all. I had to buy a newer AGP video card just to get into a game and it still freezes on my in certain maps.
    You had to buy a new video card because the 9600 doesn't support Shader Model 3.0 which is mandatory for UE3 and most modern games.

The Holidays is the best time to upgrade because a lot of e-tailors will have Holiday price reductions and such. The only down side is supply will be more limited than in other times of the year.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by PrideBoy View Post
    I don't know if it's still too eairly to know but will my system play Unreal Tournament 3?

Desktop Specs:

ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard with AMD XP 2500+ 1.8Ghz with 768mb PC3200 ram, with 40 gig hard drive with Sapphire ATI Radeon 9250 AGP 128mb DDR video card with Win XP Home.
    My PC was a step up in every department from yours. I have an AMD XP 3000+, 1.25gb RAM, 120gig HDD, Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600 AGP 256mb. My computer wouldn't run UT3 at all. I had to buy a newer AGP video card just to get into a game and it still freezes on my in certain maps.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by TPSFan View Post
    This is completely WRONG.

I just built a new rig (summer) that was less than $400, and I have an NForce board (Biostar T-7050) with an ATI X1950 Pro and the system runs every single game on the market very well.
    Good for you. Glad you have a very stable hardware configuration. There are certainly many other stable ATI+Nvidia configurations.

However, hardware compatibility over the last ten years has frequently demonstrated that manufacturers spend more time testing and optimizing hardware and drivers with their own equipment and partner vendors. It's just common sense to understand and to imagine that Nvidia is going to make performance/stability a priority for their own equipment, and likewise AMD/ATI. And I've seen reports of Nvidia cards being unstable on AMD chipset boards based on ATI technology, and here's an instance of where Nvidia driver support was lacking for installing an X1950 Pro AGP on a legacy nForce3 board in Vista (found this in a 30 sec search on Google).

But we are getting way off topic. Since the original poster mentioned little knowledge of motherboard selection, I assumed that he might not do the indepth research necessary to guarantee hardware compatibility. Sticking with a single vendor's own equipment is one way to focus research to minimize problems.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by cel4145 View Post
    One other consideration, and then I have to quit posting. I have work to do

I tend to believe that it's a better bet if building an AMD system to match Nvidia cards with Nforce boards and ATI cards with AMD chipset boards now that ATI and AMD are the same company. AMD and Nvidia have obvious incentive to do more to produce drivers and cards which are more stable with boards that use their chipsets. Moreover, they are likely to have better knowledge about their chipsets and have a better range of boards to test on.
    This is completely WRONG.

I just built a new rig (summer) that was less than $400, and I have an NForce board (Biostar T-7050) with an ATI X1950 Pro and the system runs every single game on the market very well.

I am currently adding to the rig this Christmas via present requests from friends and family (more RAM and new PSU).

Also, I wouldn't recommend anyone buy the 8600GT. It is mostly for casual gamers and HTPC use. Not heavy gaming like UT3 requires.

I would recommend the 8800GT, or the ATI 3850 for good, mid-range DX10 cards. Just look at the specs: The 8800GT has 131 streams and the ATI one 320. These are paired down versions of the big boys (8800 GTX and 2900XT). Not crippled versions with only 128-bit interface.

In fact, I am going to sell an old PC I have laying around for hopefully $200 and just upgrade to the ATI 3870 512 MB because I feel it is good bang for the buck...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    One other consideration, and then I have to quit posting. I have work to do

I tend to believe that it's a better bet if building an AMD system to match Nvidia cards with Nforce boards and ATI cards with AMD chipset boards now that ATI and AMD are the same company. AMD and Nvidia have obvious incentive to do more to produce drivers and cards which are more stable with boards that use their chipsets. Moreover, they are likely to have better knowledge about their chipsets and have a better range of boards to test on.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by kaluro View Post
    cel4145
    You should really stop trying to get people to obtain an 8600gt

the 8600 series are the BUDGET series of the 8xxxx series, for people who don't have lots of money but still want a DX10 card. That card is there to support DX10 features, it's not built to play games with, i repeat it is NOT.

a 1950xt is cheaper than the 8600 and performs lets say twice as good, the only downside is that it doesnt support DX10, but UT3 doesn't have any DX10 features as it is now anyway.
    The 8600GT might not be the best, but it's better than nothing if you dont have the cash to burn.

Tho I would recommend the 8800GT over the 8600 if at all possible.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by kaluro View Post
    cel4145

the 8600 series are the BUDGET series of the 8xxxx series, for people who don't have lots of money but still want a DX10 card. That card is there to support DX10 features, it's not built to play games with, i repeat it is NOT.

a 1950xt is cheaper than the 8600 and performs lets say twice as good, the only downside is that it doesnt support DX10, but UT3 doesn't have any DX10 features as it is now anyway.
    Not from Newegg. The only 1950XT available is almost $200, where as a reference board, non-overclocked 8600GT can be found for $100. Meanwhile, the 8600GTS is comparable to the 1950PRO according to AnandTech's performance tests. Since they are pretty close in price, I personally wouldn't wish ATI driver hell on anyone. LOL

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by cel4145 View Post
    Not at all. I used many of these components in the machine I built for my son. I'm still waiting on the vid card, but for right now, it is getting in the 30's at 1024x768 running a 7600GS with that 4200+ and 2GB of RAM until the 8600GT gets here (sometime today). The 8600GT should bump the FPS at least 10 FPS.

Total $373 before shipping. Note that there are also two rebates here for a total of $48.99 (I actually bought the cheaper AData RAM with cas 5 for my son's machine, but there is no rebate with it right now). I did not include the rebates in the totals since there is no guarantee he would get them, but it's a nice lottery ticket :-)

Of course, for another $50, one could upgrade from here to the 8600GTS or comparable ATI card. Or one could wait until later.
    Wow, I guess I should be a little more thrifty in the future

Lately i've been trying to go as High-End as possible.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    cel4145

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Get a 1950xt PCIe for 60 euro and don't forget to buy a MoBo which supports PCIe.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I should add that I ended up going with the Antec Earthwatts 500 for the budget box I built for my son. It's a little more expensive @ $78.99. I've had good luck with Thermaltake in the past, but I went with the Antec because the 12v rails are a little better and it has better energy efficiency which should mean less heat in the system. I've used a 420 watt Thermaltake Purepower with a similar system, and it did fine (but it did put out more heat).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ur system a bit behind to try to spend any money on it...

if you can't drop that 400$ to get a low price system to will run them totally fine.... u might as well not upgrade at all and wait till you can afford it..
    i won't even bother installing ut3 on that current system.
    only gonna make u feel sad.

u do need all 3 cpu/ram/videocard upgrade..
    ungrading just 1 of them itself won't get you to play ut3

Leave a comment:

Working...
X