Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crt Vs Lcd

HI GUYS . i need a serious help here.

i am using LG's flatron f700b over 5 years now .

my settings are most of the time 800 x 600 and refresh rate - 100 hz

now i want to buy a new monitor but untile now, every monitor that

i played on , my eyes started to hurt and got tirerd.

my question is this : is there an LCD monitor that can givr me 100hz refresh rate or i will have to use my LG flatron for another 5 years? =(

thx for the help.

I`m using a 22" Wide screen lcd running on 1680x1050 @ 60MHz refresh rate, lcd`s dont use the refresh rate like crt monitors do, LCD`s doesn`t need refresh rate to improve ur fps

Comment

GUYS i dont care about fps . i care about my eyes that start to hurt if im on an lcd monitor 1 hour \crt monitor on 85 refrash rate..

so what lcd mobitor should i buy to get performers that similer to the crt 100 refrah rate?

Comment

LCDs are MUCH easier on the eyes than CRTs because they use different methods of displaying images. Also, LCDs do not need to refresh the screen like CRTs do meaning that a higher refresh does nothing in terms of soothing your eyes; it's much easier to look at in the first place

Comment

LCD's are easier on the eyes... Make sure its got a fast milisecond rating though.

Comment

Unless you're planning on using some old school stereographic goggles (i.e. 3D glasses), you honestly won't need a 100hz refresh rate, plus new Detonator drivers haven't been introduced in a LONG time, and probably won't jive with UT3.

Comment

I still prefer the big old clunky crt's, unequaled when it comes to color ratio and response times. Sure hope oled or sed display's gonna hit the market soon for us pc gamers :P

Comment

Consumer LCD's have been better than Consumer CRT's for a number of years. The 60Hz LCD "thing" is basically the fluorescent back light. LCD "data" isn't really refreshed like a CRT, there's no beam sweeping over the screen. The data is "just there." The pixels on modern LCD's actually run at something like 10KHz. The 60Hz setting in Windows is simply how often the data in the pixels is refreshed. Note that refreshing an LCD pixel is nothing like a CRT. The data is simply changed, it is not blinked off and back on with the new data. The old data remains until the new data is "there"

When you purchased your CRT a couple of years ago you paid attention to size, refresh rate, resolution and dot pitch. A flatter dot pitch was better and you paid more money for screen size and resolution/refresh rate.

When you purchase an LCD you need to pay attention to different things. Things like contrast ratio and response time become very important. You want a good response time to avoid ghosting. (this has been a non-issue in even your most basic consumer LCD's for a couple of years) Anything under 25ms shows almost 0 ghosting. You also want a very high contrast ratio. This will vary between manufacturers but the basic principal is that higher contrast ratios determine how good your black/white color is. The displays that do blacks and whites the best result in overall better colors.

Even the most **** retentive graphics designers I know all use LCD's at this point. Of course, if you're a "vinyl sounds better than CD" kinda guy or a someone that happens to own a $4K dollar CRT monitor... you may want to avoid LCD's and wait for VR to become affordable.

Comment

My co-worker just pointed out that: "CRTs are better, because they emit x-rays which damage your brain, so you think the colors are better."

If what I said didn't convince you, that should.

Comment

Originally posted by Klutch View Post
                    My co-worker just pointed out that: "CRTs are better, because they emit x-rays which damage your brain, so you think the colors are better."

If what I said didn't convince you, that should.
                    He's correct...

And if you stand up next to a CRT and rub yer gonads against the x-ray emitting glass, your kids will be born with a third eye...... on their knobs...

Comment

Originally posted by Klutch View Post
                      Consumer LCD's have been better than Consumer CRT's for a number of years. The 60Hz LCD "thing" is basically the fluorescent back light. LCD "data" isn't really refreshed like a CRT, there's no beam sweeping over the screen. The data is "just there." The pixels on modern LCD's actually run at something like 10KHz. The 60Hz setting in Windows is simply how often the data in the pixels is refreshed. Note that refreshing an LCD pixel is nothing like a CRT. The data is simply changed, it is not blinked off and back on with the new data. The old data remains until the new data is "there"
                      Thank you for saving me the time.

For everyone else: A lot of people get headaches from a low refresh rates on CRTs, and my brother complains about flourescent lights doing the same thing.

@Phsychic: You will not have to worry about headaches from LCDs. There is no flicker, for the reasons Klutch gives above.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic View Post
                        HI GUYS . i need a serious help here.

i am using LG's flatron f700b over 5 years now .

my settings are most of the time 800 x 600 and refresh rate - 100 hz

now i want to buy a new monitor but untile now, every monitor that

i played on , my eyes started to hurt and got tirerd.

my question is this : is there an LCD monitor that can givr me 100hz refresh rate or i will have to use my LG flatron for another 5 years? =(

thx for the help.
                        Try to get an HP p1230 @ ebay. This is a monster-crt. I have one, its cool, its heavy, it sucks energie like ***, but: it kicks ***.

By the way: if you want to buy this one, try to get a DVI to VGA cable, if your grafics card only has DVI. With a DVI adapter and a normal VGA cable the image will be slightly blurry at 20048x1536@85Hz. With a good DVI to VGA cable the image isnt perfect like in 1600x1200@100HZ, but its enough

Comment

Sorry Klutch but you don't have a clue. Here's why CRTs are better than LCDs in many ways.

1. You can view any resolution you want with CRTs without visual degradation. LCDs you can view in their native resolution and they look great - any other resolution and they look a bit fuzzy.

2. LCDs do not have the color range of CRTs. Sad but true. And most of the photo editors I've heard of are still using CRTs

3. Viewing angle - CRT's have no problem. LCDs obviously do.

4. Delay. This is the big one. CRTs have no delay. LCDs do. And LCD's delay are not limited to the 2ms or 5ms purported speeds. Here's a great website to show you the REAL delay difference between many LCD brands and a reference CRT. It is probably a lot higher than you think. (The website can also show you the color issues in many LCDs).

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.p...0&p2=2056&ph=8

But LCDs are a lot smaller and some people need the desk space. But for playing a game like UT3 I still think CRTs are better.

Comment

Well, I went to a Samsung 22 inch widescreen LCD and will NEVER go back to CRT. running UT3 at 1680 x 1050 and it looks astounding...absolutely no ghosting (with minum light levels in my room). It has a 3000:1 contrast ratio and 2ms response. The colors are extremely vibrant and I notice no degradation in quality at any angle I view it in (at least all the angles I can bend to from my computer desk chair...).

The only drawback was that when I first switched from the CRT, I did notice a slight decrease in sharpness in Windows and using desktop applications, but it's not noticable really in game.

I had EXACTLY the same concerns you did when I got it and listened to all these (valid) arguments against them, but absolutely NO REGRETS. LCDs have come a long long way in the last 5 years and good ones are suited fine for gaming. I am using the native HDMI connector straight into my vid card, don't know if using a VGA adapter would yield the same results.

Just as a reality check, my second PC has a 1 year old Samsung 19inch CRT and sits right across from me. My son games 2k4 on that one and UT3...and I can tell you I can look back and forth between the two at the same time and the LCD STILL looks as good or better in game side by side with that 19inch CRT.

Comment

However, there are LCD monitors with a very wide viewable angle. Also, if you use the native resolution, LCDs easily beat any CRT in terms of sharpness. There are also some good LCDs with next-to-zero delay.
                              And about the colors: Who cares when playing a game like UT3?

I own a 19" LCD monitor with quite low delay (8ms - good enough for games like UT), very high viewing angle (hor.: 150°, vert.:135°) and a native resolution of 1280x1024. This thing didn't cost much (I actually bought it in a local super market) but is better than any CRT I've seen so far when it comes to gameplay "experience". (sorry for the buzz word)

Comment

Working...
                              X