Prelaunch characters > Actual characters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Any links about this "graphics upadate" in a patch.
    I imagine the next few patches will be hammering out the types of bugs mentioned in their recent lists. Then there are the bigger ones that won't let people even launch the game - although when it comes to the PC, those kinds of fixes can prove elusive.

Beyond that is the patch of a UI fix. The consolization of the PC's UI will be addressed to match it to previous iterations of UT giving players more options.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I don't know about you, but I've never heard of Epic updating a graphics engine in a patch.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hello Forum,

Originally posted by Therealjoe View Post
    They probably will release a high res texture pack or something.
    Yes, as a EPIC Bonus Pack. I have also the hope that EPIC will improve that. I feel also cheated in the graphic and menu topic.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    There is dynamic lighting and the characters self shadow which is nice, but there are so few areas in levels where they can be appreciated. I will agree that GOW and Epics console direction for the UT3 engine has cut back on the PC high end. The PC is in check with the PS3 for the moment. Build on the PC use on the PS3.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    No HDR at all in them shots, they look lifeless, i'm really dissapointed they didn't include HDR and most of the maps are very dark because of it. Bloom shaders just look **** compared to HDR, GOW design ruined UT3 for us.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    [shot]http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/richcz3/Gaming/ut3_char2.jpg[/shot]
    [shot]http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/richcz3/Gaming/ut3_char1.jpg[/shot]

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by FeedBackTest View Post
    Hahaha, don't be that naïve. Keep dreaming for ur "high-res pack".

Every company do fake advertising. ID and Epic were in the less bad ones but looks like Epic catched up EA Games and other such *** compagny.

And now they use those so called "next-gen" **** features such as excessive HDR and Blur to hide the low-quality textures.

Actualy they are still hard to see, mostly when not playing TDM and even worse at close range. Red are harder to see than blue on some maps like Heat Ray.
    They did it for Ut99.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    fix?

Just a note: I was in the disgruntled group wondering why the character models looked horrible. They almost looked like 2d sprites at certain angles. I did Ultrons's Tweaks and the world looked fanstastic the the characters looked nothing like they did in the creation screen.

However I did find a fix:
    Explore UT3
    open Enigine File
    open config file
    BaseEngine file, right click go to properties, uncheck Read Only box, click Apply, then make the changes below.

[Engine.ISVHacks]
    DisableATITextureFilterOptimizationChecks=True
    UseMinimalNVIDIADriverShaderOptimization=False

For NVIDIA users, setting the shader optimization to false allows the use of the high detailed characters in game. (and I didn't notice a huge performance hit either)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I especially like the first shot --- these graphics ARE as good as the pre-launch screenshots. It's just too bad that no computer can run them.

Modulus, I'd be interested in knowing what your framerates are like on the character customization screen with max detail settings. Even if they are high, I bet money they are nowhere near as high as when you are actually playing the game...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Here are some more samples of the high-detail in-game models that cannot be used while playing, only at character creation. I was going to take pictures of their in-action equivalents for a side-by-side comparison, but I couldn't find any good way to get the right models in the game and pose them to take a screenshot. But I'm sure the somewhat-astute-eyed will easily see the difference in detail between the pictures below and what they actually see in-action.

[shot]http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/4311/sample1xw9.jpg[/shot]
    [shot]http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/2715/sample2gb9.jpg[/shot]
    [shot]http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/9310/sample3bo6.jpg[/shot]

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Rhykker View Post
    Looking at the user-made UT Wallpapers thread, I'm seeing some really great character models...
    Yes, the in-game models look fantastic. I don't disagree. But if you can't tell the difference between the in-game models and the models used at character creation and in the pre-release screenshots (especially the very early ones), you may not exactly be an expert in the graphic arts.

Don't quit your day job.

The in-game (action) models are fantastic; the pre-release and character-creation models are beyond astounding.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Modulus View Post
    You guys are ignoring those of us who are telling you that the models DO in fact look that good in game... Don't assume that because YOU are not seeing them that no one is. It's not true... I play with everything maxed and I see these high poly models in game, while playing online.

It's the feature that throttles back detail to maintain your min. desired framerate that's doing this to you... It's not Epic, it's the way you have the game configured.
    No it's not. I have minframerate set to 10, yet I still get average 40 fps with boths graphics bars at maximum. And it does NOT look that good in game. How do I know this? One, from looking at the mdoels while the game is paused. Two, because character creation displays only one model yet runs at 5 fps while playing in-game displays several models and runs at 40 fps.

Do this yourself--- turn all settings to max and then play a game. Check your fps. Now leave those settings at max and go to character creation. Your FPS will drop bigtime.

The problem is you just can't pick out the lack of detail when you're playing online.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by embryonic View Post
    You guys are picky.
    I think its more about getting the most of what one can get with their rig setup. It's the nature of PC gaming tweak modify tweak modify tweak until we get the visual and FPS performance just right

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You guys are picky.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by richcz3 View Post
    There is a feature in the UTEngine.ini for this

Default settings are
    [Engine.GameEngine]
    bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE
    MinSmoothedFrameRate=22
    MaxSmoothedFrameRate=62

Lowering the two can help maintain the detailed visuals.
    Of course, if your system is already taxed with the current load, changing these variables may not do much.
    Thanks for the reply, unfortunately that didn't cut it for me

Originally posted by Rhykker View Post
    Looking at the user-made UT Wallpapers thread, I'm seeing some really great character models...
    That is essentially how my game looks. Looks great non the less.

For those who are having a hard time distinguishing between the different quality of textures between the different character models, here's an easy way to help.

- Lauren, Akasha, Barktooth, and Harlin tend to be the easiest to compare
    - Select any of these characters with their faces showing
    - Start a Game
    - Go into the command console and use the "playersonly" command, use feign death
    - Your character should be standing up right in combat stance with your camera having the ability to go right up against the face.
    - Now you can clearly compare the two

And no this is not when I started noticing it. I started noticing it when using the sniper rifle in a medium/close range situation (don't ask why), and a lot of times walking over their body while looking down after a few shots with the enforcers.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X