Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official AI Bot Bug List - Post Your Findings!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Official AI Bot Bug List - Post Your Findings!

There have been a few threads about this already, but I thought I would start a comprehensive Bug list for Bots in one thread.

I have played the game for over a week now and playing through some of the Campaign and a lot of Instant Action matches it is obvious the bot AI is far from finished and I hope Epic keeps fine tuning them to the level of previous UT games.

Path finding (Navigation) Issues

*Bots try and teleport to places they can't and just stand there shooting the teleporter disc forever. This makes them easy targets and takes them away from their primary objective(s) -- See below.

*Bots try and jump over items that are too high repeatedly. You can see this on "Market District" outside the Blue base with the fruit crates and the little fruit stand set up out front. They have a hard time getting over the crates.

*Bot get stuck on certain map geometry. Prime example is WAR-Sandstorm where the Darkwalker spawns in a sunken crater. They can't make it up the steep slope and over the wall of the crater.

(I had to go into the UEditor 3, delete and add new path nodes to solve this problem. I also put the Darkwalker outside the red base near the flag. I should not have to do this and most players won't know how to do this even if they wanted to)

Bot Priorities for Objectives Are Screwy

*In a CTF match bots will turn around and fight pursuing bots instead of keep running toward their home base.

*In CTF/WAR bots will stand idle at their base staring at the ground or sky. They are not on defense. It is like they are waiting for input from the game to tell them what to do next.

*In WAR bots with orbs will choose to engage enemies instead of go directly to the Node. I witnessed a bot stop five feet from the node, turn and start engaging enemy bots who were crossing below it (Node is on a bridge). Why didn't the bot first deposit the Orb and THEN engage enemies?

General Bugs

*Bots stop and continually try and shoot through grates and catwalks if another bot is above or below them.

*Bots appear very imbalanced. "Skilled" setting feels more like Inhuman, or Godlike compared with UT2004.

Q: Does the strength of the weapons in Instant Action/Campaign also change with bot skill? It feels like the bots have more powerful versions of the weapons while the player has normal weapon strength.

Example:

On "Skilled" I can kill a bot with two shots (primary) from the Flak cannon. They can kill me with just one. The same goes for the other weapons. The stinger takes me about 15-20 shots (primary fire) and they can down me with about 5 to 10.

If this is the case this definitely needs to go because it isn't fair in any sense of the word. At least in previous UT games bots and humans were on equal footing as far as weapon strength and only had to contend with superior reflexes, not stronger weapons.

.................................................. .................................................. ....

Please add your list of bugs and observations to this list. Hopefully, someone from Epic will glance at this list and at least take into consideration some of the bugs and fix them.

Like I said before, this doesn't just affect SP players. It affects CO-OP and other modes that depend on better AI like Invasion and others if they eventually add those modes down the line.

Perhaps not a bug as such :
    can't change bot-voices at all ...
    new characters added to existing factions always have the default voice for that faction

Comment

I think theres a bad path on VCTF-Sandstorm, one of the bots kept getting stuck before a wall (before you get in the tunnel type of thing, backwards to the white wall with alot of sand)

Comment

the bots that are chasing to kill me get stuck constantly running into walls
        i'm not sure if this one would count, but your teammates in warfare are stupid and useless

Comment

Originally posted by TPSFan View Post
          Q: Does the strength of the weapons in Instant Action/Campaign also change with bot skill? It feels like the bots have more powerful versions of the weapons while the player has normal weapon strength.

Example:

On "Skilled" I can kill a bot with two shots (primary) from the Flak cannon. They can kill me with just one. The same goes for the other weapons. The stinger takes me about 15-20 shots (primary fire) and they can down me with about 5 to 10.

If this is the case this definitely needs to go because it isn't fair in any sense of the word. At least in previous UT games bots and humans were on equal footing as far as weapon strength and only had to contend with superior reflexes, not stronger weapons.
          Answer: **** right it does. The bots do have more powerful weapon strength and they also have seemingly increased splash damage with the Rockets from RL that human players don't have. That does need to go as you said.

Another bug I noticed is in WAR-OnyxCoast, the Red team bots will deploy the Leviathan at the home-base, without going anywhere, and just sit there shooting the Uber-destructive laser into the ground right in front of them, hitting absolutely nothing and leaving you to wonder what it is they are shooting at.

Comment

Yeah on a few levels I noticed the bots standing around the lifts doing nothing. I shot one in the back and then he climbed on the lift and continued on his pathing. Seems like on Serenity the bots tend to take the leviathan and get it stuck on the rocks on the middle two nodes. But on the whole the bots are pretty darn good.

Comment

Originally posted by TPSFan View Post
              *In a CTF match bots will turn around and fight pursuing bots instead of keep running toward their home base.

*In WAR bots with orbs will choose to engage enemies instead of go directly to the Node. I witnessed a bot stop five feet from the node, turn and start engaging enemy bots who were crossing below it (Node is on a bridge). Why didn't the bot first deposit the Orb and THEN engage enemies?
              Done intentionally at low-medium skill levels to varying degrees and this is no different than previous UTs.

*In CTF/WAR bots will stand idle at their base staring at the ground or sky. They are not on defense. It is like they are waiting for input from the game to tell them what to do next.
              They are on defense, although sometimes their view direction gets broken and they face straight up or down. Still not sure what's going on there, it never seems to happen when I'm looking

*Bots stop and continually try and shoot through grates and catwalks if another bot is above or below them.
              Sounds like a collision bug

*Bots appear very imbalanced. "Skilled" setting feels more like Inhuman, or Godlike compared with UT2004.
              The bots were improved in a lot of ways, especially combat wise, that maybe weren't made enough "intentionally stupid" at the lower difficulty levels. Of course, if we had, then you'd probably be complaining about how dumb they are about those things in this thread, so we probably can't win either way.

The bots do less damage than you at lower skill levels. They never do more damage than you do.

Comment

The bots in Tank Crossing will take the tank, drive halfway to the bridge, spin the turret round for a bit and then drive it back to your own base, even though the bridge has been lowered.
                The programmers could have probably written much better AI routines for the bots but it would have probably used more CPU/RAM in the process, leaving less available for geometry calculations etc, which would probably bring the framerate down.

Comment

Mysterial:

Thank you for your input.

The bots for the UT series on whole are very good... But some of these bugs (or whatever) are glaringly obvious if not game stopping -- Like the VCTF-Sandstorm bug I and others listed here.

I realize developers have deadlines and finite resources and can't just sit there and play the game hours on end looking for every single thing... But I also feel this game was rushed to market and I hope you guys (and gals) continue to fine tune the game as we go along. This obviously includes not just MP and additional content, but Bot AI as well.

Epic has never let me down before, so I have great hope it will be no different this time.

Thank you for responding to the thread.

Comment

Bots stand still when defendin a flag\node when there is no turret.

Comment

Hi,

On Torlan one was standing on top of the base tower shooting at a hill to the left, one of the ones you cant get to.

Also on Torlan when I was at destroy enemy node, I got to it there was a bot hovering around it in a manta doing nothing, if I remember right I think it tried to squash me, I died (not from own bot btw), then when I got back to the node the bot was still hovering there doing nothing

Don't remember the map name I dunno names off by heart yet, but on it one bot was in one of the big walker things and trying to get between 2 pillars, instead of trying another way it kept repeatedly trying to get through.

Apart from that the ones the OP mentioned and the above pretty much covers what I've seen them do, god knows what they're up to when no-ones watching

Ps. Oh yeah I forgot, on VCTF, Downtown I think it was, some of my team bots would shoot at me when I was running home with the flag (seemed to be only when they were in vehicles though.)

Comment

I had several bots getting stuck on a corner in one of the Dusk prime node buildings, right beside the exit.

Originally posted by Mysterial View Post
                        The bots do less damage than you at lower skill levels.
                        I wish that would go. Or that it would be in a separate setting... having Bot Skill (n00b, casual, l33t, pr0, godlike) on the one side and Difficulty Level (half damage, regular damage, double damage) on the other (which I personally would always set to "regular").

Comment

Originally posted by Xyx View Post

Or that it would be in a separate setting... having Bot Skill (n00b, casual, l33t, pr0, godlike) on the one side and Difficulty Level (half damage, regular damage, double damage) on the other (which I personally would always set to "regular").
                          THAT IS A BRILLIANT IDEA !! If it were possible to incorporate this, then yes, it should be considered. Please Epic, do consider this, if it's possible.

Comment

Originally posted by brdempsey69 View Post
                            THAT IS A BRILLIANT IDEA !! If it were possible to incorporate this, then yes, it should be considered. Please Epic, do consider this, if it's possible.
                            This might be the wrong thread for it, but I agree wholeheartedly also. I might want them to have inhuman aim and dodging, but I never want them to do more (or less) damage than I do.

Comment

FWIW, if you play a listen server (even if nobody connects) then bot damage will be 100% regardless of difficulty setting.

Comment

Working...
                              X