Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone else hate the bot teammates in warefare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Xyx View Post
    They seem pretty focussed with the orb. I wish they were as effective at stopping enemy orb runners as they were at delivering the orb.
    I'd agree with this. Though I didn't seem to notice that my team mates were especially bad in the campaign, the bots don't seem as worried about stopping an enemy orb carrier as they are concerned with becoming an orb carrier themselves.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by theeDEATHMASTER View Post
    They take the orb, do nothing with it while I have to manually go do everything myself. Anyone else have this problem, I'm looking for the command to kill a teammate if they touch my orb.
    Sounds like most public servers :P

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by TPSFan View Post
    I figured out exactly why bots are so bad in Warfare:

They are trying to dominate the entire map instead of just the primary link nodes.
    I wouldn't want them to ignore the Torlan center node, the Islander air node, the Power Surge mine node.

I wish they would ignore the Serenity mine node and the Dusk center nodes, though...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by _freespace_ View Post
    Thank you Jester. Next time stay home and cook dinner.
    You can leave THAT attitude at the door thank you.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by TPSFan View Post
    IMO there needs to be a tick box in future bot options that says "DEFER GOALS TO HUMANS" like the Counter-Strike: Source bots have that allows only the human player(s) to complete the primary tasks. In this case, orb carrying.
    OTOH, when I tell them to attack, they don't listen. Attack should refer to the primary objective, either the next node, or the core, but instead, they go off and attack somewhere random, and almost never the primary objective.

I think it'd be great if commands were just more specific. "Attack" isn't good enough. Even "defend" seems to be useless most of the time.

And while on the subject of more complex commands, just want to say it'd also be nice if the game paused when I hit the command menu. A more involved menu, especially, can mean screwing up my own more important objective, trying to micromanage the bots who never seem to listen anyhow.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    IMO there needs to be a tick box in future bot options that says "DEFER GOALS TO HUMANS" like the Counter-Strike: Source bots have that allows only the human player(s) to complete the primary tasks. In this case, orb carrying.

Also...

FUTURE PATCH REQUEST:

I figured out exactly why bots are so bad in Warfare:

They are trying to dominate the entire map instead of just the primary link nodes.

As a test, I used "Market District" because it is small and has one of everything: One prime node and two secondary nodes that are not linked to the cores.

Once the bots take the prime node, an orb spawns they try and get it to the east or west nodes. What should happen is once the prime node is captured the bots forget about the orb and secondary nodes and push onto the enemy base and attack the core.

They don't do this.

So, basically, from what I have observed it comes down to (re)prioritizing objectives in the bot subroutines.

That is, if the prime node is captured they should press the attack on the enemy base and core. All non-primary and linking nodes should be secondary until the prime node and or other vital link nodes are retaken.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    What we really need is the return of the UT2004 voice recognition commands.

That way when the bots decide to grab the orb and run around aimlessly with it we can just say:

"Bravo suicide"

...and they'll kindly fall over dead for us so we can pick up the orb and win.

Same goes for bots that pick up the enemy flag in CTF and try to walk it back to base in a straight line. I don't even attempt to guard them anymore and just wait by the flagstand for their inevitable demise and the return of the flag. Then I can pick it up and make it back in half the time it took them to die with it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Another campaign-related thing: did anyone else notice that WAR-Serenity (the leviathan map I was referring to in my post above), which takes place in a forest, appears on the campaign map in the middle of the ocean? And not on a landmass, either, but smack in the middle of the water.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Geez wait until Sandstorm warefare, only one exactly specific strategy worked for me.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Merzbau View Post
    But that was nothing compared to the second run through Torlan, as a lot of people have mentioned. The combination of the bots' very poor Warfare skills and the hamfisted attempts to add "challenge" to the map by outnumbering you 6 to 4 and starting the enemy with control of nearly every node on the map combine to make something almost unwinnable, especially with the SPMA on the west road node.
    Amen to that....I thought it was just me. That level took me over a dozen attempts to finally beat it....plus all the freezing problems on that level. The PC nearly went out the window!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Merzbau View Post
    But that was nothing compared to the second run through Torlan, as a lot of people have mentioned. The combination of the bots' very poor Warfare skills and the hamfisted attempts to add "challenge" to the map by outnumbering you 6 to 4 and starting the enemy with control of nearly every node on the map combine to make something almost unwinnable, especially with the SPMA on the west road node. In my experience the enemy bots constantly swarmed my prime, all the while shelling it with the SPMA from the safety of the west road node, while my teammates repeatedly ferried our orb to the unlinked center node. I'm a reasonably skilled player and I can't even beat this mission on Casual difficulty- the deck is just so heavily stacked in the opponents' favor, especially with the allied bots dumber than a sack of doorknobs.
    I wholeheartedly agree. Torlan has been kicking my butt and I couldn't figure why the developers felt the need to have your team down by 2 people, have the enemy team capture their prime node AND the center node before I could even reach my prime node and make my teammates absolutely useless. They sit and wait the orb to spawn instead of attacking the next node, and when they get it, it's dropped within seconds and they block me from actually taking the orb so I can do something with it. The best I've been able to do is capture the center node and have it lost within 30 seconds and lose the match a few minutes later. It's unwinnable in it's current state in normal mode. In fact, I can't progress in the game since I cannot win this match. I guess I'll have to resort to the god mode I've read about, but I'd rather win straight up.

I thought my teammates were useless in CTF, but this takes their stupidity to whole new level.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    • Bots & AI
      • Epic plans to give a lot more personality to the UT Envy bots, shown through their interactions with players and each other in the single player campaign.
      • Bots' personalities will make them better suited to certain tasks.
      • "So if you're doing a flag run, you can hear what's going on back at your base because guys are shouting to each other where the enemy's coming from and what they're doing to prevent it". - Steve Polge
      • Voice command will play a much larger role in UT "Envy".
      • "You'll be able to ask [the bots] questions about their status: 'Is there anybody down in the cavern?', 'No, cavern's all clear'. Or you could throw out warnings like, "There's a sniper on the tower. Go get the sniper.'" - Steve Polge
    -BeyondUnreal

but anyways, Othello's a pretty good bot.. I use him for assisting in Flagruns. Bishop's good for sniping in face-style maps. Jester... if bishop's not defending, i put her on defense. If he is, I let her run free. jester's pretty useless imo.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I made a demo of how smart Jester is, I forgot to stop the demorec so it keeps going but its only the first few seconds I want to show. type demoplay olo to start, demostop to stop.
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LXYBVLTW

Leave a comment:

• replied
    After spending most of my time playing in Instant Action, I finally started the campaign today. For the most part bot AI was acceptable, though it had a few problems in CTF-Kargo, until I hit the forest Warfare map with the Leviathan (I forget the name) against the Krall. My teammate bots were completely useless, often completely ignoring the linear route to the enemy core to attack the mine node, never using the orb effectively even though they grabbed it from the dispenser the instant it spawned without fail, and once I'd established a link to the enemy core, refusing to attack it no matter what orders I issued- they were still obsessed with defending the mine node! I had to destroy the core completely on my own.

But that was nothing compared to the second run through Torlan, as a lot of people have mentioned. The combination of the bots' very poor Warfare skills and the hamfisted attempts to add "challenge" to the map by outnumbering you 6 to 4 and starting the enemy with control of nearly every node on the map combine to make something almost unwinnable, especially with the SPMA on the west road node. In my experience the enemy bots constantly swarmed my prime, all the while shelling it with the SPMA from the safety of the west road node, while my teammates repeatedly ferried our orb to the unlinked center node. I'm a reasonably skilled player and I can't even beat this mission on Casual difficulty- the deck is just so heavily stacked in the opponents' favor, especially with the allied bots dumber than a sack of doorknobs.

Overall I've been quite satisfied with the game, and even Warfare mode, which seemed like a dodgy idea at first, is a noticeable improvement over Onslaught. But the allied bot AI makes the campaign nearly unplayable in places.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I usually ignore the bots, seems to work most of the time. Only time they annoy me is if they manage to get the flag, they never ever return to the base with it. Good thing same happens to the other team. I think there was only one time where a bot captured the flag.

I just let the bots pick up the orbs even though they almost never do anything with it. They sometimes use it to get an instant capture, but they never use it to defend. On those maps I just go and try to destroy the core as quickly as possible. Most of the time it feels like I am the only person on the team.

Only maps that I feel they are an asset are on the deathmatch ones.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X