Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Initial UT3 Review (yes another one) and opinions

Howdy,

I thought I'd post my initial review.... why is "my initial review" post worthy.. well, I don't know other than I've been playing Unreal since 'round 97 and I've listened to all of you guy's reviews and comments (hype, pre beta, live beta, pre ut3 etc..). So, it's my turn. ;-)

Also, this is an *initial* review.. I haven't even finished the campaign yet... but I don't want to write a 6 page, in depth, "I'm a master", review... just some key points from a veteran of Unreal (1 a: an old soldier of long service).. so take it in that context.

First, I actually went out and bought a machine for this game. The machine will double as our TV tuner for the familly room (but all other uses are just excuses to get this machine for the UT3 until the Mac version comes out) ;-). I haven't upgraded the card yet (waiting for the 8800gt) so I've been playing UT at well under the min. requirements! (NVIDIA 6150). With the detail settings at 900 X 600 I am getting an amazing 20 FPS on average... dipping into the red (15 to 20) when fighting a bot. So, yea, I can only barely tell whats going on.

However, having had a history with Unreal, I barely needed an introduction in the new game play. This is something I want to commend the Epic team on. This game is very much for veterans and I think they/we will initially have the advantage in the multi-player environment because of this. I started up UT and did my habitual few input changes to the default setup and was instantly familiar with game movement. I like the new "weight" of the players, and yes, it is reminiscent of the older Unreal games. I have heard all the bad things about the UI, but it doesn't bother me all that much. I like the new styling just fine, though I haven't used the multi-player section yet, and I am not worried about it because I know it is on the agenda for improvement. The settings are easily locatable (even if you have to make one or two more clicks) and I'm sure there will be more customability options for the game in the future patches.

So far, though my rez settings are laughable, I am pleased with the overall result of the game. I don't think it revolutionary (like I felt when UT came out), but I think it is evolutionary for sure (I think I stole that from another review... but it works). I like how you have to aim a bit better with the link guns.

The only gripe/s I have are similar to the gripes I've consistantly had... and they are mostly just my personal opinion about the direction the games is going. I feel like the game is ever losing it's maturity. Since Unreal, things are still getting more flashy... cartoony, and yes, consoleish.

I would like to see:
    More realism:
    - evolve the floating armor, colorful health pack, etc.. pickups. This sort of **** harkins back to the days when this stuff was needed because resolution was crappy, or games were just cartoony (mario bro's etc..). Perhaps have the armor lying in a corner or something (more realistic).
    - evolve the movement when confronted with obsticals. It's laughable that when you come up to a waist high wall you have to double jump to get over it... a fighter should be able to traverse chest high walls more realistically.. instead of awkward hammer jumps or something... you know, the hands on top of the wall and swing yur legs over - sort of thing. ...Ladder climbing, etc.. should all be readdressed.
    - I'm sure it is fun for a designer to create these flashy explosions, maps etc.. but it is a bit over the top In my opinion.

Game Play: Personally, I would like to see more strategy and intellect enter into the game... things to solve, objectives to meet requiring traversing of obsticals etc.. To give Epic credit on this, It appears this game is on this road already. I like a story line, strategy, teamwork, intellect along with the skillful battle, and Epic-like Map's and skins... so Kudo's on Epic for starting down this path.

That's enough for now. Can't wait to get this game on a real monitor and card.

=Uff-Da=

Why do you want more realism?

UT3 has never been about realism ( a big tournament with respawners everywhere? A gun shooting bio goo, or repairing vehicles with a link beam?) So don't ask for something it's not about.

Why do you want worse graphics?

Can't your PC handle the graphics at a decent framerate? Better graphics is a must nowadays, I wouldn't enjoy playing a game with bad graphics, really i wouldn't. I wouldn't enjoy playing a game with awesome graphics but bad gameplay either but guess what ut3 has GOOD gameplay.

My guess is you're just looking for things to whine about as there are only few things to whine about.

Comment

Did you even read what I wrote? "worse graphics"?
      Show me where I wrote that I want "worse graphics"..

Also, I think any somewhat intelligent person who reads my review won't think I'm whining...

I can answer the "why do I want more realism"..
      Relative to the technology of the day, the original Unreal was much more real (relatively) than it is today... at least that is what I remember (haven't played it in years). For every release since then, it's kept the general movement and mostly enhanced the graphics, gametypes and little things here and there. However, things like climbing ladders, traversing walls, and picking up armor have not evolved in the same fashion... or at least that is my opinion. When I talk about wanting UT to be more "real", I am listing very specific areas as such. I like the fantasy part of it.... hell it's the only game that I've bought every version of since it's inception 10 years ago.

Now, go and re-read what I wrote... I can help you sound out the words that you are having trouble with if that helps.

Donovan

Comment

hmm that was weird... because you say you're a vet but at the same time you would want more realism.. and it even sounds like you're just making a joke or something on that part! :P
        how can unreal be over the top...

i like how the armour is floating and turning around telling you "here i am, look at me, take me!" kinda poses for you! would be lame if it was just lying in some corner like some rpg game :/
        and even worse was the part with evolving movement... amg wtf, this aint cod4!!! it will just totally slow down the game with realistic movements like the one you explained... wtf!!

i dont have any comments on your "review" though because there's nothing to agree or disagree on! except maybe that i dont mind the ui either. a ui doesnt destroy a game like UT, sure it can be weird but its not like oblivion UI where its integrated part of the gameplay (ie inventory). in UT its just to bring you to the gameplay and at the end of the match...

Comment

Originally posted by gacmyver View Post
          hmm that was weird... because you say you're a vet but at the same time you would want more realism.. and it even sounds like you're just making a joke or something on that part! :P
          how can unreal be over the top...

Well, I think realistic interaction/gameplay is different than fantastical ideas and story line. Unreal (97) was one of the most realistic game plays on the market when it came out... though fantastical as it was. I see how that part can be confusing I guess, but in my review, I pointed out specific areas that I would like to see more real. There's more areas such as those that I would like to see more real as well.

i like how the armour is floating and turning around telling you "here i am, look at me, take me!" kinda poses for you! would be lame if it was just lying in some corner like some rpg game :/
          and even worse was the part with evolving movement... amg wtf, this aint cod4!!! it will just totally slow down the game with realistic movements like the one you explained... wtf!!
          I respect your opinion but I'll have to disagree on the game play speed. I don't think more real ways of climbing over a wall, climbing up a ladder, having a limited weapon carrying ability etc.. will make gameplay slower... Just more fun IMO. We'd still have jump boots and hammer jumps etc..

i dont have any comments on your "review" though because there's nothing to agree or disagree on! except maybe that i dont mind the ui either. a ui doesnt destroy a game like UT, sure it can be weird but its not like oblivion UI where its integrated part of the gameplay (ie inventory). in UT its just to bring you to the gameplay and at the end of the match...
          Da

Comment

Working...
          X