Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by =Uff-da= View Post
    "Pro" is short for professional. If you are a professional, it means you are getting paid... so to answer your question... a very very long time.
    I second that. I think the word Pro gets bantied about a little too much in computer gaming circles. I usually laugh at people who bring it up, as I'm laughing at Quakealot.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i played ut2004 TAM 4-5 hours a day vs pure. and own. and mm, etc. I can't remember the last time someone beat my score, and i've played abt 4-5 hours every day for 2 years

Leave a comment:

• replied
    "Pro" is short for professional. If you are a professional, it means you are getting paid... so to answer your question... a very very long time.

Da

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Quakealot View Post
    Just started UT3, never played a UT game beforehand, was a Quake fanboi.

Just wondering how steep the learning curve will be and how long playing 7 hours+ a a day will it take to become prO?
    If you were REALLY good, and with good I mean lets say a 60% efficiency in a 4v4 TDM match with only good players... then I'd say a couple of weeks maybe months, but certainly not years.

If you were an average player in Quake, well then brace yourself , you got some training to do

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by madafaka View Post
    For UT3, you don't really need that much of skills to be pro. The learning curve is easier than quake. If you were accurate playing quake, then you're already a pro in UT3. You just need to get familiar with UT3 weapons and that is a matter of a 7 days play
    You're full of it.

UT is not EASY to be pro in, LOL there are so many levels of skill it's ridiculous.

You think it's so easy would love to see you play combatcarl or stryfe, I doubt you have played with anyone that skillful.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Quakealot View Post
    Just started UT3, never played a UT game beforehand, was a Quake fanboi.

Just wondering how steep the learning curve will be and how long playing 7 hours+ a a day will it take to become prO?
    Dumb question.

Everyone`s different, who can say how long an individual takes to get good at anything? It`s all down to the person and how much he practises.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by madafaka View Post
    For UT3, you don't really need that much of skills to be pro. The learning curve is easier than quake. If you were accurate playing quake, then you're already a pro in UT3. You just need to get familiar with UT3 weapons and that is a matter of a 7 days play
    ER, yeah, ok

sorry disagree there, now i'm no pro, but i used to play online competitively (sort of ) back in UT99, quake was just run shoot, run shoot, UT is a whole different game, yeah if your aim was good in quake then there is no reason your aim shouldn't be good in UT but, your opponents are gonna move a hella lot different in UT. also the new bots in UT3 aren't gonna chase you down like you'll find alot of players do on pubs, they are smarter.
    +1 to playing TDM games as you will have to learn to play as a team and KNOW the map. CTF is again very different and plays to players strengths if done right.
    7 hours a day i would say iss too much, you can do more damage to your game that way especially if you get bad habits in there then they are hard to get out.

find a clan if you can and play that way with good players, you'll learn more and quicker, it certainly made a difference to my game (now my reactions are just getting slower , age you see )

but first and formost enjoy your playing and see it as a game

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by hangar View Post
    Unless you're between the ages of 12-15 OR very wealthy why would you spend 7 hours a day trying to get good at something that will never afford you a living in this world?...with that sort of time on your hands you'd be better off practicing some programming skills, maybe one day earning yourself a slot on a well known development team.

Playing video games as a career right now is a pipe dream...you'd have a better chance at the local OTB office or buying stock options...its the equivalent of being a professional gambler without the big payoff figures attached. A huge waste of your time unless money or a real career in your future doesnt interest you.

Get a job....or start a business...or better yet, stay in school and become a professional. Leave gaming where its supposed to be on your list of priorities...a way to relax have fun and escape reality. If my son was pondering on playing video games for 7 hours a day I'd throw the **** machine out the 2nd floor window and run over his hard drive till my tires went flat! That sort of time spent on games will definately skew your view of reality and can be VERY detrimental to your health and your life in general.

yes.........

Originally posted by Trepænima View Post

Live life how you choose.
    its a suggestion that more people should realize than actually do.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Leave a comment:

• replied
    He hasn't posted again. I get the feeling he was just trying to screw around? Forgive me if I am wrong, but it has been my experience when someone starts a topic and then walks away, it's usually a joke.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Unless you're between the ages of 12-15 OR very wealthy why would you spend 7 hours a day trying to get good at something that will never afford you a living in this world?...with that sort of time on your hands you'd be better off practicing some programming skills, maybe one day earning yourself a slot on a well known development team.

Playing video games as a career right now is a pipe dream...you'd have a better chance at the local OTB office or buying stock options...its the equivalent of being a professional gambler without the big payoff figures attached. A huge waste of your time unless money or a real career in your future doesnt interest you.

Get a job....or start a business...or better yet, stay in school and become a professional. Leave gaming where its supposed to be on your list of priorities...a way to relax have fun and escape reality. If my son was pondering on playing video games for 7 hours a day I'd throw the **** machine out the 2nd floor window and run over his hard drive till my tires went flat! That sort of time spent on games will definately skew your view of reality and can be VERY detrimental to your health and your life in general.

Live life how you choose.

I'm assuming you're coming from a competitive Quake background, so things like timing, aim, reactions will take minor adjustments. Movement may take a little longer, but still shouldn't be a problem. If you can DM well in quake, DMing in UT should be cake, just learn the weapons, as they are not as balanced as they are in Quake3.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It's gonna take you as long as it takes to turn all your graphics settings down and import some bright green skins for the enemy team. Then you'll be competitive!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Practice accuracy above all else. It's amazing how many people in pubs right now can't hit the broad side of a barn. I used to be an instagib addict. THAT will teach you accuracy. I'll be an addict again once they get a decent server filter system in place.

Leave a comment:

• replied

^^ What he said.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X