How long to become pro in UT3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long to become pro in UT3

Just started UT3, never played a UT game beforehand, was a Quake fanboi.

Just wondering how steep the learning curve will be and how long playing 7 hours+ a a day will it take to become prO?

Quality > quantity.

Comment

Originally posted by Quakealot View Post
      Just started UT3, never played a UT game beforehand, was a Quake fanboi.

Just wondering how steep the learning curve will be and how long playing 7 hours+ a a day will it take to become prO?
      It depends on the person, it depends on who you play with.

If you go onto pubs all day long you're prob not going to get pro like that haha.

Other people learn faster then others and I think sometimes people are just born with an ability that others are not.

I played ut2k4 a LOT sometimes 10 hours a day when I had no job and the best I ever got was when I started playing with really good players, even then if you were to compare me to competitive players I was in the lower section. At least I was able to get to the point where I could kill some people a lot more then I used to.

Comment

As far as I gather - it'll take a pretty long time. That said though, time playing really doesn't mean all that much, it's the effort you put into your game - no matter how long it is.

I only just started playing myself. Haven't tried online yet, waiting to get all my fps issues sorted out before I even try. Beforehand I've only played 2K3 and 2K4 casually, offline, against bots that weren't that high a level. This time though I'd like to get into the online community thing. So I guess it's safe to say I'm a pretty huge noob and am going to get majorly owned when I do start out online.

Oh well though, just gotta grin and bear it I guess, practice practice practice eh?

Comment

your kidding right, its going to take more than that try months or maybe even years to finally become really good at it. You have to think, first you have to know how to use all the weapons in the game and see how they work out in different situations. Second you have to know what map you are playing in and how to get around it, basically knowing the whole map inside out. Third trying different difficult levels to get yourself aquainted to the one you like. I can go on and on but you are going to have to learn the rest of it by yourself or have someone else help you out.

Comment

If you can find some good people to play with your skill may increase a lot. I remember playing with Nogame in 2k4 and I went from crappy to really good. But yeah, in general you should avoid pubs if you're looking for a real challenge.

Comment

Well, practice isnt all. You need to have the gift of perfect aim, timing and reactionspeeds.

Comment

You're gonna need at least 6 months playing with top players to be any good. Forget pubs, ask for skilled duels on IRC.

Comment

Originally posted by Koei View Post
                  Well, practice isnt all. You need to have the gift of perfect aim, timing and reactionspeeds.
                  Aim is practice, and reactionspeeds are pretty linear throughout humans. Top table and normal tennis players, and fighter pilots all have normal reaction times. It's the ability to see what is happening before it happens, and before anyone else does which gives the illusion of insane reaction times.

As for how long it will take you, if you're used to competitive gaming and play only competitively, i.e. no public servers, IRC pickups and decent clanmatches, along with 1v1s, for 7 hours a day, probably not that long. 3, 4, months and you'll be med-high skill if you actually keep up that routine, then its a slightly slower and slower progression the better you get.

Comment

40 days and 40 nights.

Comment

Assuming you're for real and not just fishing for fun with this topic...

Hook up with the competitive community and jump in the fire. We had at least one player that I know of in [404] that came from a Quake background. He was very good. The principles still apply in general (I am assuming you have a competitive Quake background), with timing, aim, etc. The movement system is different, but that shouldn't be hard at all for you to adapt to. Weapons are different, but that is a fun aspect to learn imo.

7 hrs a day is a lot of time. But like has been mentioned, if you just gimp around on pubs you'll go nowhere because there are aspects to organized gameplay you won't learn there.

I also say start with Duel or TDM. You can branch out into the other arenas if you so choose later. CTF is a different animal but many of the basics learned in DM/TDM will still heavily apply. You most likely won't be any good at CTF if you don't have good fragging skills to begin with. It doesn't matter all that much though, you could start with either.

Comment

Originally posted by flak.pt View Post
                        You're gonna need at least 6 months playing with top players to be any good. Forget pubs, ask for skilled duels on IRC.
                        That .

Comment

www.unrealna.com

go ask the people who actually play competetively in NA.

Comment

Two Weeks™

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Evil View Post
                              Two Weeks™
                              roffles roffles roffles

Comment

Working...
                              X