Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Instahit - sniper rifle and shock rifle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instahit - sniper rifle and shock rifle?

Hey I played original Unreal and UT99 but haven't played UT games since 5-6 years back... so i dont remember anything of UT's functions...
    It seems that sniper rifle and shock rifle are instahit weapons (not like rocket launcher where the rockets takes time to get to the target) on their primary attack function. My question is, is this really true?

I like to use the sniper rifle on big maps and ctf maps and what i have noticed is that unless i lead the target, i wouldnt hit the target? I understand that ping might come into play and my average ping is about 60.

However, the weird thing i noticed was that the faster the target is moving, the more i had to lead the target? let say a footsoldier running from far off, i would only have to lead by having the aim dot next to his head/body to hit.
    but if the target was at the same distance but travelling on a hoverboard, i have to lead him by around half an inch to hit him??
    this wouldnt be true if it was based on the ping? if it was based on the ping, i think that i would have to lead a target the SAME amount wether he was travelling fast or slow, because the weapon is instahit? That means that when i pull the trigger, the bullet would be where my aim dot is and thus if the ping made me lead, then it wouldnt make me lead any more if the target would be travelling faster... because you see the ping would be the same?

So anyone can confirm what i have explained here? I know it might be a bit confusing, but you'll get it if you just read it a bit slow :P

Im asking this because i just want to know if sniper rifle and shock rifle are technical really instahit weapons on their primary attack or are they just really fast travelling shots?

They're both instahit (hitscan). And logically, you will have to lead your target more the faster it moves, with the same ping.

Comment

Originally posted by gacmyver View Post
      this wouldnt be true if it was based on the ping?
      Why not? Your ping measures the time that communication with the server takes, so the longer the information that you've fired your gun takes to the server the more the gameworld will advance in-between. And, of course, the faster an enemy goes, the more he'll advance in that time.

I don't think the server remembers where everything was at the exact time you fired (i.e. looking back in time according to the time it took for the packet to get from your computer to the server), which would be the only way to make sure you wouldn't have to aim ahead *and* not having to totally trust the client on this.

Comment

so what you are saying is that at 0ms, my shot will truly be instahits? ie, if i had a match with the bots my hits will always hit? because i finished the singleplayer campaign and my experience with the sniper rifle there is the same on online matches... anyone else confirm this?

Comment

Originally posted by gacmyver View Post
          so what you are saying is that at 0ms, my shot will truly be instahits? ie, if i had a match with the bots my hits will always hit? because i finished the singleplayer campaign and my experience with the sniper rifle there is the same on online matches... anyone else confirm this?
          If I recall correctly the client sends a packet to the server where your opponent was at that moment in time on YOUR computer, basicly you will hit them if you have aimed correctly on YOUR machine. If the opponent has a really high ping, this does not compute so to speak.

There was a really good post recently on the forums about this and tickrate, ill have a look...

edit: read this its excellent: http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=579687

Comment

Originally posted by Loeder View Post
            If I recall correctly the client sends a packet to the server where your opponent was at that moment in time on YOUR computer, basicly you will hit them if you have aimed correctly on YOUR machine. If the opponent has a really high ping, this does not compute so to speak.

There was a really good post recently on the forums about this and tickrate, ill have a look...

edit: read this its excellent: http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=579687
            thanks for the link man!

i checked a bit on instant play with bots, and it seems that the sniper rifle indeed is instahit... because i was leading as usual like i do on online matches but i missed alot, then i wasnt leading and got direct hits! but the bots are so stupid (had them at masterful), they just stood around most of the time waiting to get pwned so it took a long time to get satisified that i didnt need to lead when they were on the move...

Comment

Yea good explanation how it works in that thread, glad I could be of service

even more edit: A friend gave me this link: http://wiki.unrealadmin.org/Netspeed_Tutorial_(UT)

Comment

mini primary is hitscan as well.

Comment

Working...
                X