No announcement yet.

Nick system - Nick "Stolen"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, i've been somewhat of a victim of this nick system, but it was a little more complicated. The thing was that, i forgot the password for my old account, AND the password for the mail i used to register. The mail was on yahoo and of course i used some silly answer to that "Secret" question, so i lost big time (kinda embarassing, but 'twas holidays so i didn't go online for a month or such). And so, i ended up stealing my own nick since on the new account i couldn't chose the same name, and the old account can't be deleted or anything.

Guess i should've layed off that egg-nog

Comment

Accounts that go unused for a specified time (at least a month) should be purged since this is not World of Warcraft and nobody loses their characters and what-not. Still, we need to be able to use our nicks. The OP here had one for five years. I have been using mine since 1993, maybe 1992, and I cannot use it in this one game. Hell, I even got to use it in WoW, and they have a HELL of a lot more players than UT3!

Comment

Originally posted by Typhus View Post
        Hey everyone,

Ok, enough of that, i downloaded UT3 demo and i tried to register my nick, the same nick i have been playing for 5 years, Typhus, but the system says my nick is already taken....
        When I downloaded the game it told me the nick I've been using since quake was already taken. I was ready to send hate mail to gamespy and epic when I remembered I used gamespy once before for Quake 2 matches. Hey presto, I dug out my old password and punched it in and bobshruncle.

Comment

look in the Mod section for the scoreboard mutator... it's telling something about nick change

Comment

That doesnt do me. Epic should fix this asap! The game isnt getting any active, the clanbase UT3 ladders are a joke.

Comment

yea saw that it doesn't do the job after i pointed to that mut...

Comment

If you aliased in UT2K4 and got tracked, you didn't have a clue what you were doing. If you simply change your stats name/password and your nick, it logs to a different stats account. Using the same CD key and online nick, but using ten different stats logins, you log ten different stats instances for your nick.

This new one just simplifies the process by using your login as your nick. This is fine for people who like changing up and not being tracked, but for those of us who pride ourselves on being good players, but also wanting to use our nicks, it sucks balls. I have lost a LOT of respect for Epic since UT3 hit due to bot AI issues (aimbots is more like it) and this screwed-up, sorry-*** excuse for a login/nickname system.

I have bought almost every game Epic has released since the days of DOS (Jazz Jackrabbit, anybody?) but unless they remove this horrendous inability to use your own nick, I refuse to purchase any more games from them. I will also continue discouraging purchases of this product to my friends and others. I have already convince 17 people not to buy UT3 simply by showing them the login system and allowing them to browse these forums!

Comment

And you counted? So after enjoying all the brilliant games from Epic for years upon years, your loyalty is so frail that you'll turn on them over something like that? Be a little less dramatic man! The bot AI is being resolved as we speak, the second patch addresses many issues. And the nick problem, eh, it sucks (read my sig), but what are you gonna do? Not enjoy a great game because you have to create a variation of your favorite nick? Don't you want to have fun?

Comment

Working...
                  X