Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nick system - Nick "Stolen"

Hey everyone,

This is my first post on Epic forums and im gonna probably get bashed etc.

I have been playing Unreal Tournaments games since 2003 edition, till today with the same nick, Typhus, i have been in 3 clans, the last one being one of the best clans if not the best in UT2004 instagib, we have won numerous, including Euro Cups the most prestige cup in CLan Base, the last 3 editions we have been on all finals.

Ok, enough of that, i downloaded UT3 demo and i tried to register my nick, the same nick i have been playing for 5 years, Typhus, but the system says my nick is already taken.... not worried, i registered the nick with my clan tag, NC|Typhus.

I have the full game since last Monday, and i was excited about it, i tho it would allow me to have my nick back, but it didnt, it said its still taken by someone else....

Its not like this nick is copyright and only I can use it, but after playing with the same nick for about 5 years it does become part of yourself and its like i have lost something that worths a lot.

I was wondering, is there any way i could have it back?

Is there any way i could track the guy with my nick in game and try to explain him if i could have the nick back?

If someone creates a nick and then doesnt use it no more, is there any "time out" untill it can be registered again?

Will future patch bring back the nick system of UT2004? For example keeping the same registration thingy but having an option for online nick?

Please help me Epic, i have lost something that worths a lot to me

Afraid nicks are all game.. I can understand your frustration, but.. Maybe it's time to enter a new era in your life? Get a new nick..

Comment

I guess the only solution is to use a "leet" character in the nick. e.g. Typhu§. Cut and paste whatever you choose into the registarion box.

Comment

People shouldn't have to be changing their nicknames just because Epic doesn't have a clue. A nickname is more than just a few characters used to represent yourself in a game. You don't just change your nickname after so many years, not if you identify with your nick and/or you are known by it.

I'm sure there will be some way around this before too long, but this is really something Epic should take care of.

Comment

agreed!... this system is too consolish and doesnt fit pc gaming! :/

Comment

Yeah, I hope that Epic allow different nicknames under the same account for situations like this, that said, I was able to use StopIt, which (With the space) I have used online for over 8 years now, so I know what online continuity means to some people.

Comment

I highly doubt you will be able to use different nicks like 2k4...

Its all because of GameSpy!!!!

GameSpy is ****.. I can use same nick in BF2 & 2142 (they had some deal that carried over to 2142 from BF2) but couldn't use the same nick TDU. I couldn't use either nick for UT3 and I had to create another. Same problem you might be having. I might have 20 nicks associated with gamespy account because of it ... I'm almost to the point where I dont even know which one is which anymore and you cant look up anything on their site...

**** gamespy!

Comment

Im happy to see some of you share my opinion, and support it, could we get an answer from Epic?

Online nickname its like a second name, i dont feel like changing nick at all, not after using it for about 5 years and building a great reputation around that nick....

Epic? The spotlight is yours now

Comment

By the way, does the nick "time out" if not used for X time?

Comment

@ Brunz - I'm sure it's due to gamespy, but that doesn't even matter really. The gamespy login provides the unique login name, but that doesn't mean that Epic is forced to actually display this login name as the nickname. They could just aswell keep it as a unique identifier and stats id while allowing the player to display any nickname they want, like they do with clantags now.

@ Typhus - There's been many threads related to this, including a poll, which had (last time I saw it) about 80% voting for being allowed to change nicks, and no proper reasons given by people voting against it. It's pretty clear what the community wants, it's also pretty clear that this situation sucks for online competitions, but Epic has yet to respond.

Also, good point regarding the "time out", as any one person can register many nicks (yet another good reason why the current system is really poor).

Comment

I agree. I was lucky and was one of the first downloading the demo and therefor I managed to register my nick, it usually gets picked by someone else since its alot more common now than back in the days when I started using it(back in the days is about 11-12 years or so ).

But I still agree that you should be able to change your nickname ingame, it cant be that hard to incorporate the gamespy ID so that it maybe instead shows up in the stats or logs of the server.

Comment

Thanks for your reply Sero.

I do hope Epic manages to overcome this problems, like you said there has been many threads and there was polls as well, i didnt know, im new around here, i hope Epic can incorporate the online nick change in their next patch, but the beta patch doesnt indicate so..

Comment

I agree about this. With the old stat system, you had a username and password for the stats that always remained the same, no matter which player name you used. That did have some drawbacks in that no player name was actually "assigned" to any one person, therefore it was very easy for rogue players to fake a nick and pose as someone else. Also, some players would "alias" or use a separate nick for many reasons. Some of the more competitive players would go into pub servers and scrim, not wanting to get bashed by a pubber if they got beaten by said pubber. Yes, it was an ego thing.

In their infinite wisdom, Epic decided to go the route of tying together the player name to the login in order to combat cheating, fake nicking, etc. It may not be a perfect system, but I suppose it works okay in that aspect. To the OP, I would simply do as someone else suggested, use a special character in your name to distinguish yourself. It does kinda blow that another player has taken your nick, but in this case, there isn't much you can do about it.

It's too bad that there isn't a better way to do this, but I feel that the current method is better than the old style of doing business. I know that to a lot of casual players, a nick is something you can change as often as you change your socks, but to some of us, it is our online persona as well. I hope that somewhere down the road, between Epic and GS, we can find a happy medium.

Comment

Originally posted by Crotale View Post
                            some stuff
                            The thing is, neither of the points you mention (fakenicking, cheating) are an issue here. It is an understatement to claim that it is easy to have both a nickname you can alter and a way of easily identifiying someone on a server.

As for cheating, if someone decides to not login and cheat with someone elses name (I'm gonna assume a cheater isn't too bothered having to play with default settings.), it will only create more problems if the majority of people think there can only be one person with a certain nickname.

edit: I said the following in the last thread about this that I participated in, but I feel it's important to repeat it yet again:

There is absolutely nothing that the current system does, that cannot be achieved just as easily or even easier without this system, while it brings a world of limitations with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sero View Post
                              The thing is, neither of the points you mention (fakenicking, cheating) are an issue here. It is an understatement to claim that it is easy to have both a nickname you can alter and a way of easily identifiying someone on a server.
                              Yeah, well, Mr. Knowitall, at least now that I have a name registered, it is highly unlikely a person can fakenick as me using the exact same alpha-numeric characters. At least it is a start in the right general direction.

As for cheating, if someone decides to not login and cheat with someone elses name (I'm gonna assume a cheater isn't too bothered having to play with default settings.), it will only create more problems if the majority of people think there can only be one person with a certain nickname.
                              It is meant to deter, not stop fakenicking/cheating. There currently is and probably never will be a sure fire method.

There is absolutely nothing that the current system does, that cannot be achieved just as easily or even easier without this system, while it brings a world of limitations with it.
                              Uh, okay there sunshine. The current system is at least trying to do so something about the fakenicking/cheating. Yes, it is limiting in its allowance, but it isn't a showstopper.

Comment

Working...
                              X