Graphically challenged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graphically challenged

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a minimalist when it comes to my computer. I mostly use it for business. I upgraded my graphics card back when FEAR and Doom3 came out so my machine could handle the more intense graphics ( I remember when the origional Doom series came out and that was considered good graphics).

So I currently have a radeon 1300X and an old AMD 2100 processor ( it wasn't long ago that I could max the graphics on most games with this). I've been looking forward to UT3's advanced graphics, but I can't play it on any better than the lower settings. The game is awsome and I can still enjoy it, but I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of what it has to offer.

Anyone else in a similar position? Any suggestions that don't require expensive updating? My paychecks go to house payments, so it's too hard to justify a new computer for games.

In order to see any noticeable improvements you'll have to basically buy a new computer. You'll need a motherboard that supports PCI-Express and at least a dual core processor. The game should run fairly nicely like this though

Comment

That's the bummer about PC gaming. Shortly after you've bought the latest and greatest technology, it's outdated. The game is great though, so I'll have fun getting blown up while looking like **** (heh heh).

Comment

yeah, i have a new notebook and the game looks great on it but even better on my friend's new desktop. I too, couldn't justify buying a computer just for gaming because my notebook is mainly for business too.....but I only have the demo of this game. I am still thinking about buying it......i am new to this game!

Comment

Originally posted by RocktardoTed View Post
          That's the bummer about PC gaming. Shortly after you've bought the latest and greatest technology, it's outdated. The game is great though, so I'll have fun getting blown up while looking like **** (heh heh).
          A top of the line PC will cost you more than the latest Top of the line Console and last you about as long (4ish years), maybe a little longer (in its original, un-upgraded state). The nice thing is that you can often replace single components as you need to instead of buying a completely new system. My current system was the first complete rebuild I did in 7 years. I'd been upgrading single components as needed up until last february when I decided it was time to start from scratch (mobo and CPU got fried, Graphics card was outdated).

Comment

Unfortunately, I'm at a point where upgrading components is difficult with my old machine. I go to Best Buy and get laughed at. But I agree, it's nice to only have to upgrade components, generally.

Comment

If you want a computer which will play it on decent graphics quality you'll have to spend at least £600 which is $1237.

Comment

That's a house payment. Doesn't have to look great to be fun though.

Comment

dual core.2gig ram and a gforce 7950 isnt that expensive and should give you a good game experience

optimal is a quad core and 8800 ultra and 4gigs of ram but thats a monster rig

Comment

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=588754

Comment

11th december new 8800gts comes out with 512mb,should be a good card,uses the g92 chip and costs 300euros(299-350 usdollar)-but it will be hard to get

Comment

barely beats the GT and uses more power & cost 100.00 more.

Comment

A big factor depends on what resolution you find acceptable and what kind of monitor you have as well.

Most mid-to-high-end video cards can easily give you 60-80 FPS @ 1280x1024 (widescreen; LCD) and up with all the graphical bells and whistles turned on -- The Nvidia 8800GT being one of those cards.

The great thing about the hardware wars is you don't have to buy the latest and greatest to still have an optimal gaming experience.

ATI/AMD is the leading competitor to Intel and Nvidia.

Right now Intel and Nvidia seem to be leading the "latest and greatest" race with the Core2 Duo and NV800 line... But like I said this is subjective. They might give you top of the line performance, but that doesn't mean everything else is greatly inferior just because of this fact.

I have an AMD 64 X2 4400+ with X1950 Pro 256 MB with 2 GB DDR2 RAM and can play every single game on the market right now except Crysis* at high resolutions and frame rates... And I *can* play Crysis, just not in DX10 and at uber-high resolutions.

I think games look better with an ATI GPU which is why I am going to get the ATI 3870 shortly. I am not a fanboy because I go with what I feel is the best bang for the buck. Hence, why I have gone back and forth between ATI, Intel and Nvidia over the years using various combinations of hardware to give me my optimal gaming experience.

And the thing about PC gaming is if you have a solid foundation (motherboard, PSU and CPU) the only real component you have to upgrade every few years is the GPU. This is what I am going to do next and all I need to do because of the strong foundation I already have in place.

Sure, in two, or three years I will once again have to start over because new motherboard and CPU technology will be released (DDR3; PCI-E 2.0; SSD)... But that's OK because like I said, I don't have to have the top-of-the-line gear as long as the cost effective alternative performs just as well if not better.

Comment

i dont get whats so expensive about it i mean i have a normal computer nothing spech and i am on the dole i get a WOPPING!!!! $400 a fortnight...............its easy to save a few bob here and a few bob there.........buy the parts you need one by one even if it takes you 6 months its worth it

Comment

Im saving £3000 for my next rig.

Comment

Working...
                              X