Processor running at 100%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Processor running at 100%

I have an Athlon X2 4000 and for some reason my processor runs at 100% even at the main menu of the game. The game doesnt lag but my processor stays at 100%. I play tons of other games and that never happen with other games. Any suggestions?

Compare UT3's commit charge with your other games, if it's significantly higher, then yes, it is using a good amount of your CPU. However, if the charge isn't much higher than your normal games, check your processes / services for background programs that could be hogging up your CPU.

(For example: Vista's online print spooler will hog the @#$! out of your CPU's resources if a document is left in it and the printer is turned off)

Comment

Yes, don't look at the Task Manager

More seriously ... it seems that UT3 uses 100% CPU time in most cases. Only quad core systems are reportedly running 60-80%. So it just seems like a fact of life.

When you start getting problems (intermittent freezing or hiccups), try the suggestions in this thread or this thread.

Comment

Rendering a 3D scene in the background of the menus was a really bad idea. It serves no purpose except to suck watts out of your system when it should be idle. Not exactly green thinking.

Comment

I don't think that's a 3D scene. Just a video background. No one would make lots n lots of nice 3D and then make it all blurry and impossible to see anything...

Whoever finds the irony in this posting wins two internets.

Comment

Originally posted by FolkUT View Post
            Rendering a 3D scene in the background of the menus was a really bad idea. It serves no purpose except to suck watts out of your system when it should be idle. Not exactly green thinking.
            100% Agree for the menu. Same thing when you press ESC while in a game.

Comment

Originally posted by FolkUT View Post
              Again...our favorite term "consolfied"

Comment

Originally posted by Drintion View Post
                Compare UT3's commit charge with your other games, if it's significantly higher, then yes, it is using a good amount of your CPU.
                Errr... "Commit charge" only shows the amount of virtual memory (i.e. physical RAM + swapfile(s)) used, it has exactly zero to do with CPU usage.

But as far as CPU usage is concerned - yeah, it really shouldn't hit 100% on a multi-core machine when the game isn't even shown; after all, only the gameworld (if any) needs to be updated, and the menu should just be paused as a whole. If anything, dropping the max framerate to 10 or some other low value when the game doesn't have focus should help a bit...

Still - as long as you don't let it sit in the menu or keep it minimized for hours the amount of energy wasted that way is negligible.

Comment

its normal for 3D games without frame-rate-limiter to gain 100% CPU. Its not bad at all. If another process needs CPU Power, windows will give the another process CPU cycles. Its no problem.

Comment

right, my cpu shows 100% weather the game is minimized or I'm play but it can easily handle winamp running and firefox as well, so i dont see a problem there.

Comment

Working...
                    X