Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im new to PC games? Can i have some tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laugh when you get the bejeezus blown out of you. I laugh a lot!

Comment

Don't fret over ignorant or selfish teammates.

Try the best you can to help your team, no matter if you're good or bad, you can help your team in many ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Entil'Zha View Post
        you can help your team in many ways.
        For example, I make a great decoy.

Comment

Originally posted by RocktardoTed View Post
          Laugh when you get the bejeezus blown out of you. I laugh a lot!
          This is good advice. Follow!

Originally posted by Entil'Zha View Post
          Try the best you can to help your team, no matter if you're good or bad, you can help your team in many ways.
          The role of Cannon fodder, for example, is what most people start with.

Comment

Play on 1 of our DFP-ServerĀ“s

Comment

Originally posted by BJHJNH View Post
              So what are mods? and how do i download them.
              That's awesome. Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the Unreal Tournament community.

A "mod" can be a game type, a custom vehicle, a custom weapon, or a tweak to a game type. (That's probably not a comprehensive list.) There are also custom, user-made maps. The previous UT's had thousands of custom maps.

Places to look for custom maps:

http://nalicity.beyondunreal.com/
              http://www.mapraider.com/
              http://www.unrealplayground.com

If you download a custom map or a mod, you'll need to add it to your UT3 game, which is as easy as unpacking the compressed map file and then moving its component files into various folders (folders for the map itself, for textures, etc.). Most maps have Readme's that tell you where to put what.

If you join a server that's playing a custom map or if a map ends and the server switches to a custom map that you don't have, your UT3 game should begin downloading it for you automatically, placing the file in a Cache folder. That also holds true for most game mods.

Comment

First off, even if you're getting your *** handed to you, just keep telling yourself that you're doing well. If you think otherwise then you'll probably end up discouraging yourself.

Mainly just relax. The WSAD is great if you're right-handed, the num-pad is good if you're left-handed.

Mouse tips: adding to thejinx. Based on her (I'm guessing) post, just find what feels more appropriate. Don't experiment, just sit down and don't worry about what you think you should be doing, just let your brain figure out how it wants to move the mouse.

Whichever you unconciously find yourself drawn to, the mouse sensitivity will probably need to be either increased to decreased to fit it.

Originally posted by thejinx View Post
                GL and welcome to PC gaming. You're probably never gonna go back.
                Thats right, now go kick some major ***!

Originally posted by BJHJNH View Post
                So what are mods? and how do i download them.
                Mods are simply modifications to the base game to change it in some what, shape, or form. I'd say check out the forum that has the word "mods" in the name--I don't remeber what it is, but its there--most mods come with instructions how to install them if they don't come with an installer.

Comment

Use mouse, keyboard, learn to use the dodge and double jump to evade incoming fire and get to places u normaly cant reach.
                  Play instant action A LOT and if you keep winning increase the botskill.
                  When bots are on godlike and u still keep winning then, but only then go play online

Comment

Originally posted by Nintakuhunter View Post
                    First off, even if you're getting your *** handed to you, just keep telling yourself that you're doing well. If you think otherwise then you'll probably end up discouraging yourself.

Mainly just relax. The WSAD is great if you're right-handed, the num-pad is good if you're left-handed.
                    I am left handed but I mouse with my right hand

Comment

Originally posted by peppybb View Post
                      Use mouse, keyboard, learn to use the dodge and double jump to evade incoming fire and get to places u normaly cant reach.
                      Play instant action A LOT and if you keep winning increase the botskill.
                      When bots are on godlike and u still keep winning then, but only then go play online
                      I have to disagree a bit with the last tip there. Bots play very differently from real players and getting up to the godlike level will take quite some time. If you only play against bots you will only learn to take down bots. Real people are a lot more unpredictable and tricky to deal with. IMHO it's best to mix it up a bit by playing against bots for a while first to get a good feel for the game (keep increasing difficulty as you get better or you'll not progress) and then start playing online to learn how humans move and act. Switch back and forth between online and local play against bots to hone your skills. But hey, everyone has a different opinion on what's the best approach. If you can find a good player that is willing to play 1on1 with you and show you some tricks that would probably be best.

And most importantly, expect to get compleeetely run over when you play online. Expect to get your *** handed to you. Expect to be embarrassed. We all went through it and while it sucks, it's a necessary step.

Comment

I'd say play the bots while you learn the basics of movement, weapons, map layout, power ups, etc, etc. Once you feel comfortable, join the lowest ping server that you find. Even if it doesn't have players you can monkey around in there and get a feel for it. It is a much different world playing the game online.

Feel free to buddy me in the game (Cham3l3on) and if we meet up (there is a 'follow' button that will allow you to go to a server I am in, but get my attention in the console so we can find a quiet server to play on), I can teach you the basics if you want to get into DM/TDM.

Comment

Originally posted by kaluro View Post
                          I am left handed but I mouse with my right hand
                          Same here, never learned otherwise.

Comment

I'm a lefty as well, using a righthand setup!

Comment

Working...
                            X