Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where is the "rocks crushes the paladin" map?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is the "rocks crushes the paladin" map?

Where is the map we saw in a trailer and also in an in-game movie? Where a paladin drove into a trap and rocks fell on top of it? It looked the same as Onyx Coast, but it looked much bigger..

That was WAR-OnxyCoast. The crushing rock feature was cut from the map though. I think it was originally used to showcase the intergration of Agiea PhysX in the game

Comment

ah that makes sense.. thnx! It looked a lot bigger on that movie.. but i still love Onyx Coast.. The bridge+levithian is great.

Comment

OnyxCoast has changed quite a bit since that awesome trailer...

The Paladin and the Cicada are gone
        The Bridge node no longer has a turret
        The two Prime nodes are now on the building roof instead of inside

Still a great map though - one of my favourites.

Comment

Another thing cut from the game? What a surprise.

Comment

Onyx coast looked awesome in the trailer. It's a shell of it's former self now.

Comment

Is it just me or was the hype bigger than the game itself? :/

Comment

Originally posted by Sterling View Post
                Onyx coast looked awesome in the trailer. It's a shell of it's former self now.
                Agreed. It looked like it was at least 10 times bigger in the trailer. Turns out the trailer showed the same area from about 10,000 angles.

The map in it's current state is awesome to be sure. It just could have been so much more

Comment

I also was a little dissappointed with OnyxCoast, because I hoped to see something like in E3 2006 trailer, but current one isn't bad either.

Comment

Originally posted by Chromatik View Post
                    Agreed. It looked like it was at least 10 times bigger in the trailer. Turns out the trailer showed the same area from about 10,000 angles.

The map in it's current state is awesome to be sure. It just could have been so much more

I think it was actually different in the trailer though. There's the archway the paladin went under, the base looked different, the nodes are inside, and on of the nodes looks different.

I'd also like to know what happened to the old voice actors from 2004. They were in that trailer. Did they get fired or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Vectorspace View Post
                      OnyxCoast has changed quite a bit since that awesome trailer...
                      The Bridge node no longer has a turret
                      the bridge node DOES have a turret.. a rocket turret to be exact.

Comment

Speaking of OnyxCoast, I need to test a few things with a strat I have... I would like to do a 1v10 (me being the one) and see if I can be stopped. If anyone is interested, please shoot me a tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Bersy View Post
                          Another thing cut from the game? What a surprise.
                          Heh yea... really lame and that's exactly what I was thinking yesterday when I played Onyx a few time before going bed. I was like: "Hmm, isn't there suppose to be a falling rock bridge in that map?!". I wonder if they kept it at least for Offline since it was too much for Online servers to handle or if it's because they are just lazy ********. Not as worse as the TONS of options from UT2004 missing but still..

Comment

Originally posted by BlackEyez View Post
                            Is it just me or was the hype bigger than the game itself? :/
                            It's like that for most games, but yes, it's especially true for UT3.

Comment

Let's compile a little list of changes to OnyxCoast:
                              • Target Painter designating targets for a submarine missile strike. I believe OnyxCoast would be that map. It has no side objectives, but the sub is still there.
                              • Cicada. Not many of those around... only seems to be in Torlan and Dusk. The fact that most Warfare maps are urban (with nasty blocking volumes) or indoors doesn't leave many opportunities for Cicadas and Raptors.
                              • Lots of terrain, or so it would appear.
                              • Collapsing rock bridge.
                              • Nodes properly shielded by the buildings (where the Levi and the Darkwalkers can't arbitrarily take them out and choke the map).
                              • Energy Turret. Switching to the Rocket Turret is probably an improvement, though. I never liked the simplistic point-and-click "layzur" gameplay the Energy Turrets offer anyway.
                              • SPMA.

I wonder if that cool map we saw in the promo vids was actually WAR-ColdHarbor.

Comment

Working...
                              X