No announcement yet.

An 'Official' Assault - no maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If they made it like VCTF was in 2k4, no official maps, but the gametype was there, that would be great. Everyone on the AS servers I played on detested the stock maps anyway, so letting it just be community based maps would work well.

Even though I haven't gotten the game yet (thanks UPS for borking that up) I too am disappointed to find out warfare is just reworked ONS. After all the hoopla of it being a mix, then nothing. Maybe it's like half the other stuff, it's there but they never "got to it" before release.

Comment

Can kismet adjust spawns in the editor? AS seems to me to be only separated from the others in spirit, not necessarily technology, It didn't get enough support from the community to deserve a category this time round from what I understand. Although I wouldn't be surprised if you could make a map which played like an AS map if you used kismet properly. Heck we may even see more of this breed, since kismet is more well thought out then the previous system...

I need this game >_< I want to mess with kismet so bad...

This is all speculation of course^^
      I don't know very much about UT3 level scripting at all, Although I have a good grasp of Unreal Script. From what I understand I don't see why this couldn't be done.

Comment

From what I've seen and heard, you can pretty much manipulate anything in the game. You could remove all the nodes out of a War map and setup kismet in a way so it runs exactly like an assault map.

Comment

Has anyone tried and acoumplished this yet?

Comment

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showth...assault&page=3

plz go here for further assault related content

Comment

Assault was great. Trial Maps Scorpionrace Hellbenderrace etc.

Hope a Mod will birng it back

Comment

Agreed 100%

There needs to be an

Assault
                Race
                Onslaught
                TAM\Freon
                Instagib

placeholders.

Comment

Originally posted by rhiridflaidd View Post
                  Agreed 100%

There needs to be an

Assault
                  Race
                  Onslaught
                  TAM\Freon
                  Instagib

placeholders.
                  Race doesn't need to be seperate from assault, Instagib is a mutator, Warfare is ONS, you jusy need to wait for player made maps and TAM is owned by some other people so I don't think Epic can just steal it.

Anyway, I agree that we need a "regulation" assault, there are about 3 variations being planned in these forums alone and some pretty stupid ideas being put into them that would ruin it. What we need is the foundations to build upon.

Comment

If Epic could implement the basic assaultmode (as mentioned without any maps), it would be more than just awesome!
                    Pls Epic! You saw that bringing back assault to UT2k4 was the right decission!

Comment

Most likely not gonna happen. I liked AS but I am pretty sure they saw it as not the best decision on their part, considering how few people played it ultimately.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultron View Post
                        Most likely not gonna happen. I liked AS but I am pretty sure they saw it as not the best decision on their part, considering how few people played it ultimately.
                        I don't agree, if you mean recently... yes, but there wern't a lot of NEW assault style maps that where really good, but in the beginning it was an awesome gametype that was played a lot. This however got overshadowed by the race and trails maps, even though they where good, a lot of people that played the original assault maps noticed the lack of new content and bailed the gametype. I'm not saying there wern't a lot of makeshift assault maps but most wern't really things Epic or a mod pack would destribute.

Comment

the few who could properly master the art of dodge-jumping unpredictable and knew the maps well really shined in 2k4 AS and put a lot of players from other gametypes off.
                          I saw several skilled clans (mi5 for example) leave the ladder very quickly when they discovered it isn't JUST about DM skills, assault does take quite a lot of learning in order to play well as a team.

In UT3 we wouldn't have that problem due to the removal of shield and dodge jump and hopefuly some more UT99 style maps. In other words, more TDM-friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by Khainegom View Post
                            Race doesn't need to be seperate from assault,
                            Hell yes it does! People say Trial maps 'killed' UT2004 Assault.

NO.

At least with Trial maps you can clearly see it's a TRIAL server, so you know what you're getting when you log in.

You had to look around every AS server for 10 minutes to find a non-race map. AND THEN leave that server again because the next map up was "HellbenderaceXXXCHAOSXXXv2b*l33tedition*"

Not that a good (GOOD) race map isn't fun every once and a while, but the overwhelmingly large number of over-played BAD race maps that are easily exploitable, which boil down to 30-minute campfests, was simply unacceptable.

Race killed Assault. Make 'em separate.

Comment

actually, you can't separate them, because they fall under the same game style.
                              Even though the race maps are with vehicles it still requires you to complete an objective, like assault.
                              there is no way to separate "racing maps" and a modder's "assault on foot" map unless the modder designates it, then you would still have race maps bleed into "assault" maps

Comment

Originally posted by Haengematte View Post
                                Assault was great. Trial Maps Scorpionrace Hellbenderrace etc.
                                Yeah, actual assault was great. Too bad everybody was just content to make a bunch of half-***** trial/race maps instead of doing some real assault mapping.

Comment

Working...
                                X