An 'Official' Assault - no maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An 'Official' Assault - no maps

This is not a request for a huge amount of work, we just need something to work with so we can build most of the content (the maps).

It's fair enough to let the community do a lot of the work, but I can see this becoming a complete mess when we see lots of attempts at converting Warfare into an AS mod, or at least several buggy mods.

If it is so like Warfare, can you not create an actual "OFFICIAL" assault mode ASAP to be released in a patch?

Obviously you don't need to design maps for it, let the community do that, but we really need something official to work with. I can't see a huge amount of effort required for simply making the seperate mode.

If you don't do this soon, what we are going to end up with is a huge mess of "attempted" AS mods (yes there's already several people considering it). Even if one of these mods is flawless, the others out there are going to confuse people.

Please could your developers dedicated some time to just create the mode, don't make maps for it we can do that. But we're not going to be able to attract map makers who delivered some of the classic maps if AS is simply a third-party mod and nothing more.

The game feels a lot more like UT99, but what I notice most is that I'm really missing AS.

Thankyou for your time in reading this Epic.

Nice idea, I think epic should consider this. An offical basic AS structure and code to start work on would be alot better than a third party one.

Comment

i was supprised they left it out again. Warefare has litterly no concepts of the assault mode they said it did, its basicly ONS revisited with better vechials, which is better the old ONS i might add, but still.... dunno how they could say its a mixed gametype of ONS and assault when the only thing that resembles the assault is attacking nodes, but old ONS had that anyway.
      Be nice if we could get someone to make a proper mod as apposed to a bunch of AS modes that only half work i suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Destini View Post
        It's fair enough to let the community do a lot of the work
        You think so?

Comment

Agreed. Warfare is just ONS with orbs and the occasional triggered event that does virtually nothing like in Avalanche. Hardly a mix of both worlds.

Comment

I don't see why they took it out because assault would have been pretty good on a console.

Comment

I think what should be done is that Epic releases just one Assault map (more would be better of course), but just one would be great as it would really explain everything and give foundations to start working on.

Comment

/me waits for UT3.5....

PS
                NA Competitive Assault community, www.drylobster.com Feel free to stop buy and show the love, site has been lonely lately.

Comment

bump.

The main issue for me when making As maps with warfare tools (if this is possible) it wont be a standalone gametype and they would be mixed up in server list. So if epic just release foundations that would solve this and allow for people to start creating. Then again another solution if by a miracle a group of skilled coders map makers join together and did it from scratch.

Maybe a good Idea would be if all people who have started to try make a AS mod or tinkered with the warfare tools to try make a As map could post here on what they are working on. Anything you have heard about as well, be it a rumour that someguy is going to make Assault for UT3 then post it.

I alreayd seen some threads on Assault mod already on this forum and tryed to bump em, but I can't help feel no big project is on its way to try save assault

Comment

Great idea!!

Comment

Actually, with Kismit you could probably make an Assault map with ease

Comment

I kinda got the idea from day one that WF would take very few aspects from AS.
                        Some of my best UT99 memories are from the mode and I really think it deserves it's place in UT.
                        They decided not to make it for UT3 since the UT2004 AS community was loyal but not huge. I was part of that community, and saw many a skilled players come to the mode and see just how great it was, only to leave because there wasn't enough competition.
                        The maps were definately a downfall, I do actually think RobotFactory put vehicles and turrets to very good use in AS, but AS-Fallencity was much more like the UT99 maps, much more focus on head to head combat, and thus, was many people's favourite.

Epic, give us back AS and we'll make maps to bring it to life again.

Comment

yeah so true, ut2004 assault was really good just missed good old competition. ut99 was really good too and had that extra something that got its community.

Personnally I prefered ut2004 style assault but that might be due to me playing it for alot longer. I feel most people felt ut2004 was linear before learning all the tricks you could achieve

anyway no AS discussion between ut99 and ut2004. Main topic is Bringing AS to UT3 and who is on board?

Comment

Assault was one of my favorite gametypes on 2k4. I was horribly disappointed - first by the annoucnement that it would be left out, and then by my discovery that warfare is NOTHING like assault.

I would appreciate it immensely, as would many many many others, if Epic tossed us an official Assault mode.

Comment

Assault:

In Ut99 it evolved into "Who can nail the rocket-jump exploit the fastest?"

In UT200X it was better, but still turned into **** by people that would have every inch of the maps memorized and could complete it before the opposition even got out of their spawn. Later on people created Hellbender race maps and all Assault was forgotten.

Now with UT3, Assault would be nice in the traditional form, but after seeing how easily set objectives can be exploited after a while it would quickly degrade into something nobody would want to play. And Warfare looks flexible enough to make a halfway decent Assault map anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X