Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just some tech info for 2008.. Your system will be obsolete?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just some tech info for 2008.. Your system will be obsolete?

Motherboards .....

will be able to support up to 4 video cards with PCI Express 2.0 YA ..... 4 Video Cards!!! You will get 16GS/s in a 16x configuration. Just too cool!!

Video Cards.....

Both ATI and Nvidia will support DX10.1 and shader model 4.1 which will be on top of their list. ATI states they will have a Quad GPU in a Crossfire Configuration.

Motherboard Memory.....

DDR 3 is comming for motherboards that will range for 800mhz to 1600mhz. Whew!!!!

Hard drives..........

Next Gen SATA 3 specs speeds will jump up to 6GB/s in 2009.

Just some info for some you hard core hardware users

The Times are a changin.....................FAST!!!!

Where are you getting this info?

I've never heard of 4xSLI before unless you're talking 2x2GPUs on a board. You'd be hardpressed to find a motherboard or a case that would fit 8 slots of space. (4 x 2 slots)

It's DX10.1, not 10.01, btw.

The SATA speed is only burst, btw. You'd never come within a mile of even the 3gb/sec rating that comes plastered on all the HDDs out now. It's really never actually achieved and it's false advertising if you ask me.

Comment

Yea would be nice to know where your getting your info.
      You say DDR3 is coming. Well its been here for a while now, but it still looks like it'll take a year or 2 to come down in price and up in speeds to match what DDR2 offers.
      HDD speeds are increasing, but there is a limit, and its well below 6GB/s. Burst speeds i suppose maybe thats possible, but nobody cares much about those. Sustained read/write speeds are what really matter. Those are increasing if you go for the latest big drives, although it doesnt seem to be filtering down to the mid/low sized ones yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Hickeroar View Post
        Where are you getting this info?
        In this months Maximum PC Magazine!!

Tech Review!!!

Its freakin Awesome!!!

More stuff!

Wide Screen Monitors Will Dominate the monitor market!

Say Goodbye to Windows 2000 Server! MS New Windows Home Server software looks poised to deliever some lust worthy features to power users.

Comment

Originally posted by UT3sysop View Post
          In this months Maximum PC Magazine!!

Tech Review!!!

Its freakin Awesome!!!

OMG!!

You sound like Mark Rein!!!!

j/k!!!!

Comment

I got that issue of Maximum PC too.

Solid state hard drives are getting more popular. Now RAM drives are available! Granted they're $4000, but it's a hard drive that runs on DDR400 sticks, up to 32gb.

Crazy stuff, I'll wait till I can afford it.

Comment

4 cards = the card companies multiplying their userbase.

Comment

Originally posted by LightHawkJ View Post
                I got that issue of Maximum PC too.

Solid state hard drives are getting more popular. Now RAM drives are available! Granted they're $4000, but it's a hard drive that runs on DDR400 sticks, up to 32gb.

Crazy stuff, I'll wait till I can afford it.
                hehhe I'll have to wait ill I can afford it also lol

Comment

Originally posted by UT3sysop View Post
                  Wide Screen Monitors Will Dominate the monitor market!
                  They already DO dominate the monitor market.

Also, these "This is the future" articles in mags have a bad habit of being dead wrong. I remember reading an article in PCGamer about the time UT99 came out talking about the PC in five years. Is was about the size of a CDRom drive and sported a 100mbit direct connection to the net along with loads of other horse-hockey predictions.

Hmmm, I'm on 10mbit and my PC is about the size of a barn.

Comment

Originally posted by Hickeroar View Post
                    They already DO dominate the monitor market.

Also, these "This is the future" articles in mags have a bad habit of being dead wrong. I remember reading an article in PCGamer about the time UT99 came out talking about the PC in five years. Is was about the size of a CDRom drive and sported a 100mbit direct connection to the net along with loads of other horse-hockey predictions.

Hmmm, I'm on 10mbit and my PC is about the size of a barn.
                    Until you can prove it wrong I think its safe to say its true!!

Comment

It will take several years of hardware evolution before our systems will come even REMOTELY close to being able to handle directx 10.1 with decent framerates.

Scroll the internet for a bit looking for "Directx 10.1" faqs and reviews.

Comment

You can get them external graphics things with 4 graphics card which are a bit like them external hard drive things.

They have some ribbon cable which goes into your pci x16 slots and they have their own seperate psu.

Hard drives are going solid state but i think they will be at practicle prices in a few years.

Comment

Your hardware is obsolete the minute it rolls of the assembly line... Much less by the time you buy it and install it. This is just par for the course and is something we both accept and look forward to as technophiles/tech junkies.

It is amazing how far and how fast consumer technology is progressing. Exponential growth is often the term associated with it. For some on this forum we've seen the actual evolution from something like the original Apple Mac and C64 to what we have now... Something the younger generation will automatically take for granted. They will never know a world without cell phones, blackberrys, iPods, dual or quad core CPUs, Xbox360s, etc. God, I feel old just thinking about it... And I am not that old

Comment

Imagine 12 8800 ultras in SLI mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Therealjoe View Post
                              Imagine 12 8800 ultras in SLI mode.
                              you would need your own nuclear power station to run them

Comment

Working...
                              X