Some parts of unreal 3 feel empty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PyroFiRE View Post
    Is it just me or being a diehard ut99 fan some parts of ut3 are dissapointing. The main one would be the lack of original maps and some of the weapons. For instance some of the best times on ut99 was on maps like CTF orbital,eternal caves,gauntlet,FACE (epic said themselves on the coll ed history of unreal dvd this was one of the top 5 CTF maps but wait... it didnt come with ut3l?) lavagiant and many more such as DM-Grinder, DM-Liandri etc etc. The maps were one of the things that made unreal what it was.

Also i hate the new sniper rifle, feels like it should be in counterstrke. Its too **** slow feels nothing like the one in ut99.

Some maps such as hydrobases and deck16 have translated beautifully. Some just didnt make the cut. Ive played ut99 since 2001 on a 56k modem (lol) and later 2003, (skipped 2k4) but theres something about 99 which keeps me playing to this day (slick gameplay, great level design and awesome multiplayer)

Cmon epic, bring back some of the classic feel to UT3
    I feel I should answer this and nip this whole UT99 thing in the bud.

I too played ut99, in fact I played it till my fingers bled and my girlfriend and friends at the time deserted me. I too spent many a night sniping on face and owning on deck16.

I recently opened ut99 for old times sake and do you know what, it just felt old, it was then I realised that the feelings were just nostalgia. UT3 is a much better game than ut99.

What annoys me is why people have to post all this negativity on a public forum, because all new players see is a forum full of complaints and thus dont bother getting the game.

Of course all the positive people are off playing the game so they haven't got time to leave comments. Apart from anything else, the mod usually deletes one off positive comments.

The game is done, they aren't going to change it so please if you don't like it just go and play ut99 or some other game because ut3 has a lot of fans that like the game the way it is.

Comment

Originally posted by kaluro View Post
      There is nĂ³ 'unreal 3' there is an 'unreal tournament 3' but unreal is a COMPLETELY different game than Unreal tournament.

There is an unreal and unreal 2, but NO unreal 3.
      There is an unreal tournament 99, unreal tournament 2003, unreal tournament 2004 and unreal tournament 3.

Please do get your facts straight and change the topic title please.
      Actually, there is no Unreal Tournament 99, but that's beside the point...

Comment

I play UT since 1999 including the 2003 and 2004 version. I LOVE UT3. The maps are wonderful and beautiful in every detail (the only one I miss since 1999 is the galleon: fantastic design!), the weapons feel just right (the sniper rifle is much better than in UT03-04; I like the bullet and disliked the energy ray) and I like the good old pace of the action. The vehicles are fantastic and I appreciate the skateboard idea. I really think this game is marvelous.

Comment

It's a step back enough as it is, don't make it feel anything more like UT99, I want something new.
          UT99 is old, it was awesome in it's time, it no longer is. Move on.

Comment

Ok so the gameplay is different, I can accept that. But does this mean we just have the crucify some of the best tried and tested maps from UT99? Some of the maps from UT3 suck too (DM-Carbonfire anyone) where as some I had my jaw open from start to end (DM-Deimos - yes i know some of you will ***** but that map owns)

Also bring back domination (the UT99 one) Some people will say it blows but it was just so fast and frantic there was something I loved about it.

Yes UT3 is different of course. But bring back some of the things that made UT99 so great and put them into 3 to make it even better. See where im getting at?

Comment

I was skeptical at first, but i tried the dodgejump mutator...seriously it improves the gameplay so much. Due to the increased gravity if ut3 it feels like a ut99 dodgejump would if there was such a thing, it just works imo and it doesnt make the game all floaty like ut2004. I guess Epic thought they wanted to tailor to the ut99 fans and then put vehicles in and doublejump for the 2004 fans, but you cant please everyone... I loved both the games and from playing ut3 i think it should have this dodge jump in...for me its made the gameplay 100% better.

Although its a nice game and the core gameplay is fun...they have taken one step forwards two steps back in many areas. The movement, it sucks and you should have made an evolution of the movement epic not trying to recreate ut99....thats what bad sequals do. Good ones go off on their own way. Maps have been uglified by someone...god knows whoever did it should get fired. All the blur etc is so overdone in most of the maps, and the colours completely drained it sucks. For example the robot factory Dm map, we saw it looking gorgeous in an early video....then in the final release what have they done? F***ed it up! Im very impressed with the robots and the layout yes, but the map is now almost completely black/gray and the lighting looks awful. What happened to the crisp, colourful map we saw before?

****** me off....

Comment

Originally posted by Lee_Shagwell View Post
                What annoys me is why people have to post all this negativity on a public forum, because all new players see is a forum full of complaints and thus dont bother getting the game.
                I know exactly what you mean. Iv'e wanted this game for years, and picked it up last week. But it is now sitting on a shelf going no where. Everbody says it's **** so I am still playing Bioshock...

Comment

Maybe you guys feel empty because you realized you wasted the best years of your life on videogames, while most people went out there and got real life experiences. Just a thought.

Comment

I think EPIC is done tweaking the "feel" of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Contra View Post
                      Maybe you guys feel empty because you realized you wasted the best years of your life on videogames, while most people went out there and got real life experiences. Just a thought.
                      I'd have to agree with that 100%. If you're a casual gamer UT3 is awesome, but if you play these games for a living then you're always going to be dissapointed.

Comment

Originally posted by [TT]BrundleFly View Post
                        I know exactly what you mean. Iv'e wanted this game for years, and picked it up last week. But it is now sitting on a shelf going no where. Everbody says it's **** so I am still playing Bioshock...
                        Come on! The people who complain are the only ones in the forums, everyone else is busy playing or living life. Don't listen to them, just have fun with it.

Comment

1) the server list is quite empty
                          2) the server filter is not available
                          3) scoreboard shows only the score?? What about ping, player activities and other stuff like in UT2004?

Looks like we pay some better graphics with all other great stuff removed from the predecessor game.
                          Got the Unreal Tournament series consolized?

Originally posted by LightHawkJ View Post
                          Come on! The people who complain are the only ones in the forums, everyone else is busy playing or living life. Don't listen to them, just have fun with it.
                          look into server browser. The player counts it shows me do not approve your assumption I would say.

Comment

Yes there are some things missed out and I'm expecting a big patch.

First impressions are that UT3 is much better than UT2k3 (didn't try 2k4) which just didn't feel like UT at all.. more Quake with UT weapons

On the original point, I'm GLAD they only re-made a few maps. In fact I'm gutted that they remade Deck16. I actually hate the map now! It was Deck Wh*res that loved it in 99 and the newbies too because there was always someone fighting someone else that you could come up upon and gank for free kills

As UT died, most of the servers were just Deck only or Face only, with everything else empty. It shows people like the levels, but if you wanted to play, you HAD to play these maps and be spammed or snipered for the millionth time.

I say bring us all new maps and lets not play UT with better graphics. I quit that 5 or 6 years ago.

*edit: Oh and the game was officially released yesterday? How dare their numbers be so low! :P

Comment

Originally posted by Lillien View Post
                              First impressions are that UT3 is much better than UT2k3 (didn't try 2k4) which just didn't feel like UT at all.. more Quake with UT weapons
                              Strange. The reason i love the gameplay of UT3 is because it seems more Quake-ish now. I cannot explain it - just the feel of it... Particularly the CTF now feels very Q3A-CTF to me (fast and furious!) but with all the good UT bits.

On a side note, it seems that i'm not the only one who's missing the classic Domination-Mode. Bring it back, Epic!
                              jj

PS: CTF-Vertebrae is excellent!

Comment

Quakeish? There was a time that if you said that you'd have been flailed alive on any UT fan forum

Comment

Working...
                                X