Some parts of unreal 3 feel empty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some parts of unreal 3 feel empty

Is it just me or being a diehard ut99 fan some parts of ut3 are dissapointing. The main one would be the lack of original maps and some of the weapons. For instance some of the best times on ut99 was on maps like CTF orbital,eternal caves,gauntlet,FACE (epic said themselves on the coll ed history of unreal dvd this was one of the top 5 CTF maps but wait... it didnt come with ut3l?) lavagiant and many more such as DM-Grinder, DM-Liandri etc etc. The maps were one of the things that made unreal what it was.

Also i hate the new sniper rifle, feels like it should be in counterstrke. Its too **** slow feels nothing like the one in ut99.

Some maps such as hydrobases and deck16 have translated beautifully. Some just didnt make the cut. Ive played ut99 since 2001 on a 56k modem (lol) and later 2003, (skipped 2k4) but theres something about 99 which keeps me playing to this day (slick gameplay, great level design and awesome multiplayer)

Cmon epic, bring back some of the classic feel to UT3

See, I think that they brought the feel of 99 back to this game.. I really do. They removed dodge jump, which makes it feel much more like the original.. they also brought back and improved graphically on some of the older maps, and honestly, the new maps are totally awesome! Epic has always done a fantastic job on maps and the textures that build them.

I think the reason that u3 feels empty to you, is the same as to me.. because they have raped it of all that was good about the previous versions, aside from the maps that is..
    GUI is garbage, weapons seem kinda lame.. the shock rifle especially, and it doesn't even take any advantage of dx10.. this game should have been released last year sometime IMO. And yet it still got released UNFINISHED..

I've always looked towards the likes of Epic for the latest and greatest FPS experience. They missed the mark with this game. No matter how much I try to coax myself to like it, I just can't.. and really, I never had to coax myself to like 99, or COD, or any other big name title.

Comment

I say bring back the ripper

There are a few things i miss in ut3 is the hidden areas/or features,maybe there are some in ut3 but i`v not spotted them yet.
      I also agree the sniper needs to be quicker on the shots.
      Also i missing the assault gameplay as well.
      I`m guessing they just gave us the backbone of the game,and now we have to wait on the modders.

Comment

The maps (quality and quantity) of UT99 was what made it so special. So many memorable maps right out of the box. I still play it today. The graphics are practically pacmanesque compared to UT3 but the gameplay is just as good today as it was back when it was released.
        There just arent that many original UT3 maps that are great. They are all good, but how many will be remade by fans when UT4 is out?
        Of course, the map makers out there will slowly build up a brilliant library of original and remade maps for us soon, which will ease my pain.

Comment

ah...bring back the ripper. That was so much fun. Blindfiring down a hallway and listening to the 'clink clink clink' hoping for 'HEADSHOT'. Yeah it was spammy but it was fun...and it was about the only way I was gonna get a kill against the better players

I think nostalgia is part of what is causing there to be an 'empty' feeling at times. The original UT just happened to come out at a time where it's only real competition was Quake. The market just wasn't saturated with shooters yet. Unfortunately I think if there was to be a remake of UT99 with just better graphics it would feel sorta meh.

I've been giving this some thought and I think part of what has diminished the 'feel' of some of the maps is the improvement in graphics. It seems counter intuitive but I think there's something to it. In '99 you had pretty much just basic geometry with basic textures. This forced the mapper to make something that had good flow. Now with 3d graphics what they are you have all kinds of decoration that make the maps feel 'cramped' or like you are always running into (or will run into) stuff. In ut99 you had (for the most part) clean lines of fire. Now you've got decorations and architecture all over the place. Not to say that's bad but it's different.

In a sense, the maps were 'simple'. But some of them still sucked. Peak, galleon, I'm looking at you.

But don't forget...some things are better now than they were in '99. Cheating for one. It was hideous in '99. Also we have this forum to complain about every last item. I'm not sure if there was a forum back then but there was a usenet newsgroup and it was filled with the same sort of whining that we hear now.

But bring back the original domination...that was too fun and underrated. Halo seems to have gotten that right with king of the hill/krazy king. (and a big pffft to all those who will hate on me for Halo3...it's a fun but *different* type of game).

Comment

Originally posted by FragMagnet View Post
            ah...bring back the ripper. That was so much fun. Blindfiring down a hallway and listening to the 'clink clink clink' hoping for 'HEADSHOT'. Yeah it was spammy but it was fun...and it was about the only way I was gonna get a kill against the better players

I think nostalgia is part of what is causing there to be an 'empty' feeling at times. The original UT just happened to come out at a time where it's only real competition was Quake. The market just wasn't saturated with shooters yet. Unfortunately I think if there was to be a remake of UT99 with just better graphics it would feel sorta meh.

I've been giving this some thought and I think part of what has diminished the 'feel' of some of the maps is the improvement in graphics. It seems counter intuitive but I think there's something to it. In '99 you had pretty much just basic geometry with basic textures. This forced the mapper to make something that had good flow. Now with 3d graphics what they are you have all kinds of decoration that make the maps feel 'cramped' or like you are always running into (or will run into) stuff. In ut99 you had (for the most part) clean lines of fire. Now you've got decorations and architecture all over the place. Not to say that's bad but it's different.

In a sense, the maps were 'simple'. But some of them still sucked. Peak, galleon, I'm looking at you.

But don't forget...some things are better now than they were in '99. Cheating for one. It was hideous in '99. Also we have this forum to complain about every last item. I'm not sure if there was a forum back then but there was a usenet newsgroup and it was filled with the same sort of whining that we hear now.

But bring back the original domination...that was too fun and underrated. Halo seems to have gotten that right with king of the hill/krazy king. (and a big pffft to all those who will hate on me for Halo3...it's a fun but *different* type of game).
            Domination was sick.

If they release it on an expansion pack, it better be free. I'd hate to know I paid full price for an incomplete game.

Comment

I thought Warefare was going to be something else. It is an enhanced onslaught.
              We need smaller simpler maps but larger maps as well. Face is that near perfect simple map, its just needed. I'll be stomping on the editor tho and see whats fun...

Comment

This is kinda like the UT2003 release. Way too limited.

Comment

Originally posted by Fartingbob View Post
                  The maps (quality and quantity) of UT99 was what made it so special. So many memorable maps right out of the box. I still play it today. The graphics are practically pacmanesque compared to UT3 but the gameplay is just as good today as it was back when it was released.
                  There just arent that many original UT3 maps that are great. They are all good, but how many will be remade by fans when UT4 is out?
                  Of course, the map makers out there will slowly build up a brilliant library of original and remade maps for us soon, which will ease my pain.
                  Everyone keeps saying that the community is oh so great, the modders oh so dedicated.. But will they? Will they really?

Comment

Are you crazy?! The sniper was way too overpowered in UT99. It's even a little too powerful to me in UT3. 60 intead of 70 would be better.

There is so many things Epic said that haven't done. Lying studio of sh*t. They should have released for christmas instead with 1.0 being like how 1.1 final will be.

I also don't know who were their beta tester. They are as worse as my mom on a PC.

Comment

Originally posted by sKr1p7k1dd View Post
                      Domination was sick.

If they release it on an expansion pack, it better be free. I'd hate to know I paid full price for an incomplete game.
                      NEWSFLASH:

YOU DID PAY FULL PRICE FOR AN INCOMPLETE GAME.

People in this forum can back whoever they want in a corner and call them a whiner or a noob.. it doesn't change the fact that this game was released incomplete. And I'm not talkin bugs or glitches that a new game with have, I mean not finished.. in many many aspects which can't be denied. So ya, you did purchase an incomplete game.. like all the rest of us..

sad really to see what epic made of this series.

Comment

Originally posted by Kardinal View Post
                        Everyone keeps saying that the community is oh so great, the modders oh so dedicated.. But will they? Will they really?
                        Of course they will.
                        Many modders love the challenge also prob want to be the first to bring there mod out,on the new engine.
                        Also ut has a big following for map makers and mod makers,so they will follow where everyone else has gone tbh.

Comment

There is 'unreal 3' there is an 'unreal tournament 3' but unreal is a COMPLETELY different game than Unreal tournament.

There is an unreal and unreal 2, but NO unreal 3.
                          There is an unreal tournament, unreal tournament 2003, unreal tournament 2004 and unreal tournament 3.

Please do get your facts straight and change the topic title please.

Comment

Originally posted by kaluro View Post
                            There is 'unreal 3' there is an 'unreal tournament 3' but unreal is a COMPLETELY different game than Unreal tournament.

There is an unreal and unreal 2, but NO unreal 3.
                            There is an unreal tournament 99, unreal tournament 2003, unreal tournament 2004 and unreal tournament 3.

Please do get your facts straight and change the topic title please.
                            Do you have to be so pedantic? It's not like anyone would misunderstand the topic title.

Comment

An effort should always be put into avoiding cunfusion in written language.
                              People should be **** thankful when others are nice enough to take time and correct them, instead of taking it as an insult.

Comment

Working...
                              X