I need to make a decision...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need to make a decision...

So I play UT3 at 3 for texture detail, and 4 for world detail. Anyway, with this I get an average of around...30 fps. I'm looking into getting some better RAM, to be more specific, the kind right here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220144.

Anyway, im not too informed about what part does what on a pc, so can anyone tell me if better RAM improves framerates, and makes the game run generally smoother? And if it doesn't exactly, what can I get to make the game run smoother? Thanks a lot, and answers are appreciated .

Originally posted by Hizuko View Post
    So I play UT3 at 3 for texture detail, and 4 for world detail. Anyway, with this I get an average of around...30 fps. I'm looking into getting some better RAM, to be more specific, the kind right here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220144.

Anyway, im not too informed about what part does what on a pc, so can anyone tell me if better RAM improves framerates, and makes the game run generally smoother? And if it doesn't exactly, what can I get to make the game run smoother? Thanks a lot, and answers are appreciated .
    More RAM can help if you don't have enough to run the game (or barely have enough). I would say you shouldn't need any more than 2gb of RAM to play UT3 without any hiccups. I might note that the RAM you were looking at on Newegg is sold out at the moment.

Also, RAM isn't the only thing that plays a part in framerate. The processor and video card you're using also play a major role. If you could tell us what processor and video card you have we can give you more information. One last thing, it sounds like you aren't too computer savvy (no offense) just know that there's several different kinds of RAM and depending on what motherboard you have, DDR2 may not be supported by your motherboard. I know it's cheaper than the other kinds of RAM but you should really check into that before you start buying parts. It might be better to let someone who knows more about computers purchase and install your RAM for you.

Comment

If you want a better framerate I dont think RAM is your first worry. Look into the upgrade solutions for your graphics card + CPU.

Comment

I have an 8600 GT video card and a dual core 2.1ghz processor. Also, is it just me that's getting long loading times? By long I mean around 15-20 seconds, longer than the demo was.

Comment

Originally posted by Hizuko View Post
          I have an 8600 GT video card and a dual core 2.1ghz processor. Also, is it just me that's getting long loading times? By long I mean around 15-20 seconds, longer than the demo was.
          Using vista?

If so, vista 32bit supports up to 2 gigs ram anything more then that will not be supported and wasted. Vista 64bit utilizes 4 gigs of ram.

Your system will always show slightly less due to overhead.

Comment

Originally posted by msny View Post
            Using vista?

If so, vista 32bit supports up to 2 gigs ram anything more then that will not be supported and wasted. Vista 64bit utilizes 4 gigs of ram.

Your system will always show slightly less due to overhead.
            My Windows Vista Premium 32-bit recognises and supports my 3GB of RAM...

Comment

Kick Windows Vista away and go back to XP. Vista eats up your resources more than any other OS. Period.

Comment

The manual for your motherboard will give you a list of the types and amount of RAM that it supports, e.g. it will say that it supports 2GB of PC 6400 or whatever, I haven't seen any benchmarks but as others have said, the CPU and the Graphics card usually have a bigger effect on gaming performance.

Comment

World detail is a major killer for UT, i turned mine to 1/2 and i gained a whole load of fps (textures is on 4 on a 6800gt and amd opteron 146 @ 2.8ghz with 2gig of ram on xp)

Comment

Originally posted by Number1SuperGuy View Post
                    More RAM can help if you don't have enough to run the game (or barely have enough). I would say you shouldn't need any more than 2gb of RAM to play UT3 without any hiccups. I might note that the RAM you were looking at on Newegg is sold out at the moment.
                    I dare you saying that to a vista user.

Comment

I'm playing it on XP with 2 GB of PC 6400 and everything maxed 5/5 @1280 x 1024 and I ran a test before with a CTF botmatch and it was only using about 80% of the RAM (1.6 GB) it might be a different story at higher resolutions though.

Comment

Originally posted by Aled View Post
                        My Windows Vista Premium 32-bit recognises and supports my 3GB of RAM...
                        It reads it, but can't utilize it.

32bit OS is capped at 2.8GB onboard memory (RAM and GPU mem) afaik.

Comment

Working...
                        X