Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why isn't Midway doing more to market this?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UndeadRoadkill View Post
    I don't know what you really expect to come of this thread, who will post here who is privy to the inside details and is also allowed to talk about it publicly?
    Dude the same can be said for 80% of the topics on this forum. I don't expect that anything will necessarily happen, I just want to talk about it openly with other UT gamers who have been wondering the same thing. Nothing more nor less ... it is just something I want to discuss. Who knows who will post here or who is reading it ... anyway it is already a very interesting discussion we have going on.

Comment

Probably because the game doesn't even run for like half of the people that purchased it, and of the remaining ones that can actually run it, they say it's buggy as **** and practically unplayable. Same goes for Gears of War, despite more than meeting the minimum system requirements, the games are no more than a cool looking box on the desk at the moment.

Supposedly both games have major patches coming out to fix a lot of issues, but since they likely don't want tons of bad publicity, which they deserve, they're opting not to compound (or admit) the problem by wh0ring up advertisements and then being inundated with a bunch of ****** off people like myself who spent in excess of $100 for both games and neither one of them get past a loading screen.

Comment

Once the PS3 version comes out, they probably start advertising it on TV because they want people to know it's on both PC and PS3.(meaning they make it saying available for PC and PS3)

Comment

Probably because the game doesn't even run for like half of the people that purchased it, and of the remaining ones that can actually run it, they say it's buggy as **** and practically unplayable.
          Wow, I must be really lucky then! I don't have any problem playing UT3 so far (well, one minor glitch where I had to input the CD key a second time). This game has probably a couple more problems than the most games, but remember: people who don't have a problem with this game, usually don't post here. So you get a skewed picture reading only these forums.

And yes, I know that there are enough issues that need Epic's attention ... but don't give me this '50% can't run it, other half thinks it's unplayable'-****.

Comment

Originally posted by AnubanUT2 View Post

I just hate to see the PC version (THE REAL VERSION ... at least that is how it used to be) getting dissed and receiving ZERO attention while once it hits the PS3 and like I said really the 360 (since that is where the greatest opporotunity to make revenue lies given the greater number of consoles that are immediately UT3 capable ... no upgrades to go through like on the PC) there will be commercials but only for the console version. The PC version will still not get the spotlight to itself. It will have to settle for "Also available on ..." and to me that bites.
            Yeah, but can you remember EVER seeing a TV commercial for a PC game? I can't, it's all stuff that is available on multiple platforms. I'd be more concerned with the lack of niche advertising, like displays in game stores, magazine ads, etc.

It sucks that PC gaming (being clearly and obviously superior to other platforms!) doesn't get the most attention, but it's that way with everything, Music, movies, etc. The money goes into the thing that returns that money, the commercial product, the lowest common denominator. The underground, the thing made for the love of it all, needs to survive on support of the smaller group of people who really love it. It's often too involved or too inaccessible for the bauble-headed masses.

Comment

The biggest problem is that Midway has a limited marketing-budget ... so they have to decide which version gets the focus.
              I'm pretty sure that the console-versions are going to get a bigger budget, because in the end they've got the biggest audience.
              Companies always spend money when it is more likely their investment will be returned ... and Midway certainly isn't Microsoft/Sony so they can't afford to waste a single penny.

(and when all is said and done ... UT is a niche game with very limited appeal)

Comment

Yeah, but can you remember EVER seeing a TV commercial for a PC game? I can't, it's all stuff that is available on multiple platforms. .
                Um does WoW sound familiar to you? Lots of commercials have been made for that PC ONLY game. So sorry but that argument does not work.

Edit: And please don't try and change your statement to "I meant PC FPS games ..." the facts are the facts ... this game was made HUGE on the PC .. hell UT04 was named multiplayer GoTY for the PC so c'mon if any game deserves to have commercials it is the UT franchise and not BA51 ... give me a break Midway. But yeah what will happen is that the PC version will go without any mention until the PS3 version is ready and then they can say also on the PC.

Comment

Um does WoW sound familiar to you? Lots of commercials have been made for that PC ONLY game. So sorry but that argument does not work.
                  I don't remember any of those.

You can't seriously be comparing a completely different type of game with a completely different BUSINESS MODEL to this situation, can you? I'm sorry, but your argument doesn't work.

EDIT to your EDIT:

Edit: And please don't try and change your statement to "I meant PC FPS games ..." the facts are the facts ... this game was made HUGE on the PC .. hell UT04 was named multiplayer GoTY for the PC so c'mon if any game deserves to have commercials it is the UT franchise and not BA51 ... give me a break Midway. But yeah what will happen is that the PC version will go without any mention until the PS3 version is ready and then they can say also on the PC.
                  WoW follows a different business model than a game like UT. You buy UT once, that's it. WoW is subscription-based, it's generating revenue for as long as it's active. It's continued success gives them the money to do a TV commercial, and what's more, they need to keep people playing to keep making money. A game you buy once for fifty bucks, which sells only to a smaller market of PC gamers isn't going to make those kinds of numbers.

Comment

maybe they dont care much about this game?

Comment

Originally posted by JaFO View Post
                      The biggest problem is that Midway has a limited marketing-budget ... so they have to decide which version gets the focus.
                      I'm pretty sure that the console-versions are going to get a bigger budget, because in the end they've got the biggest audience.
                      Companies always spend money when it is more likely their investment will be returned ... and Midway certainly isn't Microsoft/Sony so they can't afford to waste a single penny.

(and when all is said and done ... UT is a niche game with very limited appeal)
                      If that is the case then why spend any money on that **** game BA51 ... if the budget is so tight then you usually spend money on proven IP ... correct me if I am wrong but the UT series has done MUCH better than the Area 51 IP. Maybe you all forget but Area 51 was a dud on the Xbox ... a huge dude. UT03 for all of the faults people like to say it has (to me it is a great game ... especially the UI) sold more copies on the PC by far than A51 for the Xbox. So to me there is another reason behind this ... more than likely it really has to do with the whole console vs pc thing. Sad to say but this really looks to me like a shift is occurring.

Anyway I hope whenever the commercials come out they are good and not just CGI showcases. The game should be shown being played so people can see the real graphics ... they easily stand up to the graphics of CoD4 and Timeshift (especially Timeshift) and they show actual gameplay in the commercials for those games. I really am curious and a bit anxious to see how the UT commercials turn out.

Comment

I don't remember any of those.

You can't seriously be comparing a completely different type of game with a completely different BUSINESS MODEL to this situation, can you? I'm sorry, but your argument doesn't work.

EDIT to your EDIT:

WoW follows a different business model than a game like UT. You buy UT once, that's it. WoW is subscription-based, it's generating revenue for as long as it's active. It's continued success gives them the money to do a TV commercial, and what's more, they need to keep people playing to keep making money. A game you buy once for fifty bucks, which sells only to a smaller market of PC gamers isn't going to make those kinds of numbers.
                        Doesn't matter man ... the issue is that it is a PC game ... and that is what we are talking about and that definitely answered your first question. But I knew you would say that. Man people are so predictable. But try this then ... Doom 3 when it first came out. Now there you have it. So again I ask why is Midway doing this when this has become the second biggest PC FPS IP behind only HL2 when it comes to selling loads of copies and getting tons of awards.

Edit: This is what you asked originally ... "Yeah, but can you remember EVER seeing a TV commercial for a PC game?" Now I answered your very simple and direct question ... that had NO qualifiers to it at the time. Now you want to add a qualifier ... please man ... don't make me laugh.

But I am not going to get into an argument over this ... you can if you want to but it won't be with me because I don't argue with people who make up conditions as they go along.

Comment

i've been to the university today and 2rows behind me some were talking about games and this is how the conversation was like:
                          student1: i'm wondering if UT3 will be any good, i played all the last parts.
                          student2: is it out yet?
                          student1: i don't know, i guess we would've heard about it, so probably not.
                          student2: true...well i don't care, i'm playing crysis atm.

Comment

I remember WoW ads after it had taken off and had millions of players. Not when it was first released (apart from game store ads and mags). UT3 recieved no fanfare in the UK. I work at a game store and we were advertising need for speed, guitar hero, cod4, assasins creed, mass effect, mario and high school musical (!). UT3 didnt even get a "coming soon" dummy box until the day before release.

In the UK at least it released in a very crowded week for games, so it was always going to be dwarfed by console game adverts, but really its rediculous how little marketing its gotten so far. Unreal tournament is one of the most well known PC franchises and as Epic games themsleves say "we have the luxury of not having to rush out games until they are ready", but apparently midway see no need to tell anyone when they are actually ready.

Comment

They know that they dont have to maket a product thats already very popular with PC gamers.

Comment

Doesn't matter man ... the issue is that it is a PC game ... and that is what we are talking about and that definitely answered your first question. But I knew you would say that. Man people are so predictable. But try this then ... Doom 3 when it first came out. Now there you have it. So again I ask why is Midway doing this when this has become the second biggest PC FPS IP behind only HL2 when it comes to selling loads of copies and getting tons of awards.
                                It's the truth of the matter, and you know it. Don't call people predictable because they give a correct answer.

Comment

Working...
                                X