Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Epic has shunned RCtrl jump and gave us "Turn Left/Right" buttons? GASP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epic has shunned RCtrl jump and gave us "Turn Left/Right" buttons? GASP!

So I've found solace in the fact that every UT game until now had my favorite default controls, arrowkeys and r-ctrl for jump. When I felt like it I threw crouch onto numpad-0, and all my controls were in one little section. I somehow lack the ability to play properly with wasd and space (jumping with a thumb is best done on a gamepad), so the pinky on ctrl option was great for me. I tend to jump a lot, so this is important.

So SOMETHING happened between the development of UT2004 and now. I don't know if it's Gears or Championship that changed their design philosophy, but this is one of the many little annoyances of mainstream games that has somehow slithered into my beloved UT. Yes, I can play it properly, but I had to change the controls manually. Am I the only one who is deeply saddened by this sin against keyboards, or am I just a rebel-by-nature?

What's so bad about setting the keyboard commands manually? I mean I have to do it all the time for every game I get because I prefer ESDF over WASD

Comment

ever hear of configure controls?

Comment

use WSAD and jump with left shift using your pinky.

Comment

Use WSAD and jump with SPACEBAR using your thumb!

Comment

I already stated that I CAN'T use WASD and space. It's weird, plus left ctrl isn't on the same level as WASD, so it's even more awkward. I've avoided buying keyboards because of the key layout being unplayable for me. Maybe I'm just a freak of nature, but I sure didn't have to reconfig BEFORE. Next patch, this might be a good idea. Just stick a button on the config menu that says "UT Classic Controls" or something.

Comment

You're not a freak of nature, there are a lot of people who can't use wasd and prefer using the arrow keys, right control to jump etc.: left handed people.

The defaults in ut3 don't work for left handed people, whereas those in ut2004 did.

I mean, with two key bind per action there is more than enough room to provide default controls suited both to left and right handed people.
              Do anyone ever use the turn left/turn right keys anyway?

It's no big deal to change it but slightly annoying, especially since I just use defaults for almost everything else including mouse sensitivity.

Comment

Im right handed and ive always used the arrow keys for movement, in every game. I dont see the advantage in WASD and the arrow keys are easier to find without looking at the keyboard.
                However, changing the controls isnt a big deal, i like to customise it a fair bit anyway.

Comment

Working...
                X