Well, I beat the single player...[SPOILER]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How's this for a single player thing...
    • All weapons, powerups, ammo pickups and vehicles are locked to your enemies.
    • You can buy the unlock codes to be able to pick them up.
    • You can buy the codes with $$ won in missions.
    • Some missions give free bonus codes.
    • You know in advance which mission gives which reward.
    • At any time, you have a choice between a handful missions.

Originally posted by Obscurite View Post
    My prediction is that they are gonna pull a ut2003/ut2004 move and release another volume, twice the size of ut3, and be like "yo, this is what we could have done if we were given more time".
    What happened to "when it's done"?

Comment

Originally posted by Xyx View Post
      How's this for a single player thing...
      • All weapons, powerups, ammo pickups and vehicles are locked to your enemies.
      • You can buy the unlock codes to be able to pick them up.
      • You can buy the codes with $$ won in missions.
      • Some missions give free bonus codes.
      • You know in advance which mission gives which reward.
      • At any time, you have a choice between a handful missions.
      Naaah...too user interactive. Besides...it would look too much like a tournament. I mean...before you know it, someone might get immersed in the campaign?

Originally posted by Xyx
      What happened to "when it's done"?
      Marketing, obviously. My guess is things went a bit like this.

Midway: so...are you ready for release yet?
      Epic: hold your horses, guys. We'll release when it's done.
      Midway: sure...you could do that....Or...you could release it as a half-***** product with fancy graphics, and use the community's feedback to model the game like you really want it to make.
      Epic: erm...I don't think they'll like that. Our fans are loyal, trusting, friendly and...
      UT community: *interrupts* WAAAAAAHHHH!!! We want teh demo naaawww!!!! All this waiting is making me gheeeeyyyy!!!
      Epic: ...on the other hand, perhaps they won't mind that much if we release the game a bit earlier than we wanted.
      Midway:

Back on-topic: I finished the single player campaign as well. Here's the continuation of yesterday's events:

After a couple more random matches, I was suddenly transported (for no reason whatsoever) to some spaceship where I had to fight some TDM.
      Oops...sorry: where I had to disable some respawn pads.

Apparently, that ended a war that was somehow in progress at the same time. Hey, I even played a crucial part in that war...apparently.

Not that it gets me any credit or something. My team pretty much has to steal a ship to time vortex all the way to another part of the universe so I can kill one person.

V (I think...all the chapters seem a bit alike)
      Yeey...more random matches. Okay: Necris themed ones, but otherwise no different. And for even more unknown reasons, it's against the law to chase people who start a war...Wait, skip that. It's not unlike the real world, actually. Does that make this game controversial, or is the wink to the Iraqi war just accidental?

Anyway...after a while, there's a cutscene showcasing Malcolm having a phone call with a Necris. You could call that plot if he actually had a reason for doing it. Or if you had any possibility of knowing about it, for that matter. But you don't, so you just ignore your sister when she smells a trap from half a galaxy away.
      It's actually a balanced game for a change! Why your character keeps talking smack every effing frag is beyond me. Is that supposed to be a handicap when listening to audio cues or something?

So...you kill her. Twenty times. And because your character doesn't trust plasma, rockets or bullets to actually kill someone, he whacks her with his rocket launcher. No, she isn't respawning soon. I might have actually felt someone for the victory if I actually cared about him. But I heard there was this cliffhanger thingy, and the movie quality was good, so I kept on watching.
      Then some other dudes show up. They have killed your sister (for no reason whatsoever). And despite the fact that you've pretty much rampaged over half their planet*, those dudes just stand around you a bit instead of...you know...killing you at first chance.
      Then your character suddenly decides that Malcolm is after all this because he is "the only one who knew about our plans". In other words: our fellow suddenly gets a shock of clairvoyance. Either that, or he's too dumb to come up with ideas like
      A. a war (unreal-franchised or not) usually gets noticed
      B. Akasha just "might" have called some guards
      C. Othello and Bishop have equally good reasons for betrayal (read: absolutely none whatsoever)
      D. Malcolm is on the other end of the galaxy and has "no intel on the terrain"

Too bad the movie ended as the fight started. I really hoped I would see him die.

*as in: screwed with their respawn pads, sabotaged their Fancy Latrine Generators and wrecked some power cores

Comment

Working...
      X