Fluff’s guide to starting a productive clan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fluff’s guide to starting a productive clan

With the release of the newest UT, i see lots of posts asking about clans.

In NO way is this gonna cover all the experiences or bases, but might give you folks thinking about starting a clan some ideas!

With that disclaimer, i give you:

Fluff’s guide to a productive clan

First off, these are my opinions, they may or may not work for you. Because everyone is different, you will experience a clan unique to the folks in it.

Here’s what you’ll want/need to start off your clan (I’ll expound later on some):

A. People with the same or like attitude. This is someone’s commitment to what you’re trying to accomplish. One or two people doing all the work or effort is usually a sure fire way to implode.

B. A forum for your clan only. You’ll need one where not only your clan, but potential members and guests can come and get to know you.

C. A dedicated server. This will most likely be the hardest thing to procure, but I can offer some suggestions.

Now to offer some “tips” that I’ve learned over the years in gaming clans.

PEOPLE

1. Decide up front what kind of clan you want to have. Will you specialize in a certain game or style? Will you compete against other clans? If so, will you want to compete on gaming “ladders” or compete in matches your folks set up?

2. Leadership. Decide early on who your leader(s) , clan officers, etc... are going to be. But DON’T rush into it. Someone who volunteers to do a function for your clan, then discovers they don’t have the time, wastes your time as well.

3. Have an idea or “mission statement” of what you want to be as a clan…THEN STICK TO IT! Many clans start off well in one thing, switch over to another once things look good, and then end up being less than what they were in the beginning. People like security in what they do… a clan that gets together to be a TDM clan, then decides after a few losses to be another game type clan is just asking for implosion or worse.

4. THIS IS THE BIG ONE UNDER “PEOPLE!”
    DO NOT, under any circumstances, allow any one individual to have all “the eggs in one basket.” Although it’s impossible to for-see, any one person who can destroy your clan by simply leaving, just might. No one wants to wake up one morning to hear that “Joe-Blow” got mad last night and took his server and left. There has to be a level of trust in folks, but make sure you have a “plan B” just in case that something like that happens.

FORUM

This is the easiest part of the whole thing. I suggest you do an Internet search for "free forum hosting" and create a simple forum.

Once your clan "takes off," you can get a domain name and other hosting things that will cost you bucks.

But as a start-up, free hosting is the way to go.

These folks have already offered one to folks here, check em out!

http://www.unrealtournament3forum.com/

SERVER(S)

This is a hard initial choice, but it’s also one of the most satisfying.

Understand there are TWO types of hosted servers, public and private. Public ones will show up in the master server browser, but you pay almost TWICE the cost for this. Private servers are not in the server browser, are pass worded, and except for the advertising of the server, are usually exactly like what you would pay for a public server…just cheaper.

I would suggest you figure out how many folks you want in your server at one time (10 is a good starting number with room to grow) and then see what you can get a private server for. Many server hosting company’s are offering extras with your rental, like web space and voice communication programs.

Understand that as your clan grows, you can add to the player capacity of your server, or make a private one a public one thru your host.

Server Pitfalls

Here’s what you will need to watch for in renting a server:

1. Location, location, location! LOL If the majority of your clan is in one part of the nation; try to rent a server close to that location. No one enjoys online gaming when their ping makes them “frag-bait.”

2. Customer service. Servers crash all the time. You want to make sure the folks you rent from are not only knowledgeable about how to fix problems, but are available almost 24/7 to fix your problems. You don’t want to find out that there is no weekend customer support when you have a clan match scheduled for Saturday!

3. THIS ONE”S IMPORTANT! Many server hosts DO NOT allow you full access to the .ini or start up scripts for servers. Some do not even allow you the ability to re-start a server that has crashed. Do your homework on this one…you need to make sure that you have FULL access to your server, and not that you have to e-mail some dude to get a mutator added to a command line “in a few days.”

4. Lastly, re-directs. You do NOT want your server to have to “push” custom content to the people playing on it…you want that stuff coming from another server where those files are uploaded by you via FTP. Some companies include free re-direct access servers, some charge around $5.00 a month for the service…either way if you think you are EVER going to have more maps, skins or whatever than the game came with, a re-direct is a must have deal for your clan!

Well, that’s it at the moment; good luck, have fun and if I didn’t answer any questions fully… post it here!

Originally posted by .:vVv:.Fluffy View Post
    With the release of the newest UT, i see lots of posts asking about clans.

In NO way is this gonna cover all the experiences or bases, but might give you folks thinking about starting a clan some ideas!

With that disclaimer, i give you:

Fluff’s guide to a productive clan

First off, these are my opinions, they may or may not work for you. Because everyone is different, you will experience a clan unique to the folks in it.

Here’s what you’ll want/need to start off your clan (I’ll expound later on some):

A. People with the same or like attitude. This is someone’s commitment to what you’re trying to accomplish. One or two people doing all the work or effort is usually a sure fire way to implode.

B. A forum for your clan only. You’ll need one where not only your clan, but potential members and guests can come and get to know you.

C. A dedicated server. This will most likely be the hardest thing to procure, but I can offer some suggestions.

Now to offer some “tips” that I’ve learned over the years in gaming clans.

PEOPLE

1. Decide up front what kind of clan you want to have. Will you specialize in a certain game or style? Will you compete against other clans? If so, will you want to compete on gaming “ladders” or compete in matches your folks set up?

2. Leadership. Decide early on who your leader(s) , clan officers, etc... are going to be. But DON’T rush into it. Someone who volunteers to do a function for your clan, then discovers they don’t have the time, wastes your time as well.

3. Have an idea or “mission statement” of what you want to be as a clan…THEN STICK TO IT! Many clans start off well in one thing, switch over to another once things look good, and then end up being less than what they were in the beginning. People like security in what they do… a clan that gets together to be a TDM clan, then decides after a few losses to be another game type clan is just asking for implosion or worse.

4. THIS IS THE BIG ONE UNDER “PEOPLE!”
    DO NOT, under any circumstances, allow any one individual to have all “the eggs in one basket.” Although it’s impossible to for-see, any one person who can destroy your clan by simply leaving, just might. No one wants to wake up one morning to hear that “Joe-Blow” got mad last night and took his server and left. There has to be a level of trust in folks, but make sure you have a “plan B” just in case that something like that happens.

FORUM

This is the easiest part of the whole thing. I suggest you do an Internet search for "free forum hosting" and create a simple forum.

Once your clan "takes off," you can get a domain name and other hosting things that will cost you bucks.

SERVER(S)

This is a hard initial choice, but it’s also one of the most satisfying.

Understand there are TWO types of hosted servers, public and private. Public ones will show up in the master server browser, but you pay almost TWICE the cost for this. Private servers are not in the server browser, are pass worded, and except for the advertising of the server, are usually exactly like what you would pay for a public server…just cheaper.

I would suggest you figure out how many folks you want in your server at one time (10 is a good starting number with room to grow) and then see what you can get a private server for. Many server hosting company’s are offering extras with your rental, like web space and voice communication programs.

Understand that as your clan grows, you can add to the player capacity of your server, or make a private one a public one thru your host.

Server Pitfalls

Here’s what you will need to watch for in renting a server:

1. Location, location, location! LOL If the majority of your clan is in one part of the nation; try to rent a server close to that location. No one enjoys online gaming when their ping makes them “frag-bait.”

2. Customer service. Servers crash all the time. You want to make sure the folks you rent from are not only knowledgeable about how to fix problems, but are available almost 24/7 to fix your problems. You don’t want to find out that there is no weekend customer support when you have a clan match scheduled for Saturday!

3. THIS ONE”S IMPORTANT! Many server hosts DO NOT allow you full access to the .ini or start up scripts for servers. Some do not even allow you the ability to re-start a server that has crashed. Do your homework on this one…you need to make sure that you have FULL access to your server, and not that you have to e-mail some dude to get a mutator added to a command line “in a few days.”

4. Lastly, re-directs. You do NOT want your server to have to “push” custom content to the people playing on it…you want that stuff coming from another server where those files are uploaded by you via FTP. Some companies include free re-direct access servers, some charge around $5.00 a month for the service…either way if you think you are EVER going to have more maps, skins or whatever than the game came with, a re-direct is a must have deal for your clan!

Well, that’s it at the moment; good luck, have fun and if I didn’t answer any questions fully… post it here!
    i am glad i read this. VERY nice info mate, VERY nice

Comment

I was never interested in a productive clan, just a fun one really. We LOST a lot over the years, but we had so much fun playing together that we managed to keep a large core group of guys that enjoyed playing together for over 5 years (pushing 8 now but inactive the last two for the most part).

Oddly enough, what finally kind of took the clan down was years and years of losing followed by brief and unexpected success. We lost consistently almost every match through UT99 CTF ladders. Had minor but still losing records though UT99 DOM, UT2k3/4 CTF followed by some competitive time on the 2k3/4 DDOM ladders.

Suddenly, we had a core group of players that had a lot of immense early success on the 2k4 ONSLAUGHT ladders. We won 10-12 matches only losing a couple and were playing for the top rung...suddenly with winning guys started to get all bent out of shape about playing time and there was a lot of dissent. Then we lost our match for the top rung and started going about 500 for a while and everyone just lost their taste. It was a bad ending really for a 5+ years of great fun for a bunch of older guys in their 20s and 30s.

Other than having a server and someone that knows how to admin it (really tougher now that UT3 is without web admin) is key to being able to survive, but ultimately, it's about getting guys like being around eachother and not just to play to win or anything. Hanging around chat between pick up games and matches and slinging **** on the forums was as much fun as the playing...late nights pubbing...

Clans are meant to be fun, not businesses.

Comment

Originally posted by Green_Day_584 View Post
        i am glad i read this. VERY nice info mate, VERY nice
        Your welcome ...hope it helps!

Originally posted by ScuzzBuster View Post
        I was never interested in a productive clan, just a fun one really.

Clans are meant to be fun, not businesses.
        You may have given more meaning to the word "productive" than i meant.

In no way did i want anyone to think that a "productive" clan wasn't a fun clan... in other terms,"If it isn't fun, why do it?"

Proof that we take fun seriously, THIS is the first line of our "Mission Statement", written almost 5 years ago....

"These are Games; we play them for FUN! "

See ya's online!

Comment

You may have given more meaning to the word "productive" than i meant.
          I certainly didn't mean that be critical of your post...mostly a joke, really. I'm sure my wife would tell you that my heaviest days of clan involvement we're hands down the LEAST productive years of my life...

All the things you mentioned were important, but the one thing I've seen drive a clan down faster than anything was losing and a group of not so tight knit guys. I think what held a bunch of losers together like us over the years were friendships we established. I think the only "mission statement" we ever established was basically a recruitment promise we made to all members that regardless of whatever happens, we just aren't going to take the game too seriously...we deliberately recruited older players...though we ended up taking youngsters later on...guys that joined at 16-17 now getting married...scary...

Comment

Originally posted by ScuzzBuster View Post
            I think the only "mission statement" we ever established was basically a recruitment promise we made to all members that regardless of whatever happens, we just aren't going to take the game too seriously...
            That sounds like excellent advice to folks as well!

Comment

FORUM

Hey, I just wanted to let you know that UT3F offers free clan forums specifically for UT3 clans. It fits perfectly in your description of what kind of forums they should look for as it provides an already large group of players that can see the forum, as well as the ability for guests to post questions about the clan. We also offer a ventrilo server to anyone and everyone on UT3 (including our hosted clans) as well as an IRC channel for anyone who is a member on our forums. You're welcome to add a link to us in the "Forum" section of your guide (in fact we'd really appreciate it if you did ). Let me know if you have any questions about what we offer.

Great guide by the way!

Comment

Originally posted by Number1SuperGuy View Post
                You're welcome to add a link to us in the "Forum" section of your guide (in fact we'd really appreciate it if you did ).
                Great guide by the way!
                Thank you!

Link added BTW.

Comment

Thank you!

Link added BTW.
                  Awesome, thanks for the support

Comment

i planned to write something like this myself.

this safes me a lot of typing ^^

my small hints to add:
                    - never refuse to help a member when your a leader. and if you cant take it, make a clear stand about when your in your leader role & when you want to do other stuff.
                    - be interested in what your members do in RL. otherwise you can be in clan with somebody for years without getting the feeling you know him.

Comment

Thank you!

Link added BTW.
                      Cool, thanks Fluffy, and thanks for taking the time to share all that info! I'm sure it will answer a lot of questions!

Comment

Your welcome folks!

Comment

Your welcome folks!

Comment

Nice guide. Does VVV Still have a Instigib section? I remember you guys back from the UCL days.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn14316 View Post
                              Nice guide. Does VVV Still have a Instigib section? I remember you guys back from the UCL days.
                              Indeed we do ...that is when the game gets it together... LOL

We have more than a few folks waiting to see what IG is going to come up with.

Comment

Working...
                              X