Only getting bitmap(?) graphics. No 3D.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only getting bitmap(?) graphics. No 3D.

I've been running the UT3 demo, and the graphics seem to be really bad. I'm running on XP SP2, with a RADEON X800 XT card. 3GHz P4, 2 Gig RAM.

It looks like I'm only getting bitmap graphics - does that make sense? I remember "in the good old days", if your OpenGL or whatever wasn't configured properly you'd get olde worlde "bitmap graphics" with no hardware 3D. That seems to be what I'm getting now. I think I have the latest directx (9.0c, 4.09.0000.0904)

I'm not a hard-core gamer so sorry if I'm confusing terms here.

Anyone know what's up? Cheers.

No 3D? How did you get into the menu?

Can you take a screenshot?

Are you sure your screen percentage isnt too low?

Comment

i think MysTikal nailed it. go into your video settings and, if you have an LCD set the resolution to your monitor's. next (still under video settings) go to advanced and adjust the screen percentage to 100% (you may later want to adjust this to gain FPS).

you may also want to further tweak the graphics in the ini's. ultron posted a good guide.

Comment

Could you post a picture?

Comment

Ah ha, "screen percentage" seemed to be the problem. It was set to 50% (which I guess is the default). I bumped that to 100% and its now a million times better.

I've not come across that setting on anything before, thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Yes screen percentage is a weird setting. It basically takes a picture at x percentage of your current resolution and stretches it to the resolution you have set. 50% makes for a strange looking game in my opinion but I'm sure its the only way they could stretch a game this graphically intense to a much lower end system.

Comment

It's the only way I can get good FPS too, heh.

Comment

i don't believe it's simply for lower end systems per say. it's for LCDs and native resolution restrictions; CRT users can simply use 100% and adjust the resolution to their liking. LCDs, in contrast, don't like running in anything but their native resolution. typically, for optimal performance of their monitors, this means LCD users are fixed to one resolution. to ensure the greatest flexibility in the in-game system video settings, the screen percentage allows LCD users to pseudo use a lower resolution while still running at the native resolution of their LCD.

i hope that made sense. %)

Comment

It makes sense sure, I guess I was mainly surprised that it was set to 50% after the installation. It's a pretty old, but still awesome NEC 40" LCD, so no PnP information from it, so maybe that's why it defaulted low. I'll try some of ultron's stuff another time, when I have the time.

Thank you all for your help and comments. Game looks like fun.

Comment

i believe the game automatically adjusts the video settings of the client based on your hardware, but probably doesn't even take into account your monitor. so, in this case it's configuring based mainly on your cpu and vid card. i've got the same card and mine also defaulted to 50%.

i've pretty much turned all the "pretty" in game and adjusted according to ultron's low end ini config. i'd recommend keeping the "gore" though as it's pretty cool, especially the shock combos. 8)

Comment

Most LCDs automatically stretch lower resolutions to fit. If, in the rare case they don't, nVidia and Ati both offer "flat panel scaling" options. The screen percentage thing is a mystery to me. If in fact it was their solution to flat panel scaling then I wish they had invested their time in some other aspect of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by bclagge View Post
                        Most LCDs automatically stretch lower resolutions to fit. If, in the rare case they don't, nVidia and Ati both offer "flat panel scaling" options. The screen percentage thing is a mystery to me. If in fact it was their solution to flat panel scaling then I wish they had invested their time in some other aspect of the game.
                        you can view resolutions not native to the LCD, but it's not optimal. basically, if you use a resolution other than the native one you may end up with anomalies or image degradation.

here is some more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_resolution

so, this screen percentage is ideal for LCD users wanting to wanting to run at lower resolutions while still using the LCD's native res.

Comment

Originally posted by johnd View Post
                          I've not come across that setting on anything before, thanks for the heads up.
                          F.E.A.R. has something similar, Pixel doubling. halves the logical resolution and has 1 logical pixel spread across 4 physical pixels. Same effect at 50% screen percentage.

I think it was in another game as well, tho i dont remember off the top of my head

Comment

Originally posted by wasser View Post
                            you can view resolutions not native to the LCD, but it's not optimal. basically, if you use a resolution other than the native one you may end up with anomalies or image degradation.

here is some more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_resolution

so, this screen percentage is ideal for LCD users wanting to wanting to run at lower resolutions while still using the LCD's native res.
                            Holy **** dude. I never knew that. I have been playing at 800x500 and the resolution would produce some bad graphics. I just launched the game and set me res to 1440x900 and screen percentage to 50% and played and HOLY **** those graphics are 100 times better than 800x500. Now I am gonna try this with gears of war. I did not get any change in FPS doing this.

Comment

Holy **** dude. I never knew that. I have been playing at 800x500 and the resolution would produce some bad graphics. I just launched the game and set me res to 1440x900 and screen percentage to 50% and played and HOLY **** those graphics are 100 times better than 800x500. Now I am gonna try this with gears of war. I did not get any change in FPS doing this.
                              lol sekazi... for some reason I can see caboose from Red vs Blue saying that... (Red vs Blue - the only good thing to come out of halo)

Comment

Working...
                              X