Why is this game rated 18?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is this game rated 18?

Unreal tournament 2004 had more gore, stronger language and more attitude in general than UT3 has and is rated a 16.

UT3 has censored swearing and from what I can tell, reduced gore.

I don't have a problem with it being rated 18 I just wonder why it is when it has such a lack of mature content.

Originally posted by Khainegom View Post
    Unreal tournament 2004 had more gore, stronger language and more attitude in general than UT3 has and is rated a 16.

UT3 has censored swearing and from what I can tell, reduced gore.

I don't have a problem with it being rated 18 I just wonder why it is when it has such a lack of mature content.
    I don't know what version you have, but in one of the first single player cut scenes Malcolm uses the F word out right, not F yeah but the actual word.

Comment

So what? One swear word earns the game an 18?

Comment

And don't forget about the sexual jesters Do da Dance, Do da Dance, Do da Dance lol

Comment

Originally posted by Khainegom View Post
          So what? One swear word earns the game an 18?
          If u need to hear more swearing listen to ur self as ur being frag since u have time to listen for cuss words.

i only hear others scream when i play... to zoned out

Comment

Indeed, I was very suprised to see an 18 cert for UT3, seeing as content wise it isn't much different from UT2k4, but hey, I don't mind, it's been a good few years since an 18 cert denied me anything anyway

Comment

According to the BBFC, the game got an 18 certificate because the whole point of the game is blowing people up as violently as possible. The strong language barely got a mention in their decision.
              Note that the BBFC didn't actually rate 2K4 at all, so your comparison is not valid. That 16+ was given by pegi, also based on the violence, but I can't find any further details. Pegi hasn't rated the UK release of UT3, though they rated every other EU version 18+.

I guess that since the models is that much more realistic than before, as is the violence inflicted (recognisable bodyparts vs. generic gibs?), the various boards have decided to kick it up a notch.

Comment

Originally posted by btcomm View Post
                I don't know what version you have, but in one of the first single player cut scenes Malcolm uses the F word out right, not F yeah but the actual word.
                really, whats with u guys, afraid to say the **** word?

Foul language is A PART OF UT. It's a hardcore balls-against-the-wall deathmatch competition!!!

Comment

Well, I have the UK DVD in front of me, and while the BBFC gave it an 18, it's only received a MA 15+ from er, Australia, I think, which I agree more with, ho hum.

Edit: You are correct Mr.Rose, the BBFC didn't touch UT2k4, and thus the ratings are not comparable, still, the violence in UT3 isn't much more brutal than 2k4, so the harsher rating is...strange, but then the BBFC has gone a bit hard-line recently, banning Manhunt 2 for instance.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Rose View Post
                    According to the BBFC, the game got an 18 certificate because the whole point of the game is blowing people up as violently as possible. The strong language barely got a mention in their decision.
                    Note that the BBFC didn't actually rate 2K4 at all, so your comparison is not valid. That 16+ was given by pegi, also based on the violence, but I can't find any further details. Pegi hasn't rated the UK release of UT3, though they rated every other EU version 18+.

I guess that since the models is that much more realistic than before, as is the violence inflicted (recognisable bodyparts vs. generic gibs?), the various boards have decided to kick it up a notch.
                    Makes sense I guess, but I still don't see why the language has been tuned down, especially with the taunts.

Comment

is this forum automatically changing F*ck into **** ??? lol

Comment

It's not only the "F word", but also the content in videos etc.
                        The Krall invasion and the last one are quite brutal. (Reaper using the Rocket Launcher as a melee weapon was quite messy IMHO.)
                        I don't know about the special censored German version that got a 16+ rating, but the uncensored version definitely deserves a rating of 18+ due to language and the way violence is displayed.

Comment

Working...
                        X