No announcement yet.

Where are the HUGE maps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem is that map-packs never get played as much as stock maps for the simple fact that it requires users to go out and download them. I'm really disappointed in the map selection. :-(

Comment

Originally posted by bclagge View Post
      Warfare maps were advertised as being three times the size of your average ONS map. They did not live up to that.
      Looks like nothing lived up to anything...

Comment

Had to make maps smaller for the console "since this is a port of a CONSOLE game" and not a pc game that was ported to the console. They need to do something here soon to get people playing this game "pretty low in rank for people online"

Comment

huge maps is not UT, they realised that

Comment

Originally posted by warwhore View Post
            A map pack every few weeks? Keep dreamin', that's just not possible. Besides even if it were there's just no money to be made by releasing complimentary content these days
            Well not every few weeks but Epic is WELL known for releasing bonus packs for their games and there's interviews online when they were talking about the benefits of the pc title not needing certification for patches, when Mark Rein said again they'd be releasing bonus packs. Epic's always done this, just not every few weeks. Also Digital Extremes had their stuff too but I don't think they are doing content for Epic anymore (maybe streamline... I don't know what they do, I didn't keep up much of that.) I really never kept up with DE after they tried their hand at a FPS with Pariah. As for Epic, I do keep up with Shane Caudle's stuff though

Comment

I am very dissapointed with "warfare" mode. All I see is "onslaught with orbs."

Comment

Originally posted by rhiridflaidd View Post
                For me the main rule breached in the stock maps is that wherever you spawn you should be no more than 3-4 seconds away from a teleport pad.
                This wouldn't bother me if I could choose where to spawn.

It really bothers me in Dusk, with two separate node paths to the enemy core. We'll be doing fine on one and it keeps spawning me there, when I'd rather hold of their push on the other path. Have to trot to the teleporter each time argh. Would rather spawn where I choose.

This is obviously a concession to consoles. Without a mouse I guess it's be harder for them to click a node in a hurry. Maybe they could assign a button for each node and mark it on the map?

EDIT:
                yeah I hate the effing orbs too.

Comment

Originally posted by Akolyte01 View Post
                  I am very dissapointed with "warfare" mode. All I see is "onslaught with orbs."
                  hopefully they make a mutator where you can turn off those orbs. I hate capturing a node and then the bots dont' defend very well and some guy slips by because you have to move on with the bots as they aren't every good at capturing the next nodes either.

Comment

Originally posted by Sinnthetika View Post
                    hopefully they make a mutator where you can turn off those orbs. I hate capturing a node and then the bots dont' defend very well and some guy slips by because you have to move on with the bots as they aren't every good at capturing the next nodes either.
                    If you played online you would appreciate orbs a lot more

Comment

Originally posted by Borbarad View Post
                      If you played online you would appreciate orbs a lot more
                      Oh I have, but I really dislike them. It seems cheap to me. I liked onslaught better personally.

Comment

Originally posted by bclagge View Post
                        It's funny, we're talking about Warfare, and you post a link to DM maps.
                        Those were the examples I found. You really don't have to be a jerk about it, do you?

Go back and play a couple UT2004 ONS maps, then play some UT3 WAR maps. The average size is comparable. Warfare maps were advertised as being three times the size of your average ONS map. They did not live up to that.
                        That really is the point, Mr Knowitall. The WAR maps aren't any bigger than ONs maps (at least the playable sections). If they were as big as Epic had originally anticipated, I doubt many of us would be able to play the maps as anything other than slideshows. But that's okay, you guys just keep on b1tching...

Keep in mind that Unreal Tournament is scalable in that as the general population gets better gear to run it on, we will see better performance gains and increased capability for the really huge maps.

Comment

CBP, please!

Comment

Originally posted by 4TX4 View Post
                            Looks like nothing lived up to anything...
                            Its sad to say, but I think your right.

I bet console players will have fun with this one though

Comment

stupid, stupid, STUPID consoles.

cant beleive us PC players are using this when its been designed for the console instead.

this thread has finally opened my eyes to what is happening. EPIC NO LONGER CARE ABOUT THEIR FAITHFUL PC COMMUNITY

Comment

Originally posted by thanos1212 View Post
                                Had to make maps smaller for the console "since this is a port of a CONSOLE game" and not a pc game that was ported to the console. They need to do something here soon to get people playing this game "pretty low in rank for people online"
                                I have no clue where people get the idea that this is a port of a console game. The game was in development for PC first, released on PC first, has high-res textures that consoles can't fit in memory, and epic decided against cross-platform play to preserve the PC experience since that's their core audience.

The only thing that is consolish about the game is the crappy menu system.

For the console versions they very easily could have just lowered the detail on the maps to preserve file sizes so things would fit into memory. A few less polys here, a few less objects there, etc.

I think the smaller level sizes was probably just a stupid design decision or because they rushed the game out the door (which seems more likely).

In short: The console versions are ports of a PC game, not the other way around.

Comment

Working...
                                X