Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where are the HUGE maps?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    You can always been 3-4 seconds away from a teleport pad no matter how big the map is.

    I played Red Planet all the time on servers for years after the game was released. Granted, most servers were playing Torlan over and over because of the demo, but there were servers that were putting everything in rotation.

    RedPlanet, Dria, Crossfire, and another one that I'm forgetting the name of were great maps. It didn't feel like Primevil over and over again like UT3 does.

    Comment


      #17
      I dislike massive maps. Too much walking/riding around. The fact that the maps are smaller is better because the action is always present. You can spawn and get to where you need to go quicker. Keeps the adrenaline rush going, as opposed to dying down.

      Comment


        #18
        Vehicles become useless in smaller maps. The action would still be there in bigger maps - that's what the teleporters at nodes are for. Also, Warfare was billed as being BIGGER than Onslaught, and that seems to be the opposite.

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by slinky317 View Post
          Vehicles become useless in smaller maps. The action would still be there in bigger maps - that's what the teleporters at nodes are for. Also, Warfare was billed as being BIGGER than Onslaught, and that seems to be the opposite.
          For vehicle type maps like Warfare the map size should be medium sized. Not too small, but not too big. And a lot of the maps in UT3 are like that. Which I like.
          Nodes don't always work to your advantage. Say for example that the next two nodes are being fought for and you can't teleport to them. In that case you have to jump in a fast vehicle, and worst part is that if there are none you have to use your hoverboard which makes things quicker than walking of course, but for a huge map it can get annoying.

          Comment


            #20
            Don't you get it yet? FFS, everything that people are complaining about can be understood with one word: "Consolefied".

            The money is in the console market. Everythng Epic did to UT3 is designed to facilitate the console versions - smaller maps included.

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by SetOfAllSets View Post
              Don't you get it yet? FFS, everything that people are complaining about can be understood with one word: "Consolefied".

              The money is in the console market. Everythng Epic did to UT3 is designed to facilitate the console versions - smaller maps included.
              That too. It's sad that the UT series is being consolefied.

              Comment


                #22
                ....I always that that Unreal Championship was the console version of UT...and it needs to stay that way

                Comment


                  #23
                  Most of the maps are actually quite huge. It's just that the play areas are very limited for obvious reasons. I would venture to say that if a UT3 map the size of some of those huge community made UT2004 Onslaught maps might not run at all on most players' machines.

                  Here is a link that shows how big some of the UT3 maps truly are.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by PREDATOR7 View Post
                    looks like they screwed their customers. fooled ya all into thinking there would be bigger maps and BLAM! smaller maps than ut99. nice move.
                    are you by any chance john madden? lol

                    lol but seriously, i feel the same way, some of my fav maps like dria and dawn, were the bigger maps, and the smaller ones such as prime were my least fav...

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by Crotale View Post
                      Most of the maps are actually quite huge. It's just that the play areas are very limited for obvious reasons. I would venture to say that if a UT3 map the size of some of those huge community made UT2004 Onslaught maps might not run at all on most players' machines.

                      Here is a link that shows how big some of the UT3 maps truly are.
                      It's funny, we're talking about Warfare, and you post a link to DM maps.

                      Go back and play a couple UT2004 ONS maps, then play some UT3 WAR maps. The average size is comparable. Warfare maps were advertised as being three times the size of your average ONS map. They did not live up to that.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        From all the inteviews and stuff it makes me think that they have a completely different game.

                        It would be funny if Epic gave us the console version by accident and they recalled all the games and replaced them with the real unreal tournament 3 games and it actually was complete and lived up to our expectations.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by Therealjoe View Post
                          From all the inteviews and stuff it makes me think that they have a completely different game.

                          It would be funny if Epic gave us the console version by accident and they recalled all the games and replaced them with the real unreal tournament 3 games and it actually was complete and lived up to our expectations.
                          Wishful thinking!

                          Comment


                            #28
                            The maps for warefare are definately not huge... they may be slightly bigger then UT2k4 ONS maps, but really not by much at all.... This doesn't really bother me that much, be nice to get some maps that were really big though like epic were talking about pre-launch. Map packs will have to be really good for the bonus stuff that may come later because the stock maps are GOOD!! there just simply isn't enough for a few gametypes..... Theres a thread that stated about how epic would fail without the community, which there is "some" truth to that i suppose, considering just how much content the community actually produces, but then, epic made the game that way specificly so....
                            I hated ONS, wasn't really keen on the vechials in them, the map layouts or anything about how it worked. Warefare is MUCH better, along with the vechials which actually look like what their supposed to be now, the Tanks in 2k4 i felt didn't even look like tanks in my opinion for example, but WAR is basicly ONS. there really isn't much of assault in it at all to be fair.... WAR is much more enjoyable and dont miss the OLD ons. at all. Map sizes i think will just come with time and you will see just how fast the UT3 universe will actually grow.

                            Comment


                              #29
                              None of the existing maps are very Assault like. But Warfare can be easily modded into Assault maps (I read it, I can't mod). So we can hope for something from the community.

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by Stop It View Post
                                I have a feeling they will follow in due course, like UT2k4, Epic start with a decent but not huge amount of maps, then throw us a free map pack every few weeks, I fully expect the same treatment for UT3.
                                Epics mappacks and bonus maps have always been good.

                                I expect the same for UT3.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X