Where are the HUGE maps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where are the HUGE maps?

I remember reading about UT3 and seeing that Warfare was going to have maps twice the size of Onslaught maps in UT2004.

Where are they? It seems that with the exception of the remakes - Torlan, Dusk, and that Ascendancy one - all of the new maps are SMALLER than the old UT04 maps. These new vehicles are awesome but I feel so cramped using them. The maps in UT2004 felt like real battlefields - Redplanet, Crossfire, and Dria just to name three. These new maps feel tiny and claustrophobic in comparison.

I have a feeling they will follow in due course, like UT2k4, Epic start with a decent but not huge amount of maps, then throw us a free map pack every few weeks, I fully expect the same treatment for UT3.

Comment

Originally posted by slinky317 View Post
      I remember reading about UT3 and seeing that Warfare was going to have maps twice the size of Onslaught maps in UT2004
      That was also when warfare was called 'conquest' and there was going to be resource management as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterling View Post
        That was also when warfare was called 'conquest' and there was going to be resource management as well.
        I can understand that. However, it doesn't explain why the new maps are SMALLER than old maps.

Comment

There are no large maps in UT3, neithermind huge. they all seem pretty small compared to UT2004 and even UT99.

Comment

looks like they screwed their customers. fooled ya all into thinking there would be bigger maps and BLAM! smaller maps than ut99. nice move.

Comment

Originally posted by Stop It View Post
              throw us a free map pack every few weeks
              A map pack every few weeks? Keep dreamin', that's just not possible. Besides even if it were there's just no money to be made by releasing complimentary content these days

Comment

Originally posted by PREDATOR7 View Post
                looks like they screwed their customers. fooled ya all into thinking there would be bigger maps and BLAM! smaller maps than ut99. nice move.
                hahahaha !

Comment

Well, the UT3 Torlan maps certainly feel a lot bigger than the UT2004 version. Also, if maps are too big, they also tend to be sucky.

Comment

Originally posted by slinky317 View Post
                    I remember reading about UT3 and seeing that Warfare was going to have maps twice the size of Onslaught maps in UT2004.

Where are they? It seems that with the exception of the remakes - Torlan, Dusk, and that Ascendancy one - all of the new maps are SMALLER than the old UT04 maps. These new vehicles are awesome but I feel so cramped using them. The maps in UT2004 felt like real battlefields - Redplanet, Crossfire, and Dria just to name three. These new maps feel tiny and claustrophobic in comparison.
                    I agree with this! Aside from the crappy vehicles and bot AI issues with the vehicles, the maps do feel smaller/claustrophobic which is also another reason why I dont like warfare.

Epic has totally ruined Ons into a crapfest of stoopid bots playing bumpercars with their own crappy vehicles in closet sized maps. The only mode I find myself playing is DM or Duel now. The vehicles and their maps reek! They are just unplayable!

I remember jeff was bragging about a 'HUGE MULTI-MAP' structure designed around a 'seamless' technology of flowing through the massive battlefront. BULLCRAP! Just like their bogus BULLSHOTS of photos of a games graffix that we don't have! Way to go into misleading your pc fans epic! *sarcastically clapping hands*

Comment

Map packs are never as popular as stock maps simply because it requires users to go out and download them. There in itself will decrease the chances of the maps being played.

And the bigger maps weren't sucky - my fondest memories were of trying to get the nodes in RedPlanet, and having Levi battles over the center. Dawn was one of the best balanced maps in UT2004, and even they made THAT feel claustrophobic in UT3.

If anything, the term "Onslaught" would imply close battles and small maps, whereas "Warfare" would imply larger, dynamic battlefields. In reality, they're the exact opposite. It seems to be that most maps in UT3 are Primevil size, which any UTer will tell you was one of the smaller maps in UT2004.

I'm disappointed.

Comment

More maps != good game.

Quality, not quantity. Look at UT2004, it had a ridiculous amount of maps for each gametype (exc Ons) and only 2 or 3 would get played.

Comment

Exactly, which is why a map pack of larger maps would ultimately fail because everyone would still play the stock maps. Like it or not, THESE are the maps that we are going to be playing, and the fact that all the new maps are smaller than UT2004 maps is very disheartening.

Comment

Originally posted by PREDATOR7 View Post
                            I sincerely hope that's not the case. :-(

I was disappointed to see why there wasn't any Warfare in the demo - but maybe it's because it didn't live up to the hype. As big as three ONS maps? Please. The biggest map I believe, Powersurge, is as big as it was in UT2004.

Comment

Fan made maps were far superior to the stock maps in UT2004. What's important is that the mechanics are there to make tremendous maps - and they are.

For me the main rule breached in the stock maps is that wherever you spawn you should be no more than 3-4 seconds away from a teleport pad. It's zero time to action that's the hype, and if you spawn way in the back of your base, it can take a while to get orientated and to find your teleport pad.

Warfare does live up to the hype. It plays very well. And after the first 3 months, nobody played red planet, so I'm not overly concerned.

Comment

Working...
                              X