Atrophy of taunts/portraits complete...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atrophy of taunts/portraits complete...

This thread is only for people who enjoy taunting and getting into character...

I really like UT3 alot but it is missing a key ingredient and it is amazing to me that Epic overlooks such simple but effective stuff.

When I play, I like to select a character and during the time I'm playing I want to BECOME that character. The only way to reinforce the fact that I'm a certain character is to show my portrait (and play voice) not only to the person I killed but to myself. I also want to bind specific taunts and have my portrait displayed to my enemy and myself.

It seems with each release, this just keeps atrophying and Epic obviously doesn't care:

UT99: Taunts (auto and bound) showed portrait and text to both self and enemy and voice could be heard by both.
    UT2k3: Auto-taunts showed portrait to enemy only but voice heard by both. Could bind "say" command to key to force portrait to self and enemy.
    UT2k4: Auto-taunts showed portrait to enemy only but voice heard by both. Some random orders showed portrait to both self and enemy. "Say" command no longer forced portrait to show to self and enemy.
    UT3: Auto-taunts not heard by self - only enemy. Portrait shown to enemy but not self. Player voice only heard by self when selecting from paltry menu or two prebound keys. No options for binding taunts to keys (at least in the menus).

In other words, in UT3 there is almost zero feedback to me that I'm the character that I selected!!! Worthless!!! This is the kind of stuff that makes me wish I could make my own games!!!!

Someday, I just want to, while playing as a Skaarj character (UT4?), thrust my arm blades into my dead enemy and lift his/her lifeless body over my head while taunting and there is an active portrait window showing a third person view of the action. Now THAT would be just what the doctor ordered to reduce my stress after a long day at work...

That's just the taunts ... you don't even hear yourself giving commands this time either.
    All you get is a 'bleep'-sound to confirm that you've given a command ...
    The 'acknowledge'-sounds are also missing from the voice-menu, although they are part of the voicepacks.

Comment

Good post... You know, I'd really like to know who exactly decided to remove all these BASIC (and often essential) features, and WHY? Did they seriously think we wouldn't notice and/or care? Is there some kind of logic behind this mess?

Comment

Originally posted by 4TX4 View Post
        Good post... You know, I'd really like to know who exactly decided to remove all these BASIC (and often essential) features, and WHY? Did they seriously think we wouldn't notice and/or care? Is there some kind of logic behind this mess?
        Exactly! I complained very loudly about this when 2k3 and 2k4 came out and never got an answer so I'm not expecting one this time either.

Comment

I HATE the fact that I select a taunt and my char gives a random taunt, I wanna say "I AM THE ALPHA AND THE OMEGA" when I want it!!!

Comment

Unfortunately this is just one of those deals that people don't care enough about. Apathy leads to atrophy .

Comment

Originally posted by PeterS_01 View Post
              I HATE the fact that I select a taunt and my char gives a random taunt, I wanna say "I AM THE ALPHA AND THE OMEGA" when I want it!!!
              +1

I'm hoping future patches will unlock more options.

Comment

I have to echo this sentiment, actually. It's not a huge deal to me, and I'm practically over it already. But that's not to say it wouldn't be nice to have a little more control over your taunts, and especially over the commands you give out. Having no 'Defend the base!' sound to bind and everything else good, really, is very saddening.

Comment

It's not going to prevent me from playing the game but I have to hope that future patches will bring this up to the level that at least 2k4 was. I had no idea what was going on while giving an order when you just hear a beep. It's like what was that? Was that an error?

Comment

Agree with M^vL 100%. We need these features brought back to UT3 in a patch. Can't understand why it isn't there already.

Comment

Originally posted by Mardarkin View Post
                      I have to echo this sentiment, actually. It's not a huge deal to me, and I'm practically over it already. But that's not to say it wouldn't be nice to have a little more control over your taunts, and especially over the commands you give out. Having no 'Defend the base!' sound to bind and everything else good, really, is very saddening.
                      i'm pretty much right there. it's not game breaking, but it definitely reduces both the utility and the fun of the voice binds. in ut99 and 2k4 one of the most amusing things to me was the back and forth with the taunting. also, the binds made it easy to communicate with teammates.

hopefully they'll bring improvements into the game and soon.

Comment

auto taunts are broken, not forgotten, there is the option but it doesn't work

Comment

I agree with the other posters, Speech binding is a terrific feature in the former UT's. Epic, please bring it back! I think it is sorely needed in my UT3. That way I can have my favorite taunts, orders and other voice lines ready for combat!

Comment

Originally posted by 4TX4 View Post
                            It has to fit on the 360 disc somehow

Hehe.

Comment

Agree with M^vL 100%. We need these features brought back to UT3 in a patch. Can't understand why it isn't there already.

Comment

Working...
                              X