We need UT3 to be more Customizeable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We need UT3 to be more Customizeable

Epic, you once told, UT3 would be the most customizeable game of the series, it may be true for creating the look of your character, but everything else really doesn´t fit into this statement. I don´t know if you had not enough time to include all features or if you wanted to make the game simpler, but I think the UT community really would like UT3 to be as much customizeable as the other UT-games have been.
    There are very good reasons for the popularity of the games configurability: It is easier to access custom user content (like voicepacks) and it guarantees a higher replayability. High customizeability is a very big part of UT and without it, it would be like [Insert here your most favorite thing and imagine it without the best part of it] (This is customizeability ).

Don´t get me wrong, I don´t expect the next patch to fix everything, after all you are not magicians, even if UT makes the kind of impression you are . I know, you will do your best to include as many missing features as possible in the game from time to time.
    Hopefully, at least the next big BonusPack or GotY will bring back UT´s customizeablility to its former glory.

Player Setup:

- VoicePacks (1): I would like the freedom (I had in UT1 and UT2004) to choose any voicepack in the character setup, even if this means that I could play Lauren with Krall voice.

- Team Preference (2): I want to choose my Team Color. It would be useful to know, which Team I will join, to make it easier to set up teams manually.

- Center Weapon (3): I always prefered to play UT with centered weapons, because it made aiming a little bit easier and I could see the weapons in action, while concentration on the enemy. As far as I know (from the CED´s Making Of), I would not require an extra weapon model to create, the model just needs to be translated.

Bot Setup:

- Customize Bots (1): I would really like to set up my own bots inluding body, armor parts, voicepack, name and if the new AI allows it: combat behaviour and favorite weapon

- Customize Teams (1): Why aren´t there pictures instead of names, right now I can´t even tell to which faction a bot belongs.

- Choose Team for Bots (1): Please add another column into the bot setup menu, to seperate the bot´s teams. It would make three columns: Available Bots, Red Team, Blue Team.

- Multiplayer (1): There should be the same options in Multiplayer Host Game as in Instant Action. I don´t see a reason why I shouldn´t be able to specify the bots in a multiplayer game. The same bot setup menu, I suggested right above, would also fit well into multiplayer setup.

Mutators:

- Mutator Configuration (1): It is annoying to click on "Configure Mutator" with the result that a message appears, which tells you that the "selected mutator is not configurable" or "you can only configure active mutators". Why not simply deactivation the "Configure Mutator" button, if there is nothing to configure on the selected mutator.

- Mutator need more variability (2): There are many mutators which are not configurable, but it suggests for itself, that they should be. Here are some examples:
    InstaGib: Zoom yes/no
    LowGrav: 0-100%(10% Steps), Air Control,...
    Team Damage: 10-100%(5% Steps)
    NoPowerups: Choice of Powerups to be deactivated (e.g. no Redeemer, or Shieldbelt/Keg´O´Health only,...)
    SpeedFreak 110%-200%(10% Steps)
    SlowMo 50%-95%(5% Steps)

- Mutator Filter (1): In the Server Browser, I would like a filter option for mutators, please. It could work the same way as the mutator selection screen on a skirmish or server setup, except that you can additionaly select 3 options: If the filter removes servers using this mutators or show only servers using alt least one or all of the selected mutators.

UI, Menu, ServerBrowser:

- Maplist (1): I want to save my maplists, if possible each as a single .ini file to make it editable it by hand. Now, with max. 20 maps per gametype, it seems not to be needed, but think of the many user created maps, which will be added, there will be hundreds of maps then.

- Mixed Gametypes (2): With these .ini-files, it could be possible to make a mixed gametype maplist. They should be listed as the gametype "Mixed" in the server browser then.

- Server Info (2): There should be a button to show "Advanced Server Info", where you can see everything useful (current players, used mutators and their settings, maplist, ...)

- InGame Options (2): I don´t like to click twice on an options button, if I am accessing them in game. Instead of "Advanced Options", you could put the submenus ("Graphics", "Sound", "Player", ...) there for direct access.

- TeamHealth (2): In a CTF game, i realized, you can see teamcolored signs with the teammembers names, but not their health. Vehicles and nodes however, show the names and health. It would be useful to see this kind of information.

- HUD Color (3): I would like to be able to define the color of the UI in non team-based gamemodes, al well as the opacity in general. I know, there is only DeathMatch, which would use the color, but it is for me and many other UT players the gamemode, which is played most of the time.

- Crosshairs (3): Since you offer the option to show simple crosshairs, they should be customizeable (color, size, style, opacity), if this option is active. Of course, the crosshair should be chooseable for every weapon, both the simple customizeable and the default dynamic crosshair.

Miscellaneous:

- MMMMMonsterKILKillkill (1): Please take yourself a few minutes and edit the soundfile to add the well known and favorite emphasis and echo. Just Monsterkill sounds kinda lame and not much like a big reward. It would be really great.

- AutoTaunt (1): There may be a bug with the effect, that the AutoTaunt does not work. I have it activated and I never hear my character taunting.

- Match Setup (1): If I start a skirmish or multiplayer game, the settings I have made only remain as long as I don´t quit UT3. If I quit and start it again, the default settings are back. I don´t play in offline mode, I am logged in.

- Auto Adjust BotSkill (2): Why is this option missing in UT3?

- Dodging DoubleTapSpeed (2): Even with the new reduced (and much better) movement, dodging is still most important, but I find it hard to access, because I am used to tap the keys much faster. I dont know if it is intended to reduce dodging, but I really would like to set up the time delay between two taps of the directional keys.

- Announcer (2): Instead of activating/deactivating status and reward announcer in the sound menu, replace it with a dropdown box, where you can choose both between "None" and "Default". The reason is, that modders can add additional announcers here.

Legend:
    (1) - Most Important
    (2) - Would make things easier
    (3) - Would improve the look of UT3

Agreed, but you forgot hid size, I would want to scale it down a bit and scale the map heaps!!!

Comment

Agreed, I've played Ut2004 for over 2 years and I must say that, once I started playing UT3 I réally missed out on those customizable features, simply because it is and always has been the trademark of Unreal Tournament.

But I, as many others, am hoping that there is going to be an official, if not Mod community, patch which will implement all the above stated features.

There has even been speculations about Epic having released a half-***** game aka UT 2.5, due to deadlines ( ? ? ), and that they have yet to release the full UT 3 patch.

Which isnt all that unbelievable, even for me ( pure sceptic on everything and their dog), as the Teammate AI in campaign is plain Bullshizzle, + missing out on all those customizable features ( well not all.. you can customize your char and choose from a BIG, advanced crosshair <and> a BIG standard one -.-) makes it quite believable.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoned Rhyno View Post
        Bot Setup:

- Customize Bots (1): I would really like to set up my own bots inluding body, armor parts, voicepack, name and if the new AI allows it: combat behaviour and favorite weapon

- Customize Teams (1): Why aren´t there pictures instead of names, right now I can´t even tell to which faction a bot belongs.

- Choose Team for Bots (1): Please add another column into the bot setup menu, to seperate the bot´s teams. It would make three columns: Available Bots, Red Team, Blue Team.

- Multiplayer (1): There should be the same options in Multiplayer Host Game as in Instant Action. I don´t see a reason why I shouldn´t be able to specify the bots in a multiplayer game. The same bot setup menu, I suggested right above, would also fit well into multiplayer setup.
        I would like to add to this: We need the game to randomly select from the groups of available bots each time a game or server is started or a map is cycled -- just like it did in UT and UT2004. As it stands right now the game selects the same group of bots and doesn't select a different group when the map changes -- at least it doesn't on my LAN server. I get the same ones on my team and the same ones on the opposing team, when the map changes. Perhaps I'm overlooking a setting somewhere.

Great thread Stoned Rhyno -- these issues needed to be brought up and addressed.

Comment

very good thread

Comment

Note to Epic, if you implement this stuff, you'll go a long way to making this game what it should be, a great piece of software, most of it is straightforward too, great thread Stoned Rhyno.

Comment

Very good thread indeed.

Comment

yes very very good

Comment

Good thread. Make the game more customizeable. It's a big shame that you've removed so many options that exited in the previous UT-games. I don't really see a reason for this...

Comment

I'll second some HUD changes. The ability to scale and change the opacity of every part (Health/armor, Ammo, Map, Vehicle, Node, and Player Tags) would be excellent. You have no idea how annoying it is to try and shoot an enemy who is behind the giant billboard names of your allies. Changing the color of the HUD for DM would be nice too.

Comment

lets get it done epic. u just made 20+ million off us once again. on the first day of release. lets get some of this stuff fixed.

Comment

I'm adding my vote to these complaints. UT99 had a much better options setup.
                        that's 99 as in the year 1999.

Comment

Agree, wouldn't mind the Server filter having more options which you can also save etc :-)

Comment

I laughed when i read the back of the game case which says 'choose from a vast array of weapons'.

Theres hardly any weapons.

Comment

I have to 100% with everything mentioned especially the Mutators and the Auto Adjust Bot Skill.

Comment

Working...
                              X