Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Campaign too short? (long story + spoilers )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Campaign too short? (long story + spoilers )

IF YOU DONT WANT TO READ THE ENTIRE STORY.. SCROLL DOWN, I MADE A SUMMARY + If you dont want to read the spoilers.... read the graytext only.. the spoilers are in RED

Ok so I started playing the campaign the moment i bought it, yesterday at around 9 PM.. i played it for 3 hours yesterday.

I woke up today and Played for an additional ~5 Hours. Completed the final battle ( Not giving names or content explanation due to possible spoilers ), watched the ending and the credits scrolled down my screen.

I must say that I was playing on both Hard and normal, switching between the modes as some battles were tougher than others and I had to re-do quite some battles, and I finished more than a handful of battles by awaiting the countdown timer as well.

This all adds up to the 'playtime', i'm not sure how many battles there were but all in all I think it were 20, if not less.

I unlocked 4-5 characters and that's it? +Why is the <<Instagib card unusable at the boss battle? That kind of sucks. >>
    But yeah I feel like finishing the campaign hasn't paid off, 1) because it's too short and filled with fillers as i more than once had to await the countdown timers, not because I suck ( trust me i don't ) but because my allies were simply too noobish to actually defend well while i was attacking or the other way around. Hell even in Teamgames I had to do 80% of the kills because else I wouldn't be able to win.. as my allies rarely frag, sitting ducks i'd say.

and 2) because the rewards were MINIMAL.. 4-5 characters unlocked? i mean like come on...

Last but not least: in UT3 you had this chart with how many kills you made, how often you died, how many killing spree's etc. you had and how many rocket scientist etc. rewards you got. I really missed that in the campaign as well, feels like you didnt make a difference at all.

and the ending... a possible expansion pack ( downloadable? ) as it was clearly an open ending spoiler: <<Watch your step Malcolm :-) the main character obviously has some unfinished business with malcolm and as the main character didnt die in the movie.. well.. >>

There, made my point clear, yes the post isnt as readable as it could be but hey you'll have to settle! I could sum it up though so here it goes:

Summary

1) Too many fillers, allies were too noobish, so you were more often than not unable to finish a CTF etc. game due to potential defense/attack leaks.

2) deathmatches are an unfair advantage to your enemy, you have to get 80% of the kills yourself in order to win as your allies rarely frag and are basically free frags for your enemy.

3) The rewards were really poor... 4-5 characters unlocked?

4) No frags/deaths/awards statistics as you had in UT2004.

5) I finished the campaign in 5-8 hours ( could've been 3-5 WITHOUT the fillers.. better allies please?)

~Kaluro

I think you should have put the spoilers as red.

Comment

Originally posted by NitrousOxide View Post
      I think you should have put the spoilers as red.
      Looks quite better indeed, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by kaluro View Post

Summary

1) Too many fillers, allies were too noobish, so you were more often than not unable to finish a CTF etc. game due to potential defense/attack leaks.

2) deathmatches are an unfair advantage to your enemy, you have to get 80% of the kills yourself in order to win as your allies rarely frag and are basically free frags for your enemy.

3) The rewards were really poor... 4-5 characters unlocked?

4) No frags/deaths/awards statistics as you had in UT2004.

5) I finished the campaign in 5-8 hours ( could've been 3-5 WITHOUT the fillers.. better allies please?)

~Kaluro
        1 and 2: I agree totally! The AI of you own teammates are seriously borked.

3: I have yet to notice any rewards :lol:

4: F yeah!

5: And probably shorter if teammate knows how to attack/defense :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Rein
          Unreal Tournament 3: Mark Rein Interview

Rein: Well the whole point of the campaign mode, let's be upfront, it's not Gears of War. It's not that big, epic, story driven game. The idea behind the campaign is to teach you how to play it, to introduce you to all of the concepts in the game, and to actually take you through and let you play. And in this case, it should have a bit of a story wrapped around it, some cinematics wrapped around it, it has the bots which have this really great interesting banter between them, and I just think it's balls of fun - I want you to tell me the same thing - I'm just really enjoying the campaign, it's a fun way to learn the game and get into it. And then you can go off and play instant action or play online or do anything you want there. You basically get to play through nearly every level in the game, if not every level - it depends how you do, of course. And I think we've done a good job on it for what it is to UT, as opposed to a Halo or Gears of War or the big story driven shooter type games. So I think we've done a really great job.
          Your Mileage May Vary

Comment

I wish they'd combine instant action and campaign, for what'd essentially be an endless series of matches. You fight through one tournament, and win or lose, you just start the next tournament.

Maybe with randomized maps, and all. You'd just get rewarded for winning, and get to see your stats improve, stepping up to the next difficulty level, if you do well enough, and maybe even get team mates that progress along with you, so that eventually, they'd be pretty good, rather than liabilities.

Eventually, you'd plateau, so that you'd stop doing well enough to get bonuses, because the difficulty would surpass you, but you'd still always have that to aim for. Few more points to your team mates, next rung of difficulty, etc. Otherwise, it'd be pretty much the same as just hitting instant action.

Comment

I almost vomit as I watched the Intro. The first thing was: pre-rendererd Bink Video with ingame Engine. No thank you. I loved the realtime Intros of all Unreal Tournament titles, and their story introduction.

While UT has the style of an more urban "fight club" 2003 went into the sports aspect and 2004 gave us something more martial. Well now look at UT3 - its a plain, uninteresting story of any aliens invading the whatever and so on bla. I just dont give a ****. Weres the cool style? The characters? Wheres UNREAL TOURNAMENT? This campaign is even worse as I imagined.

I probably wouldnt even care about the story, if at least the staging would be like in the old days. That includes realtime videos, no chit chat between loading times (thats one of the worst ways to tell a story) no weird world map etc.

I havent played it through yet, since I dont like it. And I am one of the ppl. who prefered the Unreal SP experience. Wasnt that the actual thing behind all the "new story" and "campaing" thing? Well, didnt work

But thats all just about the campaign, not the whole game.

Comment

Originally posted by Vzur View Post
                I wish they'd combine instant action and campaign
                And I'm glad they have not.

As for campaign - it's pretty fun. Not like I enjoy it more then botmatch, but it has some fun points - like those non-symmetric teams etc.

ps why should you use instagib card for the final boss - the fight isn't that hard anyway, I pwned her with flak.

ps did anyone notice that - in the beginning of the final cutscene the RL is clean and shiney, but at the end it's whole in blood. What happened? Did our hero play by picking Akasha's corpse with RL while talking? Or Jester puked on it? Or he took Akasha's RL? Or he had a spare bloody RL? Or he quickly painted it with dark red paint hoping it would scare the guys off? Hmm..

Comment

Originally posted by Mort_Q View Post
                  Your Mileage May Vary
                  Even if so, I'm still greatly disappointed by the skill level of teammates, Due to the extremely slacking AI or skill level, call it whatever you like - I spent an additional 3 hours playing the campaign simply because I couldnt perform any solo actions as the bots aren't a viable defense or offense. I was forced to stay in defense almost the entire time as bots just don't do their job, meaning it's not likely to finish a match according to the goal achievement, but instead going for the timelimit.

The story you quoted states how the campaign is a mere intro of the actual gametypes + maps, well no denying that, but then we get back to the teammate AI/Skill level, how on earth are you supposed to get familiar with gametypes/maps if teammates simply start slacking from the beginning till the very end of the match? in warfare you are stuck defending the last Note while your allies ATTEMPT<< to kill the enemy's note.. they often slack and get it down to 20-30% before the time limit is up, and when you go for the enemy base yourself the enemy will have assaulted the note back in NO-TIME.

This isn't exactly how I'd like to get familiar with maps/modes.

Originally posted by TheBypasser View Post
                  And I'm glad they have not.

ps why should you use instagib card for the final boss - the fight isn't that hard anyway, I pwned her with flak.

ps did anyone notice that - in the beginning of the final cutscene the RL is clean and shiney, but at the end it's whole in blood. What happened? Did our hero play by picking Akasha's corpse with RL while talking? Or Jester puked on it? Or he took Akasha's RL? Or he had a spare bloody RL? Or he quickly painted it with dark red paint hoping it would scare the guys off? Hmm..

I wouldnt, but I'm just saying you RECEIVED the feature, so you should be able to actually use it regardless of battle.

and the final cutscene, after he says "Are you dead?" he actually starts kicking her, and he also starts hammering into her with his gun, leaving blood spatters all over the place, which would at the same time explain the blood all over him =).

Comment

bumpbump..

Comment

btw also he seems to have three rockets loaded without barrels turning - so they were loaded beforehand.. L33T HAX!
                      Btw I don't get it what are the Krall doing there.. Necris are nice goth guys, hell knows why should they attack. And Krall - those slackers can't even hold the Nali well - why should they make so destructive raids? Lack of beer?

Comment

When Epic added the Necris to the ECE pack for UT2004 a lot of people made fun of the "new" version of them, and a lot of jokes as I recall. Then in this game Malcom says something like "You wanted Necris with attitude, you got them" or something like that. I thought it was just a nod to the community in regards to ECE version of those characters. They definitely improved on them.

Comment

Still I don't get it - in UT99 they were friends, now they are enemies while in UC2 they were friends too (yet I haven't played UC2 if you ask).

Comment

Originally posted by haldolium View Post
                            I almost vomit as I watched the Intro. The first thing was: pre-rendererd Bink Video with ingame Engine. No thank you. I loved the realtime Intros of all Unreal Tournament titles, and their story introduction.

While UT has the style of an more urban "fight club" 2003 went into the sports aspect and 2004 gave us something more martial. Well now look at UT3 - its a plain, uninteresting story of any aliens invading the whatever and so on bla. I just dont give a ****. Weres the cool style? The characters? Wheres UNREAL TOURNAMENT? This campaign is even worse as I imagined.

I probably wouldnt even care about the story, if at least the staging would be like in the old days. That includes realtime videos, no chit chat between loading times (thats one of the worst ways to tell a story) no weird world map etc.

I havent played it through yet, since I dont like it. And I am one of the ppl. who prefered the Unreal SP experience. Wasnt that the actual thing behind all the "new story" and "campaing" thing? Well, didnt work

But thats all just about the campaign, not the whole game.
                            I agree 100%. The actual storyline just makes me laugh at how stupid it is. Field Lattice Generators, anyone?

Comment

I actually thought the campaign was too long.
                              Act 2 was something like 10+ matches itself, and many of them were vCTF (which are usually the longest for me, because it's difficult to cap by yourself on such big maps and against enemy vehicles). Worst, it's all pretty much irrelevant to the story.
                              Act 3 was also about 10 or so matches, but it had more deathmatch levels, which go quickly. Unfortunately it wasn't terribly important to the storyline.
                              Act 4 was pretty good, the storyline picks up here, and there's more of a sense of progression. Unfortunately, you're playing a lot of the same maps you've already played before by this time.
                              Act 5 was the best part of the whole singleplayer experience. Pretty much every match feels like it's progressing the story, and there are no repeated levels.

Comment

Working...
                              X