Playing without antivirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing without antivirus

I use to play online games with the antivirus disabled (to avoid conflicts and drops in performance), while I keep the firewall (windows) active. Is this dangerous? Is the risk of infection high?

It's fine. Just run it while you're not playing.

UT3 on the other hand, forces you to not only turn off your anti-virus, but to actually uninstall it!! At least those of us who use AVG. Which is a ton of people.

Obviously this is an issue, and one assumes Epic is working on a fix.

Comment

Originally posted by R.Flagg View Post
      It's fine. Just run it while you're not playing.

UT3 on the other hand, forces you to not only turn off your anti-virus, but to actually uninstall it!! At least those of us who use AVG. Which is a ton of people.

Obviously this is an issue, and one assumes Epic is working on a fix.
      Omg !! Well as long as u play online u aint browsing any dubious sites with threats that coulds jeaperdise (orhowdafckeveritsspelled) ur system, so while playing ur not getting any viruses or ad-ware with your AV turned off. Dont worry m8

Comment

I'm runing UT3 with AVG 7.5 (updated it daily) active and don't have not one issue with the game + AVG.

Comment

I use avast! and UT3 runs fine for me online.

R.Flagg, do you know if any AVG users have contacted that company to see if there is a fix? I kinda don't see the responsibility being laid upon Epic's shoulders for this, since it obviously does not occur with all AVG users.

Comment

I use Avast too with no issues. I never turn it off. It you want with most antivirus packages you can selectively exclude files and folders from scanning. But I'm in the better safe than sorry category so leaving it on since content can be downloaded just in case.

Comment

i run AVG and did not have to uninstall. I simply turn it off, play, then turn it back on.

Comment

Originally posted by Valgua View Post
                I use to play online games with the antivirus disabled (to avoid conflicts and drops in performance), while I keep the firewall (windows) active. Is this dangerous? Is the risk of infection high?
                Why do you do this? I open all channels for UT in my Norton INternet Security and i have no problems with low ping etc. And it is saver ! Only when NIS download new virus-definitions - - then i have problems to play !

Comment

Originally posted by NEPH1L1M View Post
                  Why do you do this? I open all channels for UT in my Norton INternet Security and i have no problems with low ping etc. And it is saver ! Only when NIS download new virus-definitions - - then i have problems to play !
                  people do this because anti-virus is usually a resource hog. You are not risking anything by playing without. Just make sure you turn it back on before browsing on the internet.

Comment

Hi

Maybe it makes more sense to use security software (AV, PF, HIPS...)
                    which goes well together with online gaming
                    than to turn improper apps on and off all the time.

Cheers

Comment

If you know what your doing there is no need for an anti-virus program at all. I havent used one for years and I've had no virus related problems. With that said you should be fine having it disabled in game.

Comment

Originally posted by Biznarie View Post
                        If you know what your doing there is no need for an anti-virus program at all. I havent used one for years and I've had no virus related problems. With that said you should be fine having it disabled in game.
                        Select an Online AV and give it a try.
                        http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/
                        http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner
                        http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

I'm curious

Comment

Originally posted by Killerus View Post
                          i run AVG and did not have to uninstall. I simply turn it off, play, then turn it back on.
                          Me, too. No AVG problems. In fact, half the time I don't even turn it off. I'm not even certain I can tell that much difference in FPS between on or off.

Comment

Working...
                          X